Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #31
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Was he a heavy smoker?
I don't know.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #32
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
This is a very bad year for authors, far too many are leaving us.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #33
Bompa65
Connoisseur
Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Vox
Sadly missed

A great loss to the readers, like myself, of his many works.
Bompa65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #34
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I read a few of his books in high school before I was an adult and learned what awful tripe most of it was (the later books anyways). Too young to go though. RIP.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
For those interested, C-SPAN has a series of video interviews with Tom Clancy:
  • 2004 -- Book Discussion on Battle Ready (1.4 hr)
  • 2003 -- National Book Festival Gala (1.0 hr)
  • 2002 -- In Depth with Tom Clancy (3.0 hr)
  • 1999 -- Book Discussion on Every Man a Tiger (0.9 hr)
  • 1998 -- Book Discussion on Rainbow Six (1.0 hr)
  • 1997 -- Book Discussion on Into the Storm (1.0 hr)
  • 1996 -- Writing Political Fiction / Executive Orders (0.5 hr)
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #36
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Red Storm Rising" is my favourite.
You may want to read "Red Phoenix" by Larry Bond as it is written in a similar style.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #37
bbqncigars
PDA dino
bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, Rooted NC, Voyages(2)
I haven't read one of his books in years. I liked the first few Jack Ryan books, and I envy anyone who owns/operates his own tank. :-)

RIP Mr. Clancy
bbqncigars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #38
Mhtsos
Enthusiast
Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Iconia A210,Sony PRS-T1(sold),Cybook Orizon,Kobo Glo,Kindle PW2
Big fan of the movie Red October,the book though was a mediocre at best.
Didn't bother with his other novels,too propagandish for my taste.
Mhtsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #39
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyphemus View Post
You may want to read "Red Phoenix" by Larry Bond as it is written in a similar style.
And Larry Bond was an uncredited co-author on Red Storm Rising. (I enjoyed both books).

For me, Clancy started really strong and then dropped off:

Red Storm Rising, Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, and Cardinal of the Kremlin really stood out for me - as did Rainbow 6 and Bear and Dragon.

I'm thankful for the books I enjoyed, but it's been a long time since I've really looked forward to a Tom Clancy book.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:24 AM   #40
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I remember really enjoying Hunt for Red October (especially) and Red Storm Rising when they first came out. I didn't enjoy others he wrote nearly as much, I think because he was better in the cold war context.

(I think the same about John LeCarre, who, while a much better writer, IMO, kind of lost his subject after the Cold War ended).

It's also kind of hard to overemphasize how influential Clancy was on the thriller genre; at the time he wrote Red October, there was nothing like it; now it seems like everything is like it.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #41
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqncigars View Post
I haven't read one of his books in years. I liked the first few Jack Ryan books, and I envy anyone who owns/operates his own tank. :-)

RIP Mr. Clancy
Ha...I forgot all about the tank until I saw mention of it in the nice obit from the NYTimes last week.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #42
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
was anything ever released on cause of death?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #43
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
was anything ever released on cause of death?
Not that I've heard of. It was a sudden illness is all I've been able to find. Of course he died at Johns Hopkins so it could have been his heart or cancer I'm thinking. And the rumor mill is in full swing. I've seen where some apparently think that the Gov. had him killed because he was some sort of threat or where he (is supposed to have) committed suicide because he saw something worse coming as his end because of course you can't just die suddenly of an illness. All nonsense of course. People do die suddenly all the time. My one aunt's husband went suddenly several yrs ago. He'd never been sick, then round Thanksgiving that year it was found he had liver cancer (he'd had no symptoms) and right after Christmas that year he died. You don't have to be old or have had bad health for a long period of time before dying though.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #44
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
" Can't die suddenly" ?

LOL. Who says that? Tell it to my (then) 78 year old neighbor. In good health, no problems to speak of. Tended his 10x50m garden all by himself without any serious difficulty. A healthy, strong senior as you'd ever find.

One day he said: "I don't feel so well. I think I'll quit for today."

He didn't even make it to the living room. He just dropped dead while pouring a drink in the kitchen. RIP.

Last edited by Katsunami; 10-05-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyphemus View Post
I have read it. Not a patch on "Red Storm Rising", IMHO.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote