Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you female or male?
female 80 42.55%
male 97 51.60%
both 2 1.06%
none 0 0%
Does the blue one next to the fish have a gender? 9 4.79%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #31
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
My wife has informed me that I'm definitely male.

I don't pick up my dirty socks, ignore crying babies, surf the TV endlessly and would rather watch Competitive Nosepicking on TV than talk about our relationship. What did you think I meant?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:58 PM   #32
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
i have girlfriends but that proves nothing, i go to a uralogist but that also proves nothing, i do a great henry kissinger as marylin monroe drag routine so i must be male
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #33
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDuke View Post
i have girlfriends but that proves nothing, i go to a uralogist but that also proves nothing, i do a great henry kissinger as marylin monroe drag routine so i must be male
You know, I'd probably watch that on TV, so even more proof.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #34
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
This duck is definitely a chick!

I used to read historical "bodice rippers" but they all seemed to be the same so I stopped. I prefer murder mysteries and Stephen King type horror. I have, in the last year, started reading paranormal romance and I like it. I didn't intend to read it, I thought I was reading about vampires and werewolves but a lot more of them have romantic story lines (I always root for the living over the dead).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:21 PM   #35
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Curly is definitely girly (and no, I don't read that many romance novels).
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 03:55 PM   #36
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Aha! A clue!
Maybe, maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
They're dreadful! It is the same story format over and over and over and....
I wouldn't know first hand. Like I said, I've never read any. But I've heard similar comments many times. Guess you can't knock something unless you try it, but just never felt the desire to read them. I think my own romantic imagination is fertile enough.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:20 PM   #37
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Surprise! At the moment we have almost as many women as men here. In the German poll 72% are male and only 28% are female (so far).
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:41 PM   #38
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Romance - female. SF - male. To make a couple of wildly extravagant generalisations.
I is a girl, and I read LOTS of Fantasy, SF, and a little bit of Romance. Most of my early reading was SF, Fantasy, and SF/Fantasy as my parents had a huge SF/Fantasy type collection for me to raid.

I did of course read the requisite 'Anne of Green Gables' and 'Little House on the Prairie' which I saw on almost all my friends bookshelves whether they actually read them or not. Gifts from parents who thought they "should" like that sort of book I guess. My favourite childhood series was Narnia though, I always loved the idea of talking animals who didn't talk baby talk.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:45 PM   #39
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
According to the Romance Writers of America website:

"Gender of Romance Readers
78% of romance readers are female
22% of romance readers are male"

Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #40
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
(I can do both at the same time, but over 99% of the time I'm more interested in reading than talking to whoever has interrupted me )
I resemble that remark! Nothing worse that sinking into a well crafted book world, getting really into the plight of the characters and then being asked to 'get me a snack' or 'play with me' by a 5 yr old who has no idea why this is a bad time to ask. *sigh* Not that I don't love the kid, but sometimes I just want to relax and read.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #41
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

Gender of Romance *Writers*:
78% male
22% female

(just kidding, I have no idea)
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #42
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:

That's just who ADMITS to it, ya think?
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #43
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I don't pick up my dirty socks, ignore crying babies, surf the TV endlessly and would rather watch Competitive Nosepicking on TV than talk about our relationship. What did you think I meant?
Gee, by that criteria, I'm male as well!! Who knew??
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #44
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Gee, by that criteria, I'm male as well!! Who knew??

oh, so tempting...
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #45
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
They're dreadful! It is the same story format over and over and over and....
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Not always.

It's like romantic comedy movies.
Which are basically the same story format over and over and over ....

boy meets girl
boy loses girl
boy gets girl again after a series of comedic mishaps
everyone lives happily ever after

All I remember about those few romance novels I read is that the heroine always has good taste in clothing and furniture (even though she is poor), usually prefers subtle colors like gray over gaudy things and colors and can always pick out a good Aubusson carpet.

I had no idea what an Aubusson carpet was when I was that age, but there were always one or two mentioned in those books ... and the heroine could always pick 'em.

I remember lots of references to "heaving breasts" .... but then "heaving" to me was throwing up, so got a few mixed signals about what the women were really doing, unless they really were throwing up.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote