Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-11-2024, 07:15 PM   #31
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi BeckyEbook
Thank you! I already found your FindReplace font family and size one and added it to the new Advanced Topics chapter but will add the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
My experiments don't always lend themselves to wider use, and then I'm the only person in the world who uses such non-standard settings, because, after all, it's mostly about individual taste.
I work in Sigil practically every day, so my preferences are simply due to the mode of this work, which is why, among other things, I have a validation results box above Code View, because I mostly analyze the results of validation plugins.
It is also important to note that my changes are more about Windows in a Classic Sigil Dark Theme.

Code:
/* Setting the monotype font in the Find and Replace fields */
/* Instead of "Consolas" use your favorite font, preferably the one you use in Code View. */
#cbFind, #cbReplace {font-family: "Consolas"; font-size: 12px;}

/* Change the default selection color to a similar green color scheme for the new logo/icon. */ 
*::separator,
*::handle,
*::tab-bar,
*::tab,
*::section {
  selection-background-color: #00404a;
  selection-color: white;
}

/* Sigil version number in About box in different color */
QLabel#lbVersionDisplay {color: #FFA000;}

/* Gray background in About box on Authors tab */
QTextEdit#creditsDisplay {background-color: #323232;}

/* Gray background of the BookBrowser panel */
#bookbrowser {background-color: #323232;}

/* No BookBrowser panel borders  */
#bookbrowser {border: 1px solid #323232;}

/* No Find&Replace panel borders */
QFrame {border: 1px solid #323232;}
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2024, 07:30 PM   #32
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
My experiments don't always lend themselves to wider use, and then I'm the only person in the world who uses such non-standard settings, because, after all, it's mostly about individual taste.
@BeckyEbook - I use your version of "toolbars" in sigil_v6.ini.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-08-12 09_13_10-Sigil_User_Guide_2022.05.17.epub - epub3.0 - Sigil.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	548.2 KB
ID:	210124

I really like the extra/repositioned dock zones above Codeview and to the left of Preview.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2024, 08:20 PM   #33
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes that change was added to help older ADE ereaders deal with covers. It was made since the last version of the users guide so please update it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Okay. Also, I noticed that the default cover file text shown in the User Guide does not appear to be the same default text I get when don't add a template. Not sure if that's something I'm doing or misunderstanding or if I should update this in the User Guide.

What's in the User Guide:

Spoiler:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title>Cover</title>
</head>

<body>
<div style="text-align: center; padding: 0pt; margin: 0pt;">

[...etc.]

What I get with the beta:

Spoiler:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>
<!DOCTYPE html>

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops">
<head>
<title>Cover</title>
</head>
<body>
<div style="height: 100vh; text-align: center; padding: 0pt; margin: 0pt;">

[... etc]

Should I update?
Old 08-11-2024, 08:52 PM   #34
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
BTW,
While testing version 2.3.0 (beta2) on Windows, I think I see a bug.
With "User Classic Sigil Dark Theme" enabled, the two close/undock images are very tiny.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sigil-2-3-0-beta2-close-undock-issue.png
Views:	26
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	210125  
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2024, 09:35 PM   #35
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
BTW,
While testing version 2.3.0 (beta2) on Windows, I think I see a bug.
With "User Classic Sigil Dark Theme" enabled, the two close/undock images are very tiny.
If I followed the code correctly they should be the same undock and close svg icons used in the SigilDarkStyle.cpp i.e. determined by win-dark-style.qss in the Resource_Files/dark/ resource.

Which gives us the following:

QDockWidget::float-button, QDockWidget::close-button {
border: transparent;
background: transparent;
padding: 0;
icon-size: 9px;
}

QDockWidget {
titlebar-normal-icon: url(:/dark/undock.svg);
titlebar-close-icon: url(':/dark/dock-close.svg');
}

The ones when the native qt dark mode for windows are set by qss in main.cpp :

const QString LINWIN_DOCK_TITLEBAR_FIX =
"QDockWidget { "
" titlebar-close-icon: url(:/dark/dock-close.svg);"
" titlebar-normal-icon: url(:/dark/undock.svg);"
"}";

So both dark themes use the exact same svg images. But the classic dark theme uses smaller dock titlebar icons because of qss icon-size.

But that code is over 5 years old and I think you wrote it or helped write it, correct?

Last edited by KevinH; 08-11-2024 at 09:40 PM.
Advert
Old 08-11-2024, 10:30 PM   #36
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Indeed.
In beta1 (July 7) the problem also occurred. I need to check it more thoroughly.
I also switched to Qt 6.7.2, and there is probably a hidden reason for this strange behavior somewhere. I will try to investigate it.
Old 08-11-2024, 10:50 PM   #37
KevinH
Sigil Developer

We could always increase the win-dark-style.qss icon-size of 9px for QDockWidget Icons in the classic dark theme to make it bigger, but I wonder what in Qt6 changed that requires we change it. Perhaps a bug fix in Qt or Qt6 removal of the highdpi for Windows?
Old 08-11-2024, 10:58 PM   #38
BeckyEbook
Guru

Just change to 16px.

I also thought of something related to HighDPI, so you can:
a) do nothing (any user can fix it for themselves via qss)
b) however, change it to 16px
c) wait for the posts of other beta2 users on Windows, whether they see tiny icons and whether adding code to qss improves the situation:
Code:
  icon-size: 16px;
}
On screenshot from BetterRed we see tiny icons: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=32
Old 08-11-2024, 11:47 PM   #39
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Just change to 16px.

I also thought of something related to HighDPI, so you can:
a) do nothing (any user can fix it for themselves via qss)
b) however, change it to 16px
c) wait for the posts of other beta2 users on Windows, whether they see tiny icons and whether adding code to qss improves the situation:
Code:
  icon-size: 16px;
}

On screenshot from BetterRed we see tiny icons: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=32
works for me, especially after I bumped it up 20px.

BR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2024-08-12 134257.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	210126  
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2024, 06:34 AM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I would rather let users tweak the dock close icon sizes themselves on Windows (with qss). They don't look tiny on my Windows machines (one laptop and one virtual) and I dislike the notion of hard coding sizes.

I used our pre-exising dark icons to fix Qt's broken hardcoded xpm ones (they look horrible with dark themes), but that's about as far as I'd like to go down the rabbit hole of trying to "fix" the inherent Qt6.5+ fusion dark theme's inadequacies on Windows for everyone. Nothing is going to work for everyone's dpi and/or fractional scaling settings.

Never mind: I just noticed that this is with our Classic dark theme. My bad. Perhaps we simply remove the 9 pixel qss from SigilDarKTheme in Qt6.7+? It seems to work Ok in the inherent dark theme without any pixel size specifications.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-12-2024 at 06:39 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2024, 06:54 AM   #41
BeckyEbook
Guru

Great idea.
I removed the font-size from win-dark-style.qss and built Sigil.
Everything is fine.
If I remember correctly Qt5 required this entry, because otherwise it didn't work.

@KevinH: So you can add this entry in QSS for those who want close and undock icons larger or smaller for the Advanced Topics chapter.

Upon reflection: I think Qt6 fixed a bug with Qt5, because since the font-size entry was not needed it is now just "normal".
Old 08-12-2024, 08:34 AM   #42
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Great idea.
I removed the font-size from win-dark-style.qss and built Sigil.
Everything is fine.
If I remember correctly Qt5 required this entry, because otherwise it didn't work.
Great. Thanks for checking!

I was actually able to see the tiny icon size on my Windows machines after all. So something definitely seems to have changed with Qt6.7. I did most of my Windows dual-dark-theme work when we were still on Qt6.6.3 and didn't notice anything (and believe me--I was looking! ).

I'm not going to try to ifdef its application to 6.7+ or anything, because: 1) it's Windows-only and we're shipping the Windows installer with Qt6.7.2; and 2) the .qss solution is always available if it does happen to manifest with other versions of home-built Windows Sigil.
Old 08-12-2024, 08:53 AM   #43
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I have now pushed that change - remove hard coded icon size in classic dark mode to Sigil master.

I will add the qss code to change the size to the Advanced Topics chapter in the sigil-user-guide. (update - now added)

Last edited by KevinH; 08-12-2024 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-12-2024, 09:10 AM   #44
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I did the same for the inspector dockwidget in PageEdit.
Old 08-12-2024, 09:40 AM   #45
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I am going to update the base.ts one more time because of a tooltip change and line number changes, then I would say we are in good shape for 2.3.0.

The user guide, once odamizu's changes are in place, will be in a good place too.

Thanks to all that helped with the user-guide and with testing both Beta 1 and Beta 2.