Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-28-2009, 02:05 PM   #31
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
OMG I have been waiting for this for years. I had the CD collectiion and gave them to my brother because it was too many disc making the set and the images were not very clear. The DVD set was out and stopped too fast to get my hands on. Ebay had them for sale for awhile but at too high a cost.

Complete National Geographic Features:
Digital reproduction of all 120 years of National Geographic Magazine
Highest production quality on DVD
Digital scans are high resolution for optimal viewing of images
Easy to navigate and explore content
Search by keyword, author contributor, topic
Visual geographic search
Discover content through NG-created, or user-created “Read Lists
Zoom in/out of pages
Reading and search experiences significantly enhanced
Modern, graphical user interface
Explore and discover approaches to content
Geospatial browsing
Trivia Game to drive content discovery
Now Featuring Fold-Out Maps
The most popular feature of National Geographic Magazine
Bonus DVD includes video extras not available anywhere else
Best Moments of National Geographic
Photography tips
Narratives by award-winning NG photographers
Attached Images

Last edited by pagansoul; 10-28-2009 at 02:15 PM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #32
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
OMG I have been waiting for this for years. I had the CD collectiion and gave them to my brother because it was too many disc making the set and the images were not very clear. The DVD set was out and stopped too fast to get my hands on. Ebay had them for sale for awhile but at too high a cost.
I only noticed it was there because my internet connection was erratic. So, I was browsing around on my HD and found some old images there. So, I decided to check if there was a new version, and lo and behold, there will be! I mean, I could have not checked and only found out today (due to my reading this forum )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #33
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I ordered the set and it was delivered today.

The pages aren't just image files anymore. They do sharpen a bit when you zoom in, now...

Putting it on my reader (JE100) took a bit more work because of this, but I managed to make jpg files from one article (using a XPS "printer"). I then rar'ed those images and opened them with my comic reader (just to see how it would look and I don't have a PDF printer...)

See the attachments for the difference in quality... (I had to scale down the new one to get the same size as the old one: the new page cutting was 1237x892, the old page cutting is 388x285...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	39603   Click image for larger version

Name:	new.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	39604  
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:50 AM   #34
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My question is whether a modern scan of that magazine is also automatically in the public domain.
The current US case law seems pretty clear. Here's a quick recent summary with good links:

http://theartlawblog.blogspot.com/20...n-v-corel.html

However, this is only a district court ruling. It it not binding on any other court. However, it's also worth noting that it wasn't appealed and no similar lawsuit has been filed in the US. IMO all the institutions are worried that any such case might eventually result in a binding Supreme Court decision against them.

The UK law is less clear. But I think that if any such case was brought it would eventually lose. The Museums Copyrigth Grouo have an interesting page on this situation:

http://www.museumscopyright.org.uk/bridge.htm

Essentially, they're asserting that they do have copyright (in UK) of images of out-of-copyright works, and that in any case, they now have contracts surrounding released images that would prevent reproduction even if they didn't have copyright.

I very much hope that eventually they annoy someone with big pockets enough that there's a test case.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #35
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
I downloaded to take a look - I am not sure I understand the organization of the folders - to me it seems the magazines are split between different folders - can you offer any insight?
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #36
kjohn73
kjohn73 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kjohn73 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kjohn73 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kjohn73 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony 505, PRS T1
DVD set - Natiional Geographic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
Thank you for posting this deal. I just ordered a set!

Although I have never subscribed, we used to get the magazine from my ex-wife's parents. I have a soft spot when National geographic is mentioned - My dear old Dad told me that in the Dirty Thirties, he was so terribly hard-up that he had to give up his subscription to the NG. He said the subscription was only a dollar or two for the whole year, but he just couldn't afford it. That story has instilled in me a very sober appreciation of being able to afford books and magazines, now e-this and that. I'll have my Dad in mind when I dig into these DVD's!

kjohn73

Last edited by kjohn73; 11-24-2009 at 12:41 AM.
kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #37
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
I downloaded to take a look - I am not sure I understand the organization of the folders - to me it seems the magazines are split between different folders - can you offer any insight?
It is fairly straight-forward-- folders that start with a 1 are from the 19th century, folders that start with a 2 are from the 20th century. Second two numbers are the year in that century. Letters A-L are the month of the year. So, for instance, folder 221G has the issue from July 1921, folder 198K has the issue from November 1898, and so on.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #38
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
If anyone has a BJ's membership, it's $39.99. Also available online.
http://shop.bjs.com/The-Complete-Nat...VVviewprod.htm

I hope someone develops an easy way to batch transfer a magazine to a reader.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #39
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
It is fairly straight-forward-- folders that start with a 1 are from the 19th century, folders that start with a 2 are from the 20th century. Second two numbers are the year in that century. Letters A-L are the month of the year. So, for instance, folder 221G has the issue from July 1921, folder 198K has the issue from November 1898, and so on.
Thanks ok that makes sense - it is strange how the pages are not ordered as they were in the magazine but rather the middle section first where the articles and pictures are and then the back cover, front cover and all the ads
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote