Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-13-2022, 05:52 AM   #31
buyifan43
Enthusiast
buyifan43 began at the beginning.

Device: KPW 4 and KT2
What I'm thinking is that since they started removing ads from those kindle readers sold on amazon china, they were starting to consider stopping their operation in china, as no one would want to lose such a big advertising market.
buyifan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:59 AM   #32
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwang View Post
When considering purchasing online, Amazon does not come to my mind.
Well... it's basically the same in the Netherlands for many people. We have our own "Amazon" in the form of Bol.com, and they have been in operation since the late 90's. For electronics, we have Coolblue, and for specialized computer parts we have stores such as Azerty. Photography is done mostly by Kamera-Express nowadays.

Amazon can do all of it, but because they they sell a MASSIVE amount of tiny stuff (and junk...) through third-party sellers, many people regard Amazon as a website where you get "nick-nacks"; such as a cover for your iPhone 13, but very few people in the Netherlands would actually buy the iPhone itself at Amazon. To be honest, I think most people wouldn't even buy the KINDLE itself at Amazon itself. (Nowadays it is also available through some other stores.)

Paper books are often bough through Bol.com as well (that is how they primarily started), or Bruna.nl; even the English versions. I don't think many people will go to Amazon for their paper books, especially because the price in the Netherlands is regulated. This means that a paper book has a set price, and costs the same everywhere give or take €0.05 or a (very occasional) promotion.

So yeah, I can see where you're coming from. Even though I have been buying stuff from Amazon.de and Amazon.co.uk for a LONG time (almost 20 years now) and I occasionally buy somthing through Amazon.nl, I never bought anything substantial there. With "substantial" I mean stuff where I would maybe need the guarantee within the next two years after purchase. I doubt I'll ever buy a TV or a laptop (or phone/tablet/computer monitor...) through Amazon. The only things I buy either work (and then will probably work forever), don't work or aren't up to expectation (then they'll be sent back) or work, and I don't really care if they break in 5 years (cheap stuff such as a tablet stand).
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2022, 10:32 AM   #33
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
... I never bought anything substantial there. With "substantial" I mean stuff where I would maybe need the guarantee within the next two years after purchase. I doubt I'll ever buy a TV or a laptop (or phone/tablet/computer monitor...) through Amazon ...
I live in the USA and I am much the same. I'm not going to buy something expensive off of Amazon. And I don't buy from 3rd party sellers there either - unless it is "fulfilled by Amazon" and can be returned for free. I think the most expensive item I have ever bought from Amazon was maybe $125. And that was way over my normal purchases, which tend to be items $50 and under.

Little stuff is great though. Say I need another microSD memory card - it's very convenient to order it at lunchtime and have it arrive at my doorstep at dinnertime. I live about 10 miles away from a huge Amazon fulfillment center, about 20 miles away for another one just as large, and I think (not sure) there may even be a 3rd warehouse in my immediate area. Same day or next day delivery is the norm in my area for items that they have in the local distribution centers - which are the majority of what I order. They even deliver in the middle of the night. I can order something at bedtime and it shows up at 4:00am - it's out there on the porch when I go to retrieve the newspaper from the driveway in the morning. As many bad things as people say about Amazon, I will admit that if you happen to live near one of their large distribution centers, they certainly have their delivery services fine tuned to a science.

Sometimes you feel bad about ordering from Amazon though - delivery speeds so fast just don't feel like they would be good for the environment. But I suppose since there are Amazon delivery vans crawling all over my town all the time it's not like they're using the gasoline just to deliver my little order all by itself. Those vans are probably full of hundreds of orders, and they are well coordinated from the warehouse to run very efficient routes to drive the shortest distances between delivery stops. If you're not near a distribution center, their speeds drop dramatically. I just ordered one of those same microSD cards for my daughter, who lives in Hawaii, and the delivery time for that is estimated at 1-1/2 weeks. Plus, there's usually an unexpected delay at the end in Hawaii. They don't seem to be terribly rushed about anything over there.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:35 PM   #34
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrsbfrkv View Post
From China as well, and new account for obvious reasons.

Actually it's your point 3 that's the reason. Companies need license to distribute content in China, books/music/movie, you name it. The caveat is foreign company can not apply on its own, so Amazon has to choose a Chinese partner, and its partnership bailed out. If you need reference, during the first few days after this announcement, on a certain programmer forum some insiders described the way Amazon circumvented numerous regulations, but by now they are all censored.

Overall I'm pretty amazed Amazon pulled this off for so long actually. Because you can not name another foreign company which distribute books in China, period. Among those cultural content, the control over books is the most tight. Even Apple has to quietly close down iBooks in China after a pretty high-profile announcement a few years back, and mind you Apple has great great relation with China gov.

Point 1 and 2 is kinda irrelevant because same can be said outside China as well. The audiences simply don't overlap.

Precisely. TikTok/Zoom can be advertised as No.1 all day long in the US, while western companies get blocked behind GFW without a trace, most ppl don't even know their existence. This is the problem.
Exactly this. Bing mysteriously shut down a few times before quickly rebooting, yet even now many search queries return “no results”. These aren’t politically sensitive or anything and I can only hypothesize why this is the case. Kindle was the most open bookstore in China. I live here and so I don’t wish to be political, but the regular selection of books have always been available. As a foreigner living here, it made me feel at home and after I realized Kobo wasn’t allowed here Kindle and Bing always made me feel like I had an acceptable compromise.
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 10:51 AM   #35
Symphony Kemp
Symphony Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Symphony Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Symphony Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Symphony Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Symphony Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Symphony Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Symphony Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Symphony Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Symphony Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Symphony Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Symphony Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I am the moderator of the kindle forum under Baidu Tieba in China.

I am the moderator of the kindle forum under Baidu Tieba in China. The record of Amazon's kindle business exiting China is unexpected and reasonable. Amazon paid $75 million for Joyo in 2004, and it took seven years to digest the company. Change the website name to "Amazon China". Joyo.com was a very popular website in China at the time. But after Amazon took over, it declined because of Amazon's mismanagement. Amazon's market share in China has declined from 15.4% at the beginning to less than 1% in 2018. This is not because of political regulation in China, the Great Firewall, etc., but because of stupidity. The decision-making power of the Chinese team is still firmly in the hands of the US headquarters, which has led to Amazon's 15 years in China, which has been following the business strategy of the US headquarters, which is difficult to change.
Kindle is the only remaining advantage item of Amazon China. But in the context of the overall decline of Amazon's Chinese market, it makes sense to give up.
WeChat Reading and other reading brands often use the strategy of free reading, relying on advertising fees and even losses to survive and attack other competitors. The kindle store can't adapt to this change, it looks old-fashioned and old. Even Steam China supports convenient Alipay and WeChat payment, but the payment method of kindle is more cumbersome.

我是中国百度贴吧下的kindle论坛的吧主。亚马逊的kindle业务退出中国记载意料之外,也在情理之 中。亚马逊在2004年开价7500万美元收购卓越网,花费了7年时间才消化掉了该公司。把网站名字改成“ 亚马逊中国”。卓越网在当时是中国一个很有人气的i单上网站。但是亚马逊接手后因为亚马逊管理不善而衰落。 亚马逊中国的市场占有率,却从一开始的15.4%一路下滑,至2018年已不足1%。这并非是因为中国方面 的政治监管、长城防火墙之类,就是因为愚蠢。中国团队的决策权,仍牢牢地握在美国本部手中,这导致亚马逊在 华15年,一直沿用美国本部的商业策略,难以变通。
kindle是亚马逊中国仅剩的优势项目。但是在亚马逊中国市场整体衰退的背景下,放弃也在情理中了。
微信读书和其它阅读品牌经常使用免费阅读的战略,依靠广告费,甚至是亏损来生存、打击其它竞争对手。kin dle商店无法适应这种变化,它显得古板和老旧。连steam中国都支持便捷的支付宝和微信支付,但是ki ndle的支付方式就比较繁琐。

I came to this website by accident a few years ago, but I don’t know why the website refused my account registration. I tried it today and I was able to successfully register an account.

我几年前偶然进入到过这个网站,但不知道为什么网站拒绝我的账号注册,今天我试了试,居然能成功注册账号了 。
Symphony Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2022, 10:54 AM   #36
Symphony Kemp
Symphony Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Symphony Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Symphony Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Symphony Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Symphony Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Symphony Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Symphony Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Symphony Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Symphony Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Symphony Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Symphony Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Here are some references in Chinese and responses from the Chinese kindle forums.

https://baijiahao.baidu.com/s?id=172...=spider&for=pc

https://www.aikaitao.com/141243.html

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7860341714
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7865895585
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7860469154
Symphony Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:06 PM   #37
Mike Li
Mike Li began at the beginning.

Device: KW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
This is the number one reason why I remove DRM from the eBooks that I buy:

"Amazon will stop supplying Chinese resellers with its Kindle eBook readers starting Thursday and discontinue operations of its Kindle eBook store in the country on June 30, 2023."

https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/a...ok-store-china

I'm assuming this is being done because of something the Chinese government has done that upsets online retailers. Who knows - but the reason doesn't matter. The ones affected by Amazons pull-out are the Chinese customers who bought Kindles and eBooks. Chances are quite high that these customers did not do anything wrong, but they are the ones catching the punishment anyway.

Don't download your books, don't remove the DRM from them - and you are screwed if you live in China. Probably will be the same in Russia pretty soon.
In fact, we didn't do that. In China, not many people pay attention to this matter. On this matter, what we are express more is regret.For example, I bought kwp4 two years ago after I graduated from high school, but now they tell me that they have withdrawn from the market.Now I look everywhere for a way to break jail, but the system version is too high to do this.事实上我们没有这么做。在中国,关注此事的人并不多。在这件事上,我们更多表达的是惋惜。比如我 ,我在高中毕业后,也就是两年前购买了KWP4,现在他们却告诉我他们退出了市场。现在我到处寻找破解方法 ,却发现我的系统版本太高了。
Mike Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:42 AM   #38
rantanplan
Weirdo
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Shine Color, Tolino Vision 6, Kobo Clara 2E, Boox Note Air 2+
You can continue using your PW4 by using Calibre to convert and transfer your books to it. No jailbreak needed.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote