Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-26-2017, 06:37 AM   #31
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
My Mum is the same, she has an old Kindle Keyboard and I gave her my Paperwhite to try for a week to see if she wanted to upgrade, but she didn't like the touch screen compared to the page turn buttons*, and wasn't that fussed about the light either. Her Kindle is about 7 years old now and still going strong. I personally wouldn't go back to a non-lighted reader, but that apart, the screen/text on the KK still stands up well IMHO.

*To be fair I think those page turn buttons on the KK were the best ever.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:41 AM   #32
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Speaking of older kindles, some deals on woot today:
http://sellout.woot.com/plus/kindle-...t_gw_dly_wobtn
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2017, 02:55 PM   #33
Amiieey
Connoisseur
Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Likebook Mars, Kindle Fire HD 8
I'm thinking of getting a Kindle 5 for the page turn buttons now. Some really great points in this thread. It's a shame those Woot deals can't be used by Canadians though
Amiieey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:04 PM   #34
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I have several Kindle Keyboards, and I wouldn't change them for any other ereader. I like the physical keyboard and page turn buttons, I like the open 3G, which I use to check my email when I'm in the country (can't do this on any other ereader), and, most of all, I like that it is easy to change the battery, screen, motherboard or anything else. The battery is not glued in.

Last edited by montalex; 03-26-2017 at 08:47 PM.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:17 PM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
To be fair I think those page turn buttons on the KK were the best ever.
Personally I far, far prefer the haptic sensors on the Voyage, but each to their own. Half the time, when I picked up my K3 I'd inadvertently change the page.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2017, 11:31 PM   #36
Amiieey
Connoisseur
Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does anyone know if the DX is still good to use these days? Or does the constant refresh every page bugs anyone? Someone I know has a DX that they're willing to sell to me but not sure if they hold up well.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:27 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Depends what the price is. You can get much better 9.7" eInk devices, certainly. The DX is rather long in the tooth - it's basically a Kindle 2 with a 9.7" screen. It has 3G, but no WiFi, although whether the 3G would still work, I don't know. Perhaps someone else could comment on that?
Old 03-27-2017, 08:45 AM   #38
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a Kindle DXG in which the 3G still works. Unlike my Kindle Keyboards, I'm unable to access gmail on it, but Google, Wikipedia, etc. work. At times I'm sorry I switched the wifi motherboard for one with 3G. It was a DX with wifi that a student gave me, and I converted it to DXG with a graphite face plate. It still has the white buttons and keyboard -- it looks like a saddle shoe.I like it for books with images, but I must admit that I almost never use it. It's quite heavy.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:52 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
At times I'm sorry I switched the wifi motherboard for one with 3G. It was a DX with wifi that a student gave me, and I converted it to DXG with a graphite face plate.
I really think you must have some other Kindle model in mind. No Kindle DX has ever had WiFi.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-27-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:54 PM   #40
montalex
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I really think you must have some other Kindle model in mind. No Kindle DX has ever had WiFi.
D'oh! I forgot why I changed the motherboard -- it was because it had a U.S. only 3G connection, and I needed the International version. Sorry about that!
Old 03-27-2017, 04:57 PM   #41
montalex
Fanatic

And, I must confess, my Kindle Keyboards are very jealous of the Illuminati Kindles.. I get by with a clip-on light, but I'd love to have a lit version... but not enough to give up my easy-under-the-hood home mechanic Keyboards.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:09 PM   #42
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
I got a Kindle Dx last year.

Because of the larger screen, I use it for most of my reading, but it's slow when searching mobi or azw files, and without Kual or Librerator, it's terrible when moving through or searching pdf files [go to > page doesn't work], and it won't display certain pdf files due to incompatibilities. I end up having to do a lot of pre-processing on my Mac.

If, like me, you can't use tablets then it's a good option. If you can use tablets, then you might want to look at some of them instead.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:36 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I believe I'm right in saying, from your previous posts, Marja, that your main issue is that you're unable to use touchscreens, isn't it? For those who can use them, there are enormously more capable large-screen eInk devices available than the Kindle DX.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:34 PM   #44
Amiieey
Connoisseur

I really like the page turn buttons but I hate how it's basically the Kindle 2 but in a much bigger size. I wish there was a similar e-reader but with better software and updated screen type I wish the Kindle Oasis was cheaper. It's so expensive
Old 03-31-2017, 02:20 AM   #45
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
I have a ~6 year old K3 keyboard wifi/3g with it's original optional cover (with light) and it continues to work great. I mainly use it to read before bedtime for 30-60 minutes almost every night.

This has def been a great e-book reader for me and I have never seen any reason to upgrade it. If I was to need a replacement I would prefer to buy another new one but this is no longer possible. Too bad imho.

The battery is starting to get a bit tired and I find that I now need to give it a good charge once a week (compared to once every 3 weeks when it was new). I probably will need a new battery soon. What are the best/easiest battery replacements? Thanks.

I also have a ~6 year old DXG 3g that continues to work fine but I rarely use it now because it is starting to get a bit too heavy to hold (esp. with a cover and external light) with my poor old +60 year hands, lol! Too bad since it is so much nicer to read books with it imho.

edit; btw, both of these still seem to access most websites using the free 3g. I mainly use my home wifi for my K3 though because it is much faster.

Last edited by ThomasC; 03-31-2017 at 02:25 AM.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote