Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-27-2023, 11:29 PM   #44011
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I was asked to do some work remotely a couple of weeks back and I turned it down after a quick look.

Many of the tasks I had automated such as update management were no longer being done. Evidently the VM I had spun up where the management tasks were run was shut down since the person I had trained in using it's management interface left shortly after I did (more money elsewhere) and no one else seemed have been shown how to use it. The system monitoring software which was still running had multiple pages of messages which no one seemed to be paying any attention to despite the daily emails.

I decided after an hour of poking around that it was going to take at least a week to clean up the mess so I suggested that the manager have a current staffer take the time to study my notes and clean up the mess and keep it cleaned up. Otherwise, I could see myself getting another phone call in 6 months.

And yeah, not much has changed and, sadly, it likely won't change that much in the future.
Pooh, dearest:

DO tell me that you are whacking them rather steeply for this?????

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 03:43 PM   #44012
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I charged them for four hours @$175 Cdn per hour.

I suspect that Pooh being of sound mind also charged steeply for the privilege of interrupting his retirement.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 07:23 AM   #44013
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I hope he did!
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 09:04 AM   #44014
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I charged them for four hours @$175 Cdn per hour.

I suspect that Pooh being of sound mind also charged steeply for the privilege of interrupting his retirement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinoptic View Post
I hope he did!
Indeed. If there is one lousy compensation for everything else going straight to hell on those of us that have survived into/near retirement, it should be this, at least--the ability to whack soundly for all those years of industrial memory and knowledge crammed away in the crumbling noggins. (Speaking only for myself, natch.)

Hitch
Old 01-04-2024, 05:09 AM   #44015
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Doing household chores. I've dusted and did my laundry. I've started vacuuming but half way through the hallway the battery went dead, so now I have to wait for it to charge.

Next Wednesday the photographer from the real estate agent is coming, so we've been deep cleaning the house this past week and a half. Over the weekend we did the windows (sliding, with the old fashioned double glazing with two windows about 10 apart, so a lot of tracks) and on Tuesday I deep cleaned the bathroom. My sister's going to tackle the balcony on Saturday and the cleaner's coming on Tuesday and staying an hour longer than normal.

On Tuesday afternoon/evening and Wednesday morning we're "sanitizing" the apartment. According to the instruction you have to remove as much clutter as possible, making it look almost bare. Also my weird things (tarot cards, funko's, weird plushies) will need to be removed, as will be most electronics.

I'll be glad when it's done, but then we're still going to get the viewing day(s). When we, again, have to sanitize our things. And we have to be gone out of the house all day. Not sure where I will go. I'm not one that can spend a day out from early morning until early evening. If there are multiple viewing days and they are consecutive I might book a hotel somewhere and relax. If there is only one day or multiple days not consecutive I might just have to spend the day with my parents.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 08:10 PM   #44016
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Reading on my new Kindle. It’s funny, I haven’t actively used a eink device since my Sony died more than a decade ago. For general reading, I think a regular tablet screen is OK. Though I wanted something to carry my German readers around. Been actively trying to learn German. Was sold on the fact that you can use the Kindle dictionary translation features.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 02:50 PM   #44017
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Reading on my new Kindle. It’s funny, I haven’t actively used a eink device since my Sony died more than a decade ago. For general reading, I think a regular tablet screen is OK. Though I wanted something to carry my German readers around. Been actively trying to learn German. Was sold on the fact that you can use the Kindle dictionary translation features.
While you're learning German, you might look up Mark Twain's The Awful German Language in the appendix of A Tramp Abroad.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 03:18 PM   #44018
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Anos View Post
While you're learning German, you might look up Mark Twain's The Awful German Language in the appendix of A Tramp Abroad.
The most humorous part was that any English speaker would complain about another language having exceptions to rules.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 05:18 AM   #44019
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looking at bikes.

I got my current bike about 20 years ago and the last couple of years I've had to get it repaired regularly. Although it was a new bike, it wasn't the best of quality (Halfords' own brand). So it's time for a new bike.

I've decided against getting an ebike. I just don't cycle long enough distances with it to justify it (I'm hoping to get a job close to our new house). But I do want a transporter bike, those are usually extra sturdy and have an extra carrier rack on the front.

At the moment I'm liking this one.

The have several big stores, so on Thursday my father and I are going to visit the one local to us. Then he can also look for a new bike. Hopefully they have the one I think I want in stock so I can try it out.

I've always had either cheaper new bikes or second (third?) hand bikes. So I'm very excited to get a new, top quality bike. My old one we're going to keep as a spare.
Old 01-15-2024, 05:35 AM   #44020
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Self-led training. Looking at my coffee mug and thinking it needs to be 20x larger.
neil_swann80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 08:59 AM   #44021
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Looking at bikes.

I got my current bike about 20 years ago and the last couple of years I've had to get it repaired regularly. Although it was a new bike, it wasn't the best of quality (Halfords' own brand). So it's time for a new bike.

I've decided against getting an ebike. I just don't cycle long enough distances with it to justify it (I'm hoping to get a job close to our new house). But I do want a transporter bike, those are usually extra sturdy and have an extra carrier rack on the front.

At the moment I'm liking this one.

The have several big stores, so on Thursday my father and I are going to visit the one local to us. Then he can also look for a new bike. Hopefully they have the one I think I want in stock so I can try it out.

I've always had either cheaper new bikes or second (third?) hand bikes. So I'm very excited to get a new, top quality bike. My old one we're going to keep as a spare.
It does look pretty nice. My only gripe would be the lack of a belt drive, but I’ve been spoiled. 😂

Just make sure to pick up a good quality lock too. There’s a couple D-locks on the market now that are angle grinder resistant.
Old 01-15-2024, 09:48 AM   #44022
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

You often forget that cats are tiny murder machines that would probably eat you if you were more bite-size.
Old 01-15-2024, 10:31 AM   #44023
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It does look pretty nice. My only gripe would be the lack of a belt drive, but I’ve been spoiled. ��

Just make sure to pick up a good quality lock too. There’s a couple D-locks on the market now that are angle grinder resistant.
It comes with a certified ring lock and I'm adding a certified chain lock to it. Those are supposedly harder to open than most D locks. And if you make sure the valve of the rear wheel is right next to the ring lock when it's closed almost all bicycle thieves will move on, since the only way to open a ring lock in that situation would be to break the valve.

I don't think the local store has the one I want, and my second choice, in stock to try out. But at least I can get some information about the different types of brakes and which size frame I need.
Old 01-15-2024, 11:58 AM   #44024
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
It does look pretty nice. My only gripe would be the lack of a belt drive, but I’ve been spoiled. 😂

Yeah, looks great!

Hitch
Old 01-15-2024, 12:02 PM   #44025
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
You often forget that cats are tiny murder machines that would probably eat you if you were more bite-size.
I've been reading articles of late that the deadliest predator on the planet, in the wild, is actually a 7-lb cat. A feral cat, yes, but...a cat. it's called the Black-footed cat, (Felis nigripes) averages around 7lbs and apparently, can catch and eat up to 14 "meals" per night and 3,000 annually. Now...allegedly, it's exceedingly cunning.

Yeah, just what I need, a teeny high-brain-function murder machine to go along with my Male Maine Coon, who frankly is the Scooby-Do of the cat world.

Hitch

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?