Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #421
chrisparker
Connoisseur
chrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: iPad Air 4, iPad mini 5, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Nook ST Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip_sands View Post
There is a new calibre version? Newer than 0.9.27?
0.9.28 out Friday, I expect. Will support Kobo Aura HD.
chrisparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #422
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Got mine today! Had to drive to Brighton as not all WH Smith shops have them. Ended up with an "espresso" (i.e. brown) one, which was not what I expected. I thought I'd be going for a black one but I really liked the brown.

Anyway, now having to wait very impatiently for the Calibre upgrade to download all my books onto it! Only because I have no idea how to download directly... time to browse the FAQ on mobileread to see if I can find out.

Last edited by ballfresno; 04-25-2013 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Typographical errors
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #423
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip_sands View Post
There is a new calibre version? Newer than 0.9.27?
Tomorrow there will be.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #424
skip_sands
Enthusiast
skip_sands began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite
@JSWolf & @chrisparker: Nice. Thanks for letting me know.
skip_sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #425
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, copying to the Kobo directly works so I'm all set for my reading today!

Now, the scarily impressive thing is that the first book I tried was the April issue of Analog. It came up in two column mode, just like the real magazine! The same epub on my Kobo Touch comes up in a single column. I am quite impressed, although I may wish to see if I can turn this off...
Advert
Old 04-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #426
chrisparker
Connoisseur
chrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchfork

I mounted a micro-SD and used Calibre to send my books to that device. With the card in the Aura it took a fraction over 5 minutes to process 707 epubs, but it's still creating the covers.

Some of the covers are missing (they all work on the Nook ST Glowlight) but I'm not going to worry about it - I'll see if Calibre 0.9.28 sends them all across correctly.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #427
chrisparker
Connoisseur

And the covers appear to be very low resolution when used as a screensaver. I seem to remember reading something about that in another thread.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #428
ballfresno
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
And the covers appear to be very low resolution when used as a screensaver. I seem to remember reading something about that in another thread.
For my sideloaded Analog issue, the cover image is rendered beautifully. I don't have the image expanded to fill the screen, mind you.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #429
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by glos View Post
and they're going to start shipping them out from May 17th.
Thank you for letting me know. However, that's one month after the announcement Better late than never, right?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #430
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by savbeowulf View Post
Just had google notification the Aura is now available from indigo for our Canadian friends!!!
I just visited the local bookseller, asked to pop in my SD card to test some PDFs, the manager timidly allowed it, and I was impressed. And I bought it.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #431
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I just visited the local bookseller, asked to pop in my SD card to test some PDFs, the manager timidly allowed it, and I was impressed. And I bought it.
I am very tempted to do the same... but I am hoping to get an Aura as a mother's day present, Lord knows I've been dropping enough hints!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #432
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
Check your screensaver setting choices, Chris. The covers seem to be stretched to fill the full screen. If you uncheck Full Screen, the image is smaller,but much nicer. You will get a light background on sleep and a black background when it is off.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #433
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The Aura user guide is now available on the website: http://www.kobo.com/userguides
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #434
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I've seen JSWolf ask something about line spacing in one of the threads, but I can't find that one.... there are some things I wish to know. I've got a Kindle Paperwhite (just 4 months old), but the Kobo does have some nice options that I really like, such as more fonts, more size settings, and the font weight adjustment.

What I'd like to know about the reader is this:

- Do all of those nice font options such as weight adjustment, and the many sizes work on custom fonts? (This would be nice, but no dealbreaker. I can fatten up a custom font if I have to, should I decide to not use one of the built in ones. I use a fattened version of DejaVu Serif on the Kindle.)
- Do all options such as font weight, custom fonts, margins, line spacing, reading progress for chapter, books, and that graph (basically, everything) work for side-loaded epubs? I don't mind converting my epubs to kepubs. I now convert them to AZW3 for my Kindle.
- Can the title and page number at the top and bottom be removed, so there can be 2 extra lines of text?
- When using a serif font, and setting the font size comparable to that of a mass market paperback (on the Kindle, that would be size 3 or 4 depending which paperback you compare to, I mostly use 4), then how much lines can be fitted on the Aura's screen? How many characters can be fitted on one line (with justified text)? My Kindle fits 28-32 lines on screen, and 48-52 characters per line, depending on the font type and size.

If I'm to consider the Aura as a Kindle replacement, I want all of its functions working for side-loaded content, and I want to be able to fit more text on screen than I can with the Kindle, when using the same font size. Otherwise, it won't be worth it for me. The only one I'm willing to forego, is weight adjustment of custom fonts. I can imagine that fonts need to be of some special format to be able to make that work.

By the way, 1440x900 is not a 4:3 resolution. It's 16:10. Don't you find the Aura too "long" to read from? Holding my 10.1 inch tablet with its 16:10 resolution portrait-wise is very awkward, as compared to a 9.7 inch 4:3 tablet such as the iPad. The Kindle is 4:3 too (1024x768), so maybe the Kobo could be too long. But then again, it's not 10.1 inch.

Thanks very much if someone could provide definitive answers to these questions. (Or link to the answers, should I have missed them somewhere.)

Last edited by Katsunami; 04-25-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #435
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
By the way, 1440x900 is not a 4:3 resolution. It's 16:10. Don't you find the Aura too "long" to read from? Holding my 10.1 inch tablet with its 16:10 resolution portrait-wise is very awkward, as compared to a 9.7 inch 4:3 tablet such as the iPad. The Kindle is 4:3 too (1024x768), so maybe the Kobo could be too long. But then again, it's not 10.1 inch.
The Aura is 1440x1080 which makes it a 4:3 resolution.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote