Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-01-2017, 11:17 AM   #421
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Overdrive is now pushing Kindle eBooks. This is a poor design choice.
I like how they now put Kindle first, read online second, and download via ADE last. You can also just have it default to send to Kindle with a setting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	loan.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	159738  

Last edited by jhowell; 11-01-2017 at 11:20 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:20 AM   #422
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Thanks, hopefully the problem will be resolved so I can get the books on to my devices.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 11:44 AM   #423
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I like how they now put Kindle first, read online second, and download via ADE last. You can also just have it default to send to Kindle with a setting.
I find it a horrible design choice. Someone needs to be fired.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:45 AM   #424
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
There is chatter on the Kindle forum on Amazon about it. Seems to be a known problem.

https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/d...ot-found-error

And here: https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/k...-library-books
According to the second thread, Kindle Unlimited is also not working.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-01-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:05 PM   #425
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I find it a horrible design choice. Someone needs to be fired.
Why does someone need to be fired? Because your preferred format (it's mine too btw) isn't at the top of the list? I'd have to guess that OD has data that tells them they have more Kindle downloads than the other types so they've prioritized that in the list. Makes sense to me.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 12:10 PM   #426
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Why does someone need to be fired? Because your preferred format (it's mine too btw) isn't at the top of the list? I'd have to guess that OD has data that tells them they have more Kindle downloads than the other types so they've prioritized that in the list. Makes sense to me.
The best way to handle this is to make the preferred format a selectable option in settings and then you see Kindle or ePub first. Then the layout can remain as it was. That would work best. The new layout is ugly.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:23 PM   #427
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Yes, a preferred format would be a great way to do things I agree.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #428
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I gave up when they made the change. Also Lost 10 Audiobooks I purchased thru different sites they would only work in the WAV [?] Format
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:36 PM   #429
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yes, a preferred format would be a great way to do things I agree.
They did that, but only for Kindle. From What updates have been made to my library's digital collection recently?:

Quote:
October 30, 2017

Updates for libraries that offer Kindle Books (U.S. only):
  • You can now make Kindle your reading preference so you only see the Kindle option for borrowed eBooks.
  • Kindle-compatible eBooks now have a Read now with Kindle button on the Loans page.
  • A new Kindle Books link appears in the site navigation (or under Menu icon on mobile devices) so you can easily see all Kindle-compatible titles in the collection.
The Read in browser and Listen in browser buttons for eBooks and audiobooks were changed to Read now in browser and Listen now in browser.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:48 PM   #430
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
In English, Overdrive just jumped Amazon's bones in a big way.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:45 PM   #431
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I noticed that with the new choices for download type (Kindle being more in-your-face now), that you now longer can see if you have downloaded the book of not. I have books that auto-checkout from the library when they become available, then I have to go to the library "Loan" page and download it. Which is fine. But if you succumb to their push for making Kindle the default format, then you can't tell the difference between a downloaded book and one that is waiting to be downloaded. But if you tell them NOT to make Kindle your default format, then a second download button is present (for ePub) if you haven't downloaded. Once you've downloaded, then that ePub choice button goes away.

So the moral of this story is, don't set Kindle format as your default, even if that's the format you prefer. Otherwise you can't quickly tell what has been downloaded and what has not been. Of course you could figure it out - by looking at your email that tells you specifically what was auto-checked-out. So it's not the end of the world. But it's an inconvenience IMHO.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:58 PM   #432
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This morning I was not able to return library books. The Amazon "Manage my Content" webpage appeared to operate normally, even giving its normal "success" popup. But it didn't work. I called Amazon and they said it was a known issue that they were working on. After letting things sit for a few hours, the books that I had checked back in did eventually make it through the process.

Probably an unanticipated glitch in their Overdrive "upgrade" (downgrade??!) process.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:04 PM   #433
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Probably an unanticipated glitch in their Overdrive "upgrade" (downgrade??!) process.
Or it could be an issue with all the new Oasis in use and then there is the new firmware for the PW2 on up. So it could maybe be an overload of the servers.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:24 PM   #434
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
This morning I was not able to return library books. The Amazon "Manage my Content" webpage appeared to operate normally, even giving its normal "success" popup. But it didn't work. I called Amazon and they said it was a known issue that they were working on. After letting things sit for a few hours, the books that I had checked back in did eventually make it through the process.

I suspect it's due to the new Audible loan program for romance they launch today. It's probably on the same server. KU wasn't working either.

As for how to tell what's been downloaded at the bottom it will say return or how to return. How to return means you downloaded it. Return means it can be returned through Overdrive's page because it hasn't been downloaded yet.

Sent from my XT1528

Last edited by Blossom; 11-01-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:07 AM   #435
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
How to return means you downloaded it. Return means it can be returned through Overdrive's page because it hasn't been downloaded yet.
Ah! Good to know. I didn't pick up on that detail myself. I'll watch for it the next time one of my auto-borrows comes available. Thanks!