Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-10-2015, 05:28 AM   #406
CharredScribe
Addict
CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Aura ONE
Despite a dip in my reading mid-year, I'm well on track. My goal was 60 books, at least five non-fiction (I used to read more non-fiction but something happened last year - not sure what - and I only read a couple so decided to step it back up this year).

I am currently on my 55th book, which will make my 5th non-fiction book. It's almost complete - really enjoying it. The book is Goodbye Sarajevo, by Akta Reid and Hana Schofield, two Bosnian sisters separated during the Siege of Sarajevo.

Also, since moving back home to South Africa, I was reunited with my hundreds of paper books that I had stored here, and I also started going to be library again, so I have read more paper books this year than last. In fact, I've read only a small handful of e-books this year. Not that I care really, but just interesting to note, since last year, I read almost exclusively on my e-reader. I also bought a ton of paper books, mostly non-fiction, since I really can't seem to get into non-fiction on an e-reader.

I'll post when I reach my goal of 60.
CharredScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:02 PM   #407
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
After finishing The Houseboy by Ferdinand Oyono this weekend I have officially completed all of my sub-challenges. Some stats of where I am with a few months of free reading time left this year:

books: 57
pages: 15,854
authors: 41
new authors: 29
countries: 17
new countries: 6
paper books: 45
electronic books: 12
money spent: 0.00

I suppose the only challenge left to complete is the $50 book budget for this year, but seeing as though I have made the entire year so far at $0 that should be a breeze. I'm actually looking to finish up the year at $0 now.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2015, 01:52 PM   #408
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, a bit of a confession here. I have NOT been good at updating my reading list this last month or so. I got seriously behind, and it's hard to catch up. However, I think I'm back in sync now, and I _hope_ I didn't miss any.

Meanwhile, on the quantity goal, I'm doing well -- if I keep this up, I'll beat my stretch goal. But keeping an accurate accounting?? Not so well.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:03 PM   #409
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Half the fun of finishing a book is that I get to update all my spreadsheets and my list post.

OK, maybe not half, but definitely some.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:20 PM   #410
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I'm 3-4 books behind on my goal, but will be catching up as I complete some rather longer books. I didn't know several book choices were long and others required no interruptions (my life is start/stop these days). That should teach me to look at Audible and see how many hours long the book is. Had some concentration issues as well this summer, but that is improving.

Last edited by Tarana; 09-21-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #411
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Half the fun of finishing a book is that I get to update all my spreadsheets and my list post.

OK, maybe not half, but definitely some.
My laptop goes with me everywhere and I use simple text files to keep up with what I've read -- I've been doing this since 2008, and I have *some* records going back to 2005. I like keeping records and then sharing them in online communities of book lovers.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:31 AM   #412
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Argh. I realised this morning that I'd forgotten to read my daily short story yesterday. I was very busy last night, and got distracted during my usual post-work routine, and then just forgot I hadn't already read it. That's only the second day I've missed all year. It's easy enough to read two stories today, but I can't go back in time.

It would have been nice to do an unbroken year, but I might have to take a break in November anyway, if I do Nanowrimo.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:32 AM   #413
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Everyone needs a break. 260+ days in a row for reading a short is remarkable. Hats off for that dedication.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:49 PM   #414
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^Everyone needs a break. 260+ days in a row for reading a short is remarkable. Hats off for that dedication.
I don't. I have been reading since I was eight and I have never missed a day without sticking my nose in something. These days its more like pointing my nose at a screen.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:37 PM   #415
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Ah yes -- I read something every day. But since I'm not a fan of short stories, I don't think I'd set a goal of reading one per day.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:37 AM   #416
DrNefario
Wizard

I'm not normally a big reader of short stories either. That's exactly why I did set a target of one a day. Otherwise I never read them. I've just finished Gene Wolfe's Book of Days, an ex-library paperback I've owned for at least 15 years and hadn't opened until this month.

It's great if you can make the time. You constantly get extra "free" books read in addition to your regular novel-reading. The main problem I have is finding stories of the right length. Modern shorts can be pretty long. Ideally I want something that will take less than half an hour to read. I'm not sure any of the stories in Dangerous Women by George RR Martin and Gardner Dozois has been that short, so I haven't got far on that one.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:32 PM   #417
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I had a slow month in September, after a very active August. I read 8 books in September, didn't do anything with my existing TBR, and added 35 more books to the stack, plus more want-to-reads. Still, I did read several excellent books, so I felt it was a rewarding month.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:24 AM   #418
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It's October! I'm back under budget!

And I've finished all my unread books bought back in 2006/2007!

But my TBR is nearly 30 books up on the start of the year.

Two out of three isn't too bad. I'm clearly not going to get my TBR down to 700 by the end of the year. Currently my hope is just to break even, and get back down to 750.

[EDIT: Counting the subscriptions that came in at end September/1st October, my TBR is up 30 on the year. I expect to read about 50 books in the next three months, and my subscriptions will add another 10 books to my total (Lightspeed Magazine, F&SF, Asimov's, Analog, Grantville Gazette). So if I can keep my additional purchases to under 10 books, I'll manage to break even for the year!

Now there's a good challenge!

My challenge for the next three months: Buy no more than 10 'discretionary' books !]

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-02-2015 at 07:06 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #419
DrNefario
Wizard

Going quite well here. I typically pick up a handful of books at the start of each month - new Kindle Owners' Lending Library book, new monthly deals, trip to a local second-hand bookstore, etc - and then spend the whole month clawing my way back to parity on my TBR. I just made it back to +1 (91 read, 90 acquired) by the end of September.

I've resisted some very tempting "bargains" lately, though, so I think I might be cured.

My sub-challenges are going OK, but I think I'm going to cut back on them next year.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:39 AM   #420
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm running slightly behind on my sub-challenges, but it's nothing that can't be redressed by year's end. My sub-challenges are actually the meat of my yearly challenge, as I like my reading to have a little focus; ideally I gain some basic body of knowledge on a given topic. I'm less concerned with the overall total.

And all I'll say it's a good thing that adding to my TBR wasn't part of my official challenge (although I am much, much better); however, reducing it was. Next year I'm going to have to add in a net reduction rider and not just a gross one.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote