28th March to 31st March 3 4.35%
1st April to 30th April 22 31.88%
1st May to 31st December 2009 21 30.43%
Never! 14 20.29%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #391
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I don't care about the the poketbook, no more than the kindle, For the same reason.... Hardly available in my country. And that means disaster if something happens the to reader.

Quote:
3D-Accelerometer/integrated 3D accelerometer for automatic orientation detection (automatische Wechsel der Seitenorientierung)
NOT the same device...

Last edited by EowynCarter; 06-22-2009 at 02:56 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #392
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
@ Ortep
I've heard that the pocketbook 301 has an english menu too, so there's nothing to worry about, I suppose that with this device you can switch the localization to english too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eowyn
Hardly available in my country.
You could be wrong there. I'm sure they would be more than willing to send you a brand new, crispy and fresh smelling pocketbook right to your door by mail. You know, Ukraine is not at the end of the world. The same goes for the repairs and warranty, you just send it to their support center; not much difference for me, if I needed to send my cybook for repair to France.

@Eowyn
You're missing the point. Btw. there's a similar device -- 301+, with pretty much the same FW.

Last edited by Abelturd; 06-22-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #393
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The same goes for the repairs and warranty, you just send it to their support center; not much difference for me, if I needed to send my cybook for repair to France.
For you, yes, it's about that same. To me, france to france post is less expensive and way faster. And i can speak (or yell) in french with the people at bookeen's, so, that's a big plus. You have no idea who happy i was when the one month i though i would have to do without the reader turned in one week.
Loosing that is not wroth the few functions i wouldn't really use.

Next reader i buy will probably be the opus, next march. Unless something happens to my gen 3, well, i see no point in changing reader right now.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 06-22-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #394
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

I'll again resort to a popular saying: Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
Everyone's welcome to read into it as much (or as little) as he/she wants.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #395
EowynCarter
Wizard

Hey, who is the fool believing so called promises from a company ?
I would never take word from any company for granted.
Advert
Old 06-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #396
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
For you, yes, it's about that same. To me, france to france post is less expensive and way faster. And i can speak (or yell) in french with the people at bookeen's, so, that's a big plus. You have no idea who happy i was when the one month i though i would have to do without the reader turned in one week.
Loosing that is not worth the few functions i wouldn't really use.
The part about yelling was funny.
Eowyn, I totally understand your reasons for staying faithful to Bookeen. And you're right, for you as a French it's (probably) the best option.
Please don't take our whining or complaining personally. I can't speak for everybody, but I really don't think that any of us mean it in a bad way. We're just venting our frustrations.
You have my utter respect for your unabating loyalty to Bookeen.

Last edited by Abelturd; 06-22-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #397
EowynCarter
Wizard

I guess the reason i don't feels frustrated is that i never had expectation. And I've learned to be patient about that kind of thing. (Europe's always last server except for European things) So firmware a few month delayed ? Who cares? i lived with it, i can live on without it.
It's not a question of bookeen, i'll react the same toward sony, illiad or even amazon. Things sometimes just goes wrong.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 06-22-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:59 PM   #398
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

Quote:
I guess the point i don't feels frustrated is that i never had expectation. And I've learned to be patient about that kind of thing. (Europe's always last server except for European things) So firmware a few month delayed ? Who cares? i lived with it, i can live on without it.
Good for you.

Expectations, those little ba$tard$, they keep nagging at me like harpies. Gotta take them somewhere behind the city and drop them out, hoping they won't remember the directions back to me.

Last edited by Abelturd; 06-22-2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-22-2009, 04:06 PM   #399
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Pocketbook 360 = Bookeen Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
This device has on BIG disadvantage
Yeah... no Mobipocket support!

But otherwise this is a VERY nice little device.

(Though a bit pricey - which must be the motion sensor... Who really needs that BTW, OK it's "nice" but WTF...?! Without that, I assume, it'd be under $ 200,--.)

EDIT: WAAAAKK!!! I've not seen it... Must've been that freudian thing... Cause it sure has PRC aka non-DRM Mobi support, which is perfectly OK with me (hence my sub-line)!

Last edited by gerraldo; 06-23-2009 at 06:47 PM.
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #400
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
Yeah... no Mobipocket support!
PDF, RTF, FB2, TXT, HTML, DJVU, CHM, PRC, EPUB, DOC, TCR.
That's a lot more than what cybook can do, if you ask me.
I'll prefer non-DRMed PRC *AND* ePUB to drmed prc anytime.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:27 PM   #401
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I guess the reason i don't feels frustrated is that i never had expectation. And I've learned to be patient about that kind of thing. (Europe's always last server except for European things) So firmware a few month delayed ? Who cares? i lived with it, i can live on without it.
It's not a question of bookeen, i'll react the same toward sony, illiad or even amazon. Things sometimes just goes wrong.
Promised functionality is over one year late. That is the problem. Instead of releasing a firmware with promised additional functionality they introduce ePub and new hardware.

Things have never gone right so people should know that and not buy from Bookeen.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:11 AM   #402
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Promised functionality is over one year late.
I'm still waiting of a proof of that. First time i heard bookeen mentioning folders, it was march this year. I didn't had a Cybook at that time, so, i didn't followed what bookeen did.

As Epub is about to become the standard, i'll be glad to be able to use it without getting a new device. That's the point i'm really waiting firmware for. That and ADE, maybe the cybook will read certain pdf after that.
Though i'm afraid that it would need more processor and ram power.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:19 AM   #403
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Pro 612, Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Quote:
I'm still waiting of a proof of that. First time i heard bookeen mentioning folders, it was march this year. I didn't had a Cybook at that time, so, i didn't followed what bookeen did.

As Epub is about to become the standard, i'll be glad to be able to use it without getting a new device. That's the point i'm really waiting firmware for. That and ADE, maybe the cybook will read certain pdf after that.
Though i'm afraid that it would need more processor and ram power.
What kind of proof are you waiting for? Numerous people here have posted links and excerpts from e-mails they received, blogs entries they read and conversations they had with Bookeen staff. Even disregarding everything before the official release date "1st quarter 2009" there is not much room to argue that they are not behind a self-set deadline.

Honestly, I hate being rude, but I am starting to get the feeling that you're either a troll or Bookeen staff. We have had this kind of conversation quite a few times here: It's not about being impatient. I am patient and can wait till Judgement Day for the firmware to be released. What ticks me off is not keeping promises and leaving customers in the dark. With proper communication between Bookeen and their loyal customers this thread would sound much different.

And about "Hey, who is the fool believing so called promises from a company ?
I would never take word from any company for granted. " -> You must be kidding... If you never believe anything that a company says, never can rely on anything that they tell you, it would IMHO be impossible to go on buying stuff. If the stuff you bought doesn't do what you were promised it would do, you just sit down and say "Ah, well, I never believed what they said anyway" and throw it in the bin? Hardly. So there HAS to be some form of trust towards what a company says. There is a huge difference between taking some announcements with a grain of salt and not taking anything from any company for granted.
Snuffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:59 AM   #404
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I have an email from Bookeen support dated 27 October 2008, saying that
  • Battery life on book pages
  • Easily read while charging
  • Goto Page... for library view
  • Sort by Author option
  • Folder display in library
  • PDF reflow

"should shortly be available".

Not a year, but very nearly eight months. I suspect others may have records of earlier messages.

Bookeen are a small company. They have been diverting resources to their new customer's ePUB firmware, which is why the Mobipocket firmware is delayed.

I have stopped worrying about when the firmware will be released. I begin to fear the the people who voted "never" in this poll will turn out to have been right, but hopefully we will see the new firmware sometime this year.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:19 AM   #405
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I have an email from Bookeen support dated 27 October 2008, saying that
  • Battery life on book pages
  • Easily read while charging
  • Goto Page... for library view
  • Sort by Author option
  • Folder display in library
  • PDF reflow

"should shortly be available".
Main word here being "should".