Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-23-2024, 06:20 AM   #391
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Here is yet another video comparing color to non-color.

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 07:40 AM   #392
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I can't get the panels to zoom big enough to read the text. Touching the screen to try to pinch-zoom just brings up the lower and upper menu bars. Can't scroll the page, either, for the same reason.

If you're monkeying with the settings to get the ability to control the screen, I would love to know.
I don't like using pinch to zoom because it's not smooth, it works but it's a bit laggy. If I find some text to be too small I prefer to double tap on a panel to zoom in on it. You can also use the navigation icon*, or change the orientation to landscape. But it seems pinch to zoom doesn't work for you at all? Not sure why that is. I always use KCC to stretch and crop my comics and convert them to ePUB and then sideload them to my ereader. I haven't checked if KCC added a profile for the Libra Colour but if they haven't yet then just choose 1264x1680 for the width and height.

*If you don't know what the Navigation icon is see here: https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...r-Kobo-eReader
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2024, 07:47 AM   #393
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Seems like a fair analysis of the advantages (and disadvantages) of both color and mono screens.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 08:19 AM   #394
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Here is a comparison of the screens Libra 2 vs the Libra Colour with no lights on. They are by a window. This is from a video by The eBook Reader. This shows the LC screen is a bit darker then the L2 screen.

Attachment 209101

The Libra screen is to grey. Glad I didn't get a Libra 2.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 08:21 AM   #395
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
I think it is likely that Kobo will release a BW version of the Libra with Carta 1300 at some point in the relatively near future. I had a chance to look at the Clara BW; the screen is quite nice, not quite on par with my Voyage but very sharp (I never saw the Libra 2 so I can't compare). The lighting was not very even however, with a somewhat much darker spot at the top; that seems to be an issue with the new Kobos.
The frontlight has been a hit or miss with all my frontlit devices, no matter the brand. My Voyage was very uneven, my Oasis 1 and Oasis 2 less so, but still noticeably; my Oasis 3 was even. My Libra 1 (aka Libra H2O) was also somewhat uneven, but not terribly so; my Sage is again very uneven, my Libra 2 is perfectly even. My Nook was also more or less even.

I'm sure other people have had similar experiences with their devices (i.e. some are better than others, not necessarily the same models as in my case). The uniformity of frontlight seems to be an issue with eink screens to this day.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2024, 10:05 AM   #396
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Seems like a fair analysis of the advantages (and disadvantages) of both color and mono screens.
I found that video to be a rather well balanced comparison of color and mono. Maybe the best I've seen so far.
Old 06-23-2024, 10:06 AM   #397
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
The Libra screen is to grey. Glad I didn't get a Libra 2.
That's the LC that's too dark.
Old 06-23-2024, 11:39 AM   #398
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

The close up shots to show the visible speckling was absolutely perfect.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 11:41 AM   #399
mgrimace
Connoisseur
mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Libra H2O, Kindle Oasis 9
I just picked up a Libra Colour and I have a Libra 2, happy to answer any questions if folks have them.
mgrimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 12:18 PM   #400
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrimace View Post
I just picked up a Libra Colour and I have a Libra 2, happy to answer any questions if folks have them.
What light level do you need to have on the Libra Colour to match the screen of the Libra 2 (with no light on)?
Old 06-23-2024, 12:19 PM   #401
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
The close up shots to show the visible speckling was absolutely perfect.
And he says that the Libra 2 is better for reading text which is what I do.
Old 06-23-2024, 12:43 PM   #402
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And he says that the Libra 2 is better for reading text which is what I do.
A valid subjective opinion, even though, as far as I know, you have absolutely no standing to make it, (since you never used one of the devices in question.)

But for all other comments made by you and others, (It's too dark, contrast is bad, it's impossible to be the same 300dpi because laws of physics, etc.) I will simply leave this screenshot that says more than words ever will, and the reader can be the judge. The person who took these shots took the time and effort to match fronts, page contents and adjusted front light levels so they look as close as possible.

(PS, why are jpg attachments allowed to be larger than png? should be the opposite, no?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kaleido vs carta1200.png
Views:	77
Size:	867.0 KB
ID:	209105  

Last edited by rashkae; 06-23-2024 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-23-2024, 01:12 PM   #403
mgrimace
Connoisseur
mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgrimace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Libra H2O, Kindle Oasis 9
Quote:
What light level do you need to have on the Libra Colour to match the screen of the Libra 2 (with no light on)?
With 0% on the Libra 2, and ambient somewhat-dim indoor natural light, I’d say around +30% brightness on the Colour. I don’t ever read at zero light, but this aligns with what I’m seeing in my actual use. For example, I’m comfortable in this light level around 30% on the Libra 2, and it’s around 60% on the Libra Colour (so still roughly around +30%).

Indoors, I just set the light to what’s comfortable for me to read. The fact that it happens to be higher on the Colour doesn’t materially change the reading experience for me since they both get to a brightness that’s comfortable to my eye. It’s certainly takes more light, but it gets there just fine, if that makes sense.

Outdoors, direct sunlight, at 0% the difference is very apparent. The Libra 2 is markedly brighter and whiter, subjectively I would guess again around 30% brighter. The Colour is certainly readable in direct light but side-by-side it is clearly comparatively dimmer/greyer. I pulled out my son’s Libra H20, and in direct sunlight the Colour screen is closer to the H20.
mgrimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 01:18 PM   #404
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
With 0% on the Libra 2, and ambient somewhat-dim indoor natural light, I’d say around +30% brightness on the Colour. I don’t ever read at zero light, but this aligns with what I’m seeing in my actual use. For example, I’m comfortable in this light level around 30% on the Libra 2, and it’s around 60% on the Libra Colour (so still roughly around +30%).

Indoors, I just set the light to what’s comfortable for me to read. The fact that it happens to be higher on the Colour doesn’t materially change the reading experience for me since they both get to a brightness that’s comfortable to my eye. It’s certainly takes more light, but it gets there just fine, if that makes sense.

Outdoors, direct sunlight, at 0% the difference is very apparent. The Libra 2 is markedly brighter and whiter, subjectively I would guess again around 30% brighter. The Colour is certainly readable in direct light but side-by-side it is clearly comparatively dimmer/greyer. I pulled out my son’s Libra H20, and in direct sunlight the Colour screen is closer to the H20.
Thank you for that. It fits in what others have said.

I prefer the light off if there is enough ambient light. So the LC would not do based on having to turn on the light just to get it as light as the L2.

It's just a bad idea to discontinue the L2 without having announced a replacement as the LC is not that replacement.
Old 06-23-2024, 01:20 PM   #405
rashkae
Wizard

Quote:
I will add to this, if you are in light so bright that the device front light can no longer compensate, you should probably be looking at wearing uv blocking sunglasses rather than trying to read for more than few minutes.