Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 09-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #376
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
Hello Jim,

I'm trying to read 'Grantville Gazette 31' on my HD2. There pops up a message saying "Trying to recover memory..." which went away after a short while in the first story. It does not so in the second (Lion's Tower), obscuring the upper part of the screen which somewhat detracts from the reading experience.
Is there an option to turn it off?
I'm using Freda 2.0 build 104.

Thanks
Eagle
I've noticed that that message often does not go away until I click for the next page. I'd been meaning to mention that.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #377
Bald Eagle
Connoisseur
Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra Colour
At first it did go away when going to the next page so I could go back and read normally. But now it pops up on the next page again, vanishing only for a split second when clicked, making reading the top of the page somewhat difficult. I would settle for the small red square in the lower right corner after the message has been clicked away.
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 08:36 AM   #378
Jim Chapman
Addict
Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lumia 950 Phone
Quote:
At first it did go away when going to the next page so I could go back and read normally. But now it pops up on the next page again, vanishing only for a split second when clicked, making reading the top of the page somewhat difficult. I would settle for the small red square in the lower right corner after the message has been clicked away.
That should be what you get. It sounds like a bug (and I will look into it). Could you try doing a soft-reset on the phone; that might make the problem go away.

Thanks,

Jim
Jim Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #379
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hi Jim,

Still loving and using Freda a LOT, it's helped breath life into my old X51v. There's one small problem I found, though. When I load the free Black Library ebook on offer (http://www.blacklibrary.com/Digital), all the quote characters come out as underscore. I've played with the encoding settings, trying them all (and made sure they overrode the document) but it made no difference.

Is there any chance you could take a look at this?
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:21 AM   #380
Bald Eagle
Connoisseur
Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Chapman View Post
Could you try doing a soft-reset on the phone; that might make the problem go away.
Unfortunately the problem persists. The message refuses to go away.
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 09:10 AM   #381
Jim Chapman
Addict
Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett View Post
Hi Jim,

Still loving and using Freda a LOT, it's helped breath life into my old X51v. There's one small problem I found, though. When I load the free Black Library ebook on offer (http://www.blacklibrary.com/Digital), all the quote characters come out as underscore. I've played with the encoding settings, trying them all (and made sure they overrode the document) but it made no difference.

Is there any chance you could take a look at this?
Yes I will look at it. Actually I think I know what the problem is, and it will be fixed in the next release (which will be a few weeks away, once all the sound and fury around the Windows Phone launch has quieted down a bit).
Old 10-17-2010, 03:06 AM   #382
Jim Chapman
Addict

Quote:
Unfortunately the problem persists. The message refuses to go away.
That's odd. Anyhow, I will examine that code ahead of the next release, and make it generally more careful about how it decides to display that box. This should resolve the issue. So watch this space ...

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Jim
Old 10-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #383
Jim Chapman
Addict

Hi all,

I have now released the Windows Phone 7 version of Freda. I've posted links and images to a new thread. So I suggest we use that new thread for discussing the Windows Phone 7 program, and keep this thread for queries and updates regarding the existing Windows Mobile 6.x/5/2003/WinCE program.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:25 AM   #384
silkshadow
silkshadow began at the beginning.

Device: HD2
Hi, I just wanted to say that I am having the same problem as Bald Eagle. It now keeps popping up and there is a red square on the bottom right of freda where the black square used to be when it was loading a new book.

Unlike Bald Eagle, its a bit more than a nuisance as Freda keeps crashing now. I tried "forget book", clearing and reloading my library, deleting Freda cache as well as just stopping reading the book that this error first appeared (a Calibre news book for the economist) and trying to read others.

I will try an uninstall and reinstall tonight and see if that fixes it and report back.
silkshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:48 AM   #385
Jim Chapman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkshadow View Post
Hi, I just wanted to say that I am having the same problem as Bald Eagle. It now keeps popping up and there is a red square on the bottom right of freda where the black square used to be when it was loading a new book.

Unlike Bald Eagle, its a bit more than a nuisance as Freda keeps crashing now. I tried "forget book", clearing and reloading my library, deleting Freda cache as well as just stopping reading the book that this error first appeared (a Calibre news book for the economist) and trying to read others.

I will try an uninstall and reinstall tonight and see if that fixes it and report back.
The other thing to try is a soft reset of the phone. That will certainly resolve some potential issues. Another thing to check for is the amount of available space in the phone's memory (both internal memory and storage card). Anyhow, if the problem persists, please send me Freda's log file (/program files/freda/logfile.txt) and I will see if it suggests anything to me.

My email is, as ever, home@jim-chapman.net or jim@turnipsoft.co.uk .
Old 02-01-2011, 02:39 AM   #386
silkshadow
silkshadow began at the beginning.

Device: HD2
Quote:
The other thing to try is a soft reset of the phone. That will certainly resolve some potential issues. Another thing to check for is the amount of available space in the phone's memory (both internal memory and storage card). Anyhow, if the problem persists, please send me Freda's log file (/program files/freda/logfile.txt) and I will see if it suggests anything to me.

My email is, as ever, home@jim-chapman.net or jim@turnipsoft.co.uk .
Oops, forgot to come back here . Sorry Jim! I actually gave up, as my phone was starting to develop other problems (crashes, etc) shortly afterward and flashed a new rom. Sinc ethen no new problems.

I was actually coming here to see if you might consider an Android version? I got a Captivate (dumb re-branded locked down version of a Galaxy S) from an American who was never going back there and couldn't unlock it for an absolute steal.

I'm new to the platform and using Moon+ currently but, I've gotten so comfortable with your program, that I miss it.
silkshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:00 AM   #387
Jane A
Addict
Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'd like to use FREDA on my ipaq. After several hours and several false starts I've just gotten to the point where I get an error message when the program starts to load. It reads:
Freda.exe
ObjectDisposedObjection
The program is in \program files\freda on the device, not on the storage card, which I gather was a problem earlier on.
Is there hope for me getting FREDA on my ipaq?
Thanks for any help!
Jane A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #388
Jim Chapman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane A View Post
Is there hope for me getting FREDA on my ipaq?
Thanks for any help!
I don't know what hope there is for getting Freda working on your ipaq. What operating system is it running?
Old 03-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #389
Jane A
Addict
Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I don't know what hope there is for getting Freda working on your ipaq. What operating system is it running?
Windows Mobile 6. And I downloaded .NET CF 3.5
Thank you for any help!
Jane A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #390
Jim Chapman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane A View Post
Windows Mobile 6. And I downloaded .NET CF 3.5
Thank you for any help!
That should work. Can you send me your log file (it should be in the Freda program folder, called "logfile.txt" - so a path something like \program files\freda\logfile.txt). You can email it to jim@turnipsoft.co.uk