Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #361
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Didn't iOS 4 give the iPod touch an orientation lock as well? (in the same place it can be found on the iPad after 4.2?)
At least on the iPod, the lock only locks it into portrait orientation even if you're holding it landscape; it doesn't lock it into the current orientation.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:15 AM   #362
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Didn't iOS 4 give the iPod touch an orientation lock as well? (in the same place it can be found on the iPad after 4.2?)
Ow. I realize now why so many new apps don't offer orientation lock -- iOS4 has it built-in! But as far as I can tell, it only works on 3rd or 4th Gen iPods, and mine is 2nd Gen. If I'm mistaken and it *is* possible to access the orientation lock feature on a 2nd Gen iPod -- especially if it will lock in landscape -- please someone tell me how! Thanks!

Last edited by Jane12; 12-19-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 01:03 AM   #363
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane12 View Post
Ow. I realize now why so many new apps don't offer orientation lock -- iOS4 has it built-in! But as far as I can tell, it only works on 3rd or 4th Gen iPods, and mine is 2nd Gen. If I'm mistaken and it *is* possible to access the orientation lock feature on a 2nd Gen iPod -- especially if it will lock in landscape -- please someone tell me how! Thanks!
Sorry, if your device can't run iOS 4, you can't get orientation lock (there might be a jailbreak app for that, though). And as was already mentioned, the iOS 4 orientation lock is portrait-only, which makes it next to useless for anybody who uses landscape mode for anything.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:13 AM   #364
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
At least on the iPod, the lock only locks it into portrait orientation even if you're holding it landscape; it doesn't lock it into the current orientation.
Well that's stupid. I thought Apple liked giving a "consistent user experience"... so why didn't they make it like the iPad, which does lock into the current orientation?
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #365
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
Sorry, if your device can't run iOS 4, you can't get orientation lock (there might be a jailbreak app for that, though). And as was already mentioned, the iOS 4 orientation lock is portrait-only, which makes it next to useless for anybody who uses landscape mode for anything.
Actually, my 2nd Gen iPod can and is running iOS 4.

But some iOS 4 features require at least a 3rd Gen iPod to run. I knew I was missing out on multi-tasking, but I see now that I'm also missing the orientation lock :-( Though if it only locks in portrait-mode, it's not particularly useful to me.

Can iPhones lock in landscape mode or are iPads the only iDevice with this feature?

If both iPods and iPhones cannot lock in landscape mode -- even with the latest OS -- maybe BFR would reconsider adding this to the iPod/iPhone version? While landscape lock may seem like a small detail, it actually makes a huge difference in usability.

Last edited by Jane12; 12-19-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 04:12 PM   #366
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My bad, I forget that iOS 4 is half-installable on older devices. Jailbreak and enable the missing features.

And iPhones only have portrait lock. I assume iPad has landscape lock because prior to 4.0 it had a physical orientation lock switch and customers would be even more upset with Apple if they not only took away the hardware switch but also the ability to lock in landscape. (also, if you have an ipad, jailbreak and get your hardware orientation lock switch back.)
Old 12-20-2010, 01:41 AM   #367
xristy
Connoisseur
xristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Why is Bluefire Reader app rated 12+? I don't see it's content being any more or less objectionable than iBooks which is rated 4+.

Just wondering.
xristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:43 AM   #368
xristy
Connoisseur

deleted

Last edited by xristy; 12-20-2010 at 01:46 AM. Reason: remove duplicate
Old 12-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #369
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by xristy View Post
Why is Bluefire Reader app rated 12+? I don't see it's content being any more or less objectionable than iBooks which is rated 4+.

Just wondering.
It is self rating, and there is some PG+ content in mainstream books, scary/violent/monster stuff, steamy romance stuff, etc. so 4+ did not seem honest.
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #370
Nitehood
Nitehood began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell30Bell View Post
There is a lot to like about the Bluefire app: being able to easily load eBooks through iTunes; Recent/Title/Author sort ability; font size; background colour etc but for now I will be sticking to Txtr. Despite the tiresome process for loading eBooks and the removal of the sort function with the last upgrade, the one function I do like with the Txtr app is the ability to edit the title and author details of the eBooks once on the device. This is something that Bluefire does not (yet?) have. I like to be able to have all of my eBooks in reading order, for example with Lee Child's Jack Reacher series I will edit the title of the books to include JR and then a numerical number to indicate which book in the series it is, and will insert this before the title of the book. That way, when the books are sorted by author, the list will be in reading order. It also enables me to load anthologies several times if I want each story within the anthology to be listed under each authors names.
I agree. The best book/pdf reader for me is one that lets me put the books in reading order and create collections. I like to have my magazines in a different shelf than my mystery books or SciFi, etc. I would like to have seperate bookshelves for each, and perhaps separate series with in.

~nitehood
Nitehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #371
WarumIch
WarumIch began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
As to the jailbroken phone issue of freezing on exit, we are still struggling with reproducing it. If anyone on this list has experienced it, can you please post a note here with model, OS, what kit you used for jailbreaking, and any details that might help us reproduce it? Alternatively you can send the details in email to info@bluefire.tv
iPad 16GB, only WLAN, iOS 4.2.1, RedsnOw. The iPad freezes every time i close Bluefire, and I had to reboot the iPad.

Installed with Cydia is: Activator, Airplane SBSettings Toogle, AppSync for OS 4.2, Browser Changer, Cydia Installer, Hackulous Security, iFile, Installous 4 (Beta), Metadata Removr, SB Settings, sbsettingstoogles, Source GUI, UDIDFaker.

On my iPhone 3G, iOS 4.2.1, Rednow, Bluefire works fine. Installed with Cydia is: AppSync for OS 4.2, Cydia Installer, Hackulous Security, Installous, Source GUI.

Maybe SBSettings is the problem?

Edit: i installed SB settings on my iPhone to test it with Bluefire, but no freeze.

Edit 2: i deinstalled SBSettings, iFile, UDIDFaker and Activator on the iPad, to have the same configuration as on the iPhone, but Bluefire still freezes.

Last edited by WarumIch; 12-21-2010 at 04:47 PM.
WarumIch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #372
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It is self rating, and there is some PG+ content in mainstream books, scary/violent/monster stuff, steamy romance stuff, etc. so 4+ did not seem honest.
But the app isn't what need to be rated age appropriate. It's the books that get age rated. Rating a reading app for age appropriateness is silly and well, not age appropriate.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #373
xristy
Connoisseur

Quote:
I agree with JSWolf. I would think that unless there is some 12+ content in the help or other text of Bluefire itself then 4+ is appropriate since the app may be used by 4+ with age appropriate ePub or PDF content. Otherwise I would think that the rating would have to be 17+ given that there is content of that level that could be loaded into Bluefire.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:13 PM   #374
toddos
Guru

Why not take a page from video games? They're rated on the content that ships with the app, with a disclaimer that any online interaction is not rated at all. Bluefire comes with no books (right?), so it's certainly 4+. Of course you can add any books you want to it, and those books might not be 4+, but that's not the point. The point is that the app by itself has nothing offensive in it.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #375
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xristy View Post
I agree with JSWolf. I would think that unless there is some 12+ content in the help or other text of Bluefire itself then 4+ is appropriate since the app may be used by 4+ with age appropriate ePub or PDF content. Otherwise I would think that the rating would have to be 17+ given that there is content of that level that could be loaded into Bluefire.
If Bluefire has an age rating due to some of the content that might be used with it, then it might as well be 21+. Or for that matter, given some of the content out there, why bother?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote