Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-16-2024, 09:39 PM   #37321
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
One of my rare trips out to the grocery store resulted in a strange encounter: I was reading a price label. Another customer came up, saw my very blue quad-cane, and began to slowly and loudly read the contents of the price tag to me.

I just walked away before I doubled over laughing.

My best guess is that this person somehow thought that a non-elderly person (I'm younger than most on MR) using any type of cane was legally blind. But who knows? Ableds are weird.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 06-16-2024 at 09:46 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 12:18 PM   #37322
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
One of my rare trips out to the grocery store resulted in a strange encounter: I was reading a price label. Another customer came up, saw my very blue quad-cane, and began to slowly and loudly read the contents of the price tag to me.

My best guess is that this person somehow thought that a non-elderly person (I'm younger than most on MR) using any type of cane was legally blind. But who knows? Ableds are weird.
Well....(trying to think of that silver-lining thing here). At least it's a willing-to-help abled????? Better than that, some d*ck that slams into the handicapped space at the Grocery in front of ya! It drives me nuts when I see that. It's the only time in my otherwise relatively sane brain that I have a momentary impulse of destruction toward someone's car, and NO, I've never done it. Impulses are not acts. It's like seeing that jerk that takes up two damn spaces at Xmastime, on 12/23 (December 23rd) at the mall, ya know? Around here, you can literally be 1/2- to 1-mile away, walking-wise, from the store entrance, at that time of year. I get very very cranky about two-space parkers and don't tell me that they don't "know." They know.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2024, 01:25 PM   #37323
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

Isn't it just the age-old story of the caned vs. the abled?
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 04:35 PM   #37324
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well....(trying to think of that silver-lining thing here). At least it's a willing-to-help abled????? Better than that, some d*ck that slams into the handicapped space at the Grocery in front of ya! It drives me nuts when I see that. It's the only time in my otherwise relatively sane brain that I have a momentary impulse of destruction toward someone's car, and NO, I've never done it. Impulses are not acts. It's like seeing that jerk that takes up two damn spaces at Xmastime, on 12/23 (December 23rd) at the mall, ya know? Around here, you can literally be 1/2- to 1-mile away, walking-wise, from the store entrance, at that time of year. I get very very cranky about two-space parkers and don't tell me that they don't "know." They know.

Hitch

I'm reminded of that Lucy Liu line from "Ally McBeal" to the person in the wheelchair: "What the hell do you people want? You already get all the best parking spaces."

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 04:35 PM   #37325
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2024, 04:39 PM   #37326
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I'm reminded of that Lucy Liu line from "Ally McBeal" to the person in the wheelchair: "What the hell do you people want? You already get all the best parking spaces."

ApK
Click image for larger version

Name:	notwerewolves.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	208955
Old 06-18-2024, 01:46 PM   #37327
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Oh, oh oh oh. That one was painful, cc, downright painful, but thanks for it.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 02:14 PM   #37328
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Hitch
I cannot stand it when someone parks in a handicapped space and has no blue badge showing. That's just so very wrong.

Another thing I think is wrong is parent and child spaces being near the from of the store. They aren't disabled so they don't need to be near the entrance. I have parked in a mother and child space before on purpose when I've had my mother with me in the car. We fit the bill. It doesn't say the child has to be a baby.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 02:15 PM   #37329
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post

ApK
I've seen someone on TV with a disability wearing a t-shirt that read "I'm only in it for the parking space.".
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 02:28 PM   #37330
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, oh oh oh. That one was painful, cc, downright painful, but thanks for it.

Hitch
Just trying to burnish my reputation as the sultan of subtlety...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 05:04 PM   #37331
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I cannot stand it when someone parks in a handicapped space and has no blue badge showing. That's just so very wrong.

Another thing I think is wrong is parent and child spaces being near the from of the store. They aren't disabled so they don't need to be near the entrance. I have parked in a mother and child space before on purpose when I've had my mother with me in the car. We fit the bill. It doesn't say the child has to be a baby.
Quite a few of the parent/child parking spots here show a stroller image so a baby/toddler is what they are intended for. I saw one mother with 3 teen children being told by a security guard that they could not use a parent/child parking spot. OTOH, recently I had one buttinsky tell me that I could not use the parent/child parking when I had my almost 2 year old granddaughter with me. Evidently those parking spots are solely intended for mothers not fathers.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 05:14 PM   #37332
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Are the parent/child spots wider than usual to account for the strollers? I think I've seen some around here but can't remember.

Also for god's sake don't harass people who have a legit placard but don't "look" disabled. They might have invisible cardiac issues or a prosthetic leg hidden under their pants.
Old 06-18-2024, 05:21 PM   #37333
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

CBC is reporting a heat dome for my province. Environment Canada says to expect a humidex of 37 to 41 C. I have thermoregulation issues. Oh dear.
Old 06-18-2024, 05:31 PM   #37334
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Are the parent/child spots wider than usual to account for the strollers? I think I've seen some around here but can't remember.

Around here the parent/child spots are standard width. Most strollers are removed through the back of the vehicle where they are stored collapsed.

Quote:
Also for god's sake don't harass people who have a legit placard but don't "look" disabled. They might have invisible cardiac issues or a prosthetic leg hidden under their pants.
How about a mid-twenties woman still wearing her number from a half-marathon? That one ended with the police getting involved after she was screaming at an elderly couple that it was none of their business where she parked. One of onlookers called the police. Turned out the handicapped hanger belonged to one of her parents and she claimed not to be aware that the person the hanger was issued to was required to be in the vehicle either driving or being transported. This discussion was carried out rather loudly for the most part even after the RCMP got involved.

Of course, you also have the incredible number of people who claim not to have noticed the handicapped parking sign nor the wheelchair user logo painted in the parking spot. "I'm just going to be here for a minute or two..."
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 05:45 PM   #37335
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Yeah, don't use the placard if the disabled person isn't with you. Also don't use it if the disabled person is just sitting in the car.

I remember once seeing a trashy pickup truck (N.S. license plates but they had Confederate flags and pro-Trump bumper stickers) parked in the fire lane outside my apartment building for over an hour. Quality people there.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 06-18-2024 at 05:47 PM.

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness