Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-19-2023, 01:30 PM   #36781
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Oh, I think we all agree, especially as we get (ahem) more "matured" (well, older, anyway...) that getting the vax by and large is worth it. I have other medical things, not major, but which could get that way mighty quick if I contracted Covid. And you all know my experience with blithely ignoring the Shingles Vax (what a dumb-ass....never again).

So...yup, I'll live with the soreness and all that. It's absolutely worth it. Far better than that than 3 months of bed/house-arrest I underwent with Shingles, and all the rest of the side-effects, etc. Thanks, but no thanks. 48 hours or so of feeling a bit under the weather is nothing in comparison.

Hitch
I dislike bed rest. When I get sick, I don't do bed if I can help it. But fortunately we have a TV in the bedroom. That means I can watch TV if I am sick enough to have to stay in bed and I'm not asleep.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 02:07 PM   #36782
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
When I'm sick with colds of flus... and now covid... my sinuses always take a thrashing. My eyes are usually extra light sensitive and constantly watering. TV and reading is usually out of the question. Audiobooks to the rescue!
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2023, 02:31 PM   #36783
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Hmm. I've never been so sick I couldn't read at least for a little while. TV now... I don't watch it even when healthy, so I don't miss it when sick.

I also can't spend all day in bed even if I wanted to, as I live alone and there's no one else to take care of cats and laundry, prepare food, take out the trash or even fetch medicine from the store. So I have to get off my ass a few times a day, no matter how dreadful I feel. Fortunately I've never been so sick as to be unable to move at all.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 01:52 AM   #36784
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
When I had covid in 2022, I slept in late (as usual) but always got up, showered and sat on the sofa to go online, watched TV or read. The first couple of days my sinuses were too drippy to sleep (coughing from drip into my throat).
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 02:17 AM   #36785
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I like to cross stitch in bed at night. For that I need good light, so I have a clamp light on my headboard with a LED bulb with 3 brightness settings. It's got an E27 socket and those bulbs are sold in 3000 kelvin (cooler warm white), 2700K (warm white) and 2200K (extra warm white). I tried all three and liked the 2700K best.

Next weekend I'm moving in with my sister and I don't have a bed there where I can use my clamp light. But there are some shelves over the bed (not ones that can take a clamp) so I wanted a not too big desk lamp to use as cross stitch lighting.

But all the smaller light fixtures have an E14 socket. And whilst that bulb is sold with an E14 socket it's currently only available in 2200K, which is way too warm a colour. I know it was available in 2700K when the manufacturer introduced the bulb; we sold them in the store. So yesterday I called them, asking them if they maybe had one laying around. They looked for me, but didn't find one. Yes, I could use a different bulb, but this one is ideal for what I need it for and the three settings are great (higher setting for when I stitch during the day and a lower setting for when I stitch at night).

So the hunt for a smaller desk lamp, but with an E27 socket continues.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2023, 04:30 PM   #36786
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Watching lots of 60s Star Trek episodes while sick and feverish (enough that I couldn't even focus on reading) leads to some very strange dreams.

Granted, a lot of those episodes were kind of fever dreams in themselves....

Last edited by ownedbycats; 11-23-2023 at 08:33 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 11:39 AM   #36787
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had another fall.
Old 11-25-2023, 04:50 PM   #36788
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Wow, Mr. Hitch had his Covid and flu shots yesterday, and OMG, he had them both in he same arm, which I believe I did, too, (I think?) but it's really making him SICK. I mean, sick. His arm is really hurting him, but today he nearly tipped over and fell!

Yeah, yeah, I'm keeping an eye on him. Sheesh.

Hitch
Sympathies to Mr Hitch. I'm the only one in my family who has reactions to the Covid shot beyond mild arm pain. Pain in arm but also fever, headache, chills. Fortunately, all done in 48 hours, but at least I anticipate it now. I'm 12 days into a bad cold. Feel crappy every morning but fine by 11 except for cough. On the plus side, I don't feel drained so unlikely to have pneumonia. Even better, having an auto insulin pump instead of needles while sick is fabulous. Heck, I don't even have to give additional for meals - it figures it out. I'm going to be so sad when I'm done with this study next month and have to give it back.

Last edited by Tarana; 11-25-2023 at 04:54 PM.
Tarana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 05:09 PM   #36789
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I had another fall.
Oh, that stinks. I'm sorry.

And... living alone, you worry. I hope your support system is such that if you need help, help can be summoned. Even if you're flat on the floor.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 05:18 PM   #36790
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Sympathies to Mr Hitch. I'm the only one in my family who has reactions to the Covid shot beyond mild arm pain. Pain in arm but also fever, headache, chills. Fortunately, all done in 48 hours, but at least I anticipate it now. I'm 12 days into a bad cold. Feel crappy every morning but fine by 11 except for cough. On the plus side, I don't feel drained so unlikely to have pneumonia. Even better, having an auto insulin pump instead of needles while sick is fabulous. Heck, I don't even have to give additional for meals - it figures it out. I'm going to be so sad when I'm done with this study next month and have to give it back.
Hell, any chance you can KEEP it?????

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 10:47 AM   #36791
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

And my streak of bad luck continues. I've developed an ear infection.
Old 12-10-2023, 12:00 PM   #36792
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
And my streak of bad luck continues. I've developed an ear infection.
OH NO, I'm so sorry. What do they have you taking for it? Ears and ear infections can be brutal on the pain front. My late baby sister used to get them chronically (she and my baby bro were competitive swimmers and divers, respectively and then they swam constantly as adults), and I remember seeing my sister with tears streaming down her face due to the pain from the infection.

Is it remotely under control yet, or...?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 12:51 PM   #36793
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As this thread appears to now be old folks sounding off about their ailments... I've managed to tweak my back again doing who knows what.
Old 12-10-2023, 02:24 PM   #36794
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
As this thread appears to now be old folks sounding off about their ailments... I've managed to tweak my back again doing who knows what.
Well, if us old folks listed all our ailments, this would be the busiest thread on the entire Board. <rueful grin>

Mostly we suck it up. Only when it gets really too much do we even mention it. Well, except for Ms. Hitch whose months long bout of shingles made even my gout sound good! At least I can hit the gout with a round of prednisone to get it under control. Nothing really did much good for her.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 02:32 PM   #36795
neil_swann80

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRusselHitch
...whose months long bout of shingles made even my gout sound good!
I've had a bout of shingles, it certainly isn't fun. I thought I'd burnt myself somehow as the area was incredibly sore. Was very strange as initially the area was pristine, not a trace of blistering/rash etc.

A relative had it on their face and scalp which makes me shudder to even think about.

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness