28th March to 31st March 3 4.35%
1st April to 30th April 22 31.88%
1st May to 31st December 2009 21 30.43%
Never! 14 20.29%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #331
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
"No time, no time" gasps the white rabbit when asked about the release date for the next fw update.

"Off with their heads" the Queen of Hearts roars as soon as she sees some Bookeen customers asking for the update.

I'm rather waiting for the Wizard of Oz for some help ...
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #332
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Bookeen will use Tunes for their new firmware (see tunes.org for more informations) even HURD is too flawless for such a device, only Tunes is good
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2009, 07:10 AM   #333
Verena
Verena began at the beginning.

Device: NO MORE BOOKEEN !!
@ all of you :
I don't want to flame Bookeen ... But all I have to say today is on the site

http://www.weltbild.de/3/15862004-1/...inklusive.html

Look at the features that this item provides. And the system is ABSOLUTELY identical with the Cybook Gen3. Imo the software of this item could be easily translated as a fw-update for our CG3. What's the matter whit this french company?

... And also there's a FREE cover included by a LOWER price than the Gen3 ...
Verena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #334
Verena

Sorry, they have a new site for the Cybook:
http://www.weltbild.de/3/15862004-1/...inklusive.html

Plz see there!
Old 06-17-2009, 07:40 AM   #335
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Mellow down, gal. We've known about this for quite some time, it's been discussed in depth.
Personally, I wouldn't put this version of FW on my cybook, even if it was available; it doesn't add any functionality I'm looking for in a device (except folders). Epubs without dictionary are just as good as custom pdfs.
I'm beginning to think that the update won't be all that awesome and revolutionary afterall. So I'm trying to come to terms with that idea.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2009, 07:45 AM   #336
Verena

@ Abelturd
ok - YOU don't want the EPub ... But my public library offers many drmed books for free only to read with the Adobe Digital Editions program (acsm-files). So I wanna read my stuff with this groundbreakin' thing.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:47 AM   #337
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
So I'm trying to come to terms with that idea.
Breath in...hold...breath out.
In through the nose...out through the mouth
You are one with the All
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:49 AM   #338
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verena View Post
@ Abelturd
ok - YOU don't want the EPub ... But my public library offers many drmed books for free only to read with the Adobe Digital Editions program (acsm-files). So I wanna read my stuff with this groundbreakin' thing.
Then you'll have to be a patient girl and wait like all of us here do. Why don't you read something until then.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:34 AM   #339
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
and where is Alice when we need her ....
This is so weird: since yesterday the word Bandersnatch has been on my mind, you know, coming and going, sometimes making me say it to myself out loud. But I don't remember reading it or hearing it anywhere.
And so I looked it up on wiki and there it was - a character out of Lewis Carroll's poem.
Fess up, guys, who's been transmitting "bandersnatch" to me all yesterday.

Last edited by Abelturd; 06-17-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #340
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
May I suggest myself? (look under my name)
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #341
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
This is so weird: since yesterday the word Bandersnatch has been on my mind, you know, coming and going, sometimes making me say it to myself out loud. But I don't remember reading it or hearing it anywhere.
And so I looked it up on wiki and there it was - a character out of Lewis Carroll's poem.
As you say, the word was coined by Lewis Carroll in "The Taming of the Snark". It's also used by Larry Niven in his "known space" SF novels.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #342
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
May I suggest myself? (look under my name)
Aw right, that explains it then. Thank god, I was afraid I'm going paranormal.

If nothing else it shows I'm spending way too much time on MR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep
Breath in...hold...breath out.
In through the nose...out through the mouth
You are one with the All
Damn, I can't!
I'm still holding my breath until the firmware update comes out. I'm going for the record, you know.

Last edited by Abelturd; 06-17-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:49 AM   #343
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As you say, the word was coined by Lewis Carroll in "The Taming of the Snark".
Isn't in "The Hunting of the Snark"?

I think "Jabberwocky" (from which my tag is taken) is earlier, though.
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:24 AM   #344
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Isn't in "The Hunting of the Snark"?

I think "Jabberwocky" (from which my tag is taken) is earlier, though.
'Jabberwocky' is indeed earlier; it's from 1871, and 'The Hunting of the Snark' (I think he had Shakespeare on the brain :-)) is from '76.
mbovenka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:24 AM   #345
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Pro 612, Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verena View Post
@ Abelturd
why did you go for the Cybook when you need ePub DRM? Not that I don't encourage wishful thinking but buying a device which says it will eventually support the format I am mainly interested in seems a little overenthusiastic - unless I am really, really patient (which I am not :-)

Not to spoil your day but there are a few things you might want to consider:

1) There will have to be a new firmware for existing Cybook users with mobi DRM (I really doubt they can ditch all their customers who already bought DRMed mobi books). This FW will - with reasonable certainty - not handle DRMed ePub (that might change when Amazon yields to pressure but I would not bet money on that happening very soon).

2) Whether a second FW with ePub DRM (and without mobi DRM) will be available for current Cybook users is not certain. Given that you could just take the Weltbild FW which will eventually leak into the wild, I expect there will be one eventually but we do not know when. Plus, you would have to own a Cybook with the new hardware and risk losing support if you put an unofficial FW on your device.

3) If they release an official FW for existing customers with ePub DRM I would assume that ePub support will be a little flakey at first and need at least one more update to get most things right. And that's not because I think Bookeen hasn't tested their stuff, it's just the way it is when there is a major change in the existing code (and ePub DRM is entirely new code). There is not one software company who I would trust to release something on that scale without some flaws the first time around.

So, if you need ePub DRM really badly, why not go for the Weltbild edition (if you don't want to go for another company)? If you already bought it, then your options are limited: sitting it out or trying to trade it for the Weltbild edition...
Snuffi is offline   Reply With Quote