Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 04-25-2022, 09:15 AM   #3421
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thank you jasius for the heads up.

After rolling back to the most recent stable, the WiFi connection on my Kobo Elipsa is working again. That said, I only a did a short test.

Seems like something broke it since March 24th.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 11:22 AM   #3422
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The only Wi-Fi related commit is https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/8942, and that landed *in* 2022.03.1 . (So I'm going to need clarification on what "the latest stable" exactly means for you, and whether your experience differs between 2022.03 and 2022.03.1 ).

The only major change is the autostandby feature, but that is opt-in (and a terrible idea anywhere else than on an Elipsa or a Sage), so did either of you happen to enable it?

There's even *less* changes between -37 and -38 (as the number implies, only one, actually ^^).

As usual, can't tell you much more without verbose debug logs.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-25-2022 at 11:26 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2022, 10:33 PM   #3423
jasius
Connoisseur
jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The only Wi-Fi related commit is https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/8942, and that landed *in* 2022.03.1 . (So I'm going to need clarification on what "the latest stable" exactly means for you, and whether your experience differs between 2022.03 and 2022.03.1 ).

The only major change is the autostandby feature, but that is opt-in (and a terrible idea anywhere else than on an Elipsa or a Sage), so did either of you happen to enable it?

There's even *less* changes between -37 and -38 (as the number implies, only one, actually ^^).

As usual, can't tell you much more without verbose debug logs.

The version on the STABLE server that works perfectly is 202203010000

When I tried -38 and -40 I got the hangs on opening dictionary then crashes issue.

With my Libra 2 with the latest firmware of 4.32.19501

With -41 I was able to successfully look up ONE word with no issue, when I tried the 2nd word I got a black dictionary window and the ereader reset itself. After the Libra 2 reboots itself and I launch back into KOReader, I can't even use the dictionary once, after highlighting a word, the dictionary doesn't even pop up anymore, it just crashes back to Nickel. When I go to downgrade by switching back to Stable the screen doesn't render properly but I can still press the Downgrade button.

Again on the 202203010000 build I have ZERO issues with anything. So I'll have to use that for now, hopefully these bugs don't make it into the stable channel build.

Last edited by jasius; 04-25-2022 at 10:39 PM.
jasius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 04:51 PM   #3424
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That looks more like the usual Libra 2 shenanigans than anything else, unfortunately ;o).

Do you remember using earlier (i.e., between 2022.03.1 and -38) nightlies without issues?

And wouldn't you say that the issues curiously started occurring right after you updated your device to 4.32?
Old 04-26-2022, 06:10 PM   #3425
jasius
Connoisseur
jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That looks more like the usual Libra 2 shenanigans than anything else, unfortunately ;o).

Do you remember using earlier (i.e., between 2022.03.1 and -38) nightlies without issues?

And wouldn't you say that the issues curiously started occurring right after you updated your device to 4.32?
I had stable usage with the nightlies before -38 yes.

This did start with the new 4.32 firmware, but this is feedback, these issues are real.
Advert
Old 04-27-2022, 06:56 PM   #3426
NiLuJe
BLAM!

See https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/9038 for an eerily similar report that was pinpointed to the auto standby feature, which I think is what I started asking you about .

(As in, double-check that you really don't have it enabled, please ).

(Incidentally, that report perfectly shot down my 4.32 theory, so, progress!).
Old 04-27-2022, 11:42 PM   #3427
jasius
Connoisseur

Quote:
See https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/9038 for an eerily similar report that was pinpointed to the auto standby feature, which I think is what I started asking you about .

(As in, double-check that you really don't have it enabled, please ).

(Incidentally, that report perfectly shot down my 4.32 theory, so, progress!).
Going into Plugins and unchecking Auto Power Save fixed the crashing when using the dictionary.

Strangely either it's this newest -41 build or something the Auto Power Save plugin did, but when I go into Screen>Rotation the options for all the different rotations are no longer there, luckily the rotation options on the bottom bar still work. What a weird quirk.

Last edited by jasius; 04-27-2022 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-28-2022, 08:09 AM   #3428
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasius View Post
Strangely either it's this newest -41 build or something the Auto Power Save plugin did, but when I go into Screen>Rotation the options for all the different rotations are no longer there, luckily the rotation options on the bottom bar still work. What a weird quirk.
None of them. When you have a document opened you're expected to change the rotation in the bottom menu.

The Settings->Screen->Rotation will only include "keep current rotation across views".
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 04:53 PM   #3429
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Okay, that's interesting. Disabling the whole plugin is a bit drastic, especially given that autostandby/shutdown shouldn't have changed behavior.

What's a tad strange is that the only addition to this plugin is auto standby, and it should be *disabled* (and completely inert) by default.

So, could you check if things behave with the "Auto power save" *plugin* enabled, but Auto *standby* disabled (it's in [Gear] > Device, IIRC), and Auto *suspend* & *shutdown* enabled at their default values?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-28-2022 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-28-2022, 04:55 PM   #3430
NiLuJe
BLAM!

(The other good news is that enabling auto standby is mostly an user experience downgrade on your device, unless you have extremely specific needs for power savings (and even then, I'd have to put actual numbers on it, as I've never been convinced it was a good idea on i.MX SoCs)).

It's designed very specifically for the boards using a sunxi SoC (currently, Elipsa & Sage).
Old 04-28-2022, 10:24 PM   #3431
jasius
Connoisseur

Quote:
Okay, that's interesting. Disabling the whole plugin is a bit drastic, especially given that autostandby/shutdown shouldn't have changed behavior.

What's a tad strange is that the only addition to this plugin is auto standby, and it should be *disabled* (and completely inert) by default.

So, could you check if things behave with the "Auto power save" *plugin* enabled, but Auto *standby* disabled (it's in [Gear] > Device, IIRC), and Auto *suspend* & *shutdown* enabled at their default values?
What you're describing I tried first, and it didn't work, I had to disable the plugin.

I use the sleep cover so I don't really care about auto power.

What about the Rotation options missing from the Screen>Rotation menu? Is that intentional? As I stated, I still have access to that from the bottom menu, but I'd still like to know.
Old 05-02-2022, 10:44 PM   #3432
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasius View Post
What you're describing I tried first, and it didn't work, I had to disable the plugin.

I use the sleep cover so I don't really care about auto power.

What about the Rotation options missing from the Screen>Rotation menu? Is that intentional? As I stated, I still have access to that from the bottom menu, but I'd still like to know.
Try installing the latest daily update and see if this fixes the problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 09:23 AM   #3433
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Just wanted to confirm that the WiFi issues I've been having are gone after NiLuJe's enormous pull request.

Thanks as always, the amount of work you have done to improve Kobo device compatibility is amazing. I don't even know what to say at this point.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 12:55 PM   #3434
niki11784
niki11784 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I am a complete Koreader newbie and I have a few questions:

I'm trying to organize my books by publishing date- do either of those allow that?

Also, right now Koreader is showing my books as a list of folders with the authors names and the books are inside the folders. I want one list with all my books and cover images like the original kobo list. How do I fix that?

How do I access the Calibre library from Koreader on the device?
niki11784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 05:46 AM   #3435
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Alita
Got myself identical KOReader installations running on the two current most-recommended e-readers: Kobo Libra 2 and Kindle Paperwhite 5. I'm thinking of doing a full comparison later this week. Trying to decide between them myself to see which one I should keep.

Some initial impressions:

* Instinctively, I like the Libra 2 more because the white color and shape and design are a lot nicer than the Paperwhite's boring black design with the chin.
* The Paperwhite has MUCH better battery life on KOReader than the Libra 2, and also has that cool, special-hardware-integrated page-turn animation, which I ended up liking a lot.
* The Libra 2 has more unstable kernel (apparently a hopeless situation), from what I hear, so the entire device occasionally crashes and reboots, especially when adjusting frontlight settings and sometimes just randomly. The Paperwhite also has some idiosyncratic bugs on KOReader that I noticed, but no crashes yet.
* The Libra 2 screen is a lot nicer than the Paperwhite's. Blacks are more black on the Libra 2 as opposed to more grayish on the Paperwhite. The Libra 2 screen itself is larger than the Paperwhite's (those 0.2" between 6.8" and 7" seem to make a huge difference somehow).
* There is an upgradable (to 256GB) SD card in the Libra 2 but not the Paperwhite.

Last edited by mbrisco; 06-18-2022 at 05:54 AM.
mbrisco is offline   Reply With Quote