Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 05-22-2023, 02:17 PM   #3421
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Hoopla is your friend.
Yes. I have to check and see if my complimentary Stark Library eCard has expired yet. As a resident, I only have so long before I need to visit a location and upgrade (still free) to a full-fledged card.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 02:25 PM   #3422
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Doesn't audible still let you return or exchange books, particularly if you bought by mistake?
Not sure, really. But I'm sure I'm past any "no questions asked" grace period by now. I'll certainly check for next time, though.
Advert
Old 05-22-2023, 02:31 PM   #3423
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I think there are both good and bad narrators of every gender. That being said, I would say there's a slight advantage to the female narrators. But I much prefer the subtle approach of a Grover Gardner rather than those who try to completely change their voice for each character. (And I especially hate really BAD "American" accents from English narrators, who just don't get it right!)
My candidate for worst voice characterization ever is a double whammy, female voiced by male and American accent (Southern, too, which tends to be worst of all) voiced by a Brit. And it's by my favorite narrator of all time.

Spoiler:
Mrs. Wogan in Patrick O'Brian's Desolation Island, read by Simon Vance

It's... painful.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 02:35 PM   #3424
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Not sure, really. But I'm sure I'm past any "no questions asked" grace period by now. I'll certainly check for next time, though.
It's six months, just as an FYI. So if it's one of the credits you bought in the past month or so, you should still be good. If you look at your library, the books that still qualify have a return button.

Yeah, I know you probably know this.

ETA: Oops, I should qualify this to say that it used to be six months, but it might have been changed.
Old 05-22-2023, 03:04 PM   #3425
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm not nearly as picky about narrators as many of you seem to be. When there's a book by an unfamiliar author that seems like a maybe from the description, the narrator might influence me one way or the other. But that doesn't happen much.

Although I do have a few favorites and a few dislikes, most narrators just fade into the background for me.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2023, 03:18 PM   #3426
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yeah, I know you probably know this.

ETA: Oops, I should qualify this to say that it used to be six months, but it might have been changed.
I did NOT know this, actually. Thanks! I'll check it out.
Old 05-22-2023, 03:31 PM   #3427
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I did NOT know this, actually. Thanks! I'll check it out.
Still a year, according to this link, which has the return instructions:

https://help.audible.com/s/article/c...language=en_US

The biggest catch for me, IIRC is that you need to have an active membership (either trial or paid) to return stuff.
IOW, IIRC, Last time I was on a 90-day, three credit trial, during the 90 days, I had the option to return books, but once the 90 day trial lapsed and I didn't renew, I lost the return buttons.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 05-22-2023 at 03:34 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 03:43 PM   #3428
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Thank you both! I was able to return the mistaken purchase and get a credit back. I had to log into Audible's website and go to Account->Purchase History (which presented its own temporary issues) but I finally got there.

EDIT: and having done all that, I managed to find my way to my Purchase History withIn the Audible app.

I've seen no return buttons anywhere in my library. Only links to return this item from the purchase history in the account submenu.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-22-2023 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-22-2023, 03:55 PM   #3429
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

I've seen no return buttons anywhere in my library. Only links to return this item from the purchase history in the account submenu.

Yes, the linked instruction specify going to purchase history, not library. I think Issy was using the term "library" loosely.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 03:58 PM   #3430
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Yes, the linked instruction specify going to purchase history, not library. I think Issy was using the term "library" loosely.
Sorry. Glad it worked out.
Old 05-22-2023, 04:07 PM   #3431
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

No worries. Happy for the pointers.
Old 05-23-2023, 12:56 AM   #3432
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
My candidate for worst voice characterization ever is a double whammy, female voiced by male and American accent (Southern, too, which tends to be worst of all) voiced by a Brit. And it's by my favorite narrator of all time.

Spoiler:
Mrs. Wogan in Patrick O'Brian's Desolation Island, read by Simon Vance

It's... painful.
Yeah, not my favourite. But I've never been as big a fan as you of Simon Vance, though I generally like him. My absolute least favourite narrator is Ulli Birvé after being forced to listen to her intolerable Georgette Heyer mysteries. No inflection at all, totally s l o w and monotone. I actually returned it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 12:42 PM   #3433
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yeah, not my favourite. But I've never been as big a fan as you of Simon Vance, though I generally like him. My absolute least favourite narrator is Ulli Birvé after being forced to listen to her intolerable Georgette Heyer mysteries. No inflection at all, totally s l o w and monotone. I actually returned it.
Like you, my favorite was also my first. Or vice versa. There are several narrators who objectively are as good as my top three, but the top three established themselves by being early and several. They couldn't be dislodged.

And sometimes the voice, which in other situations is great, just isn't a good fit. I wish, for example, that Patrick Tull had read more of Cornwall's Sharpe books. He was excellent. Frederick Davidson read most of them and his voice wasn't right for either Sharpe or Sgt. Harper (and in fact, his Sgt. Harper* runs a close second to Mrs. Wogan as worst voice characterization of all time). I prefer Timothy West reading Trollope to Vance, although Vance is fine.

*On reflection, given that Harper was in almost all the Sharpe novels and Mrs. Wogan was one and done, he may beat her out at that.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:22 PM   #3434
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Like you, my favorite was also my first. Or vice versa. There are several narrators who objectively are as good as my top three, but the top three established themselves by being early and several. They couldn't be dislodged.

And sometimes the voice, which in other situations is great, just isn't a good fit. I wish, for example, that Patrick Tull had read more of Cornwall's Sharpe books. He was excellent. Frederick Davidson read most of them and his voice wasn't right for either Sharpe or Sgt. Harper (and in fact, his Sgt. Harper* runs a close second to Mrs. Wogan as worst voice characterization of all time). I prefer Timothy West reading Trollope to Vance, although Vance is fine.

*On reflection, given that Harper was in almost all the Sharpe novels and Mrs. Wogan was one and done, he may beat her out at that.
I completely concur. Though I didn't find Davidson (real name, David Case) quite as annoying for Harper as you did, I agree that Tull did a superb job with the one's he did.

And yes, one's first is often one's favourite. Part of that, I suspect, is that those early books were such a joy. My first real memories of audio books (the old Books on Tape) were of Donada Peters reading West with the Night, and Tull reading the Aubrey/Maturin series. Definitely 5 star books and performances.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 10:19 AM   #3435
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Based on a highly laudatory recommendation for the audiobook in the Washington Post, I'm listening to Act of Oblivion by Robert Harris, a novelization of the 17th century manhunt in New England for the regicides. It's read by Tim McInnerny (Captain Darling!) who does an excellent job with the various voices.

But between the glacial narration and the glacial prose, the book as produced is an approximation of eternity. Bumping up the speed (a lot) fixes the narration, but it only tangentially helps with the constant drip of overwhelming detail in the story. I shall persevere, however; one of those situations where an interest in the setting and the events will keep me going.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations