Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-03-2018, 05:00 PM   #32266
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
It might have a shot if you both label the hole with the store's name and put in a new doorbell switch there. It doesn't have to be connected to anything, just there so they have something else to push for a while.

If you are really feeling mischievous connect it to a light or something that you can see from the door but isn't going to be obnoxious during the week. That way they can push the "bell", see that something is happening, and still not disturb you.

(Yes, I know you will then get complaints about "no one answering" but you already get those and at least this way you won't get disturbed as much.)
We've discussed making a lighted sign of either an arrow pointing to the opening times or one that says "We're Closed!" and connect it to a new doorbell button.

We also have one of those fence electrifiers that give short, sharp shocks. My father got it when people (men) kept peeing against the side door. He put a wire on the door and connected the electrifier. The neighbours across the street told us it was very entertaining to watch and they were amazed at how high some men jumped. One person complained to the police and was told it's his own fault for peeing against a door. We did get a visit but the police only told my father that legally he probably couldn't do that (they weren't entirely sure themselves, since the only persons who got shocked were those breaking the law themselves) but the police would tolerate it.

Sometimes it's very tempting to install a metal doorbell button and connect the electrifier. You can't do that, but it's very tempting nonetheless.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #32267
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Almost all customers I helped today were nice people. Except one. And it wasn't that she was mean or demanding. But she didn't listen (which can be worse). The conversation:

Customer: I need this light bulb (shows a halogen bulb).
Me: I'm sorry but those aren't available anymore. Osram was the only manufacturer that made those and stopped production. When we heard we bought up all the stock our suppliers still had, but they've sold out.
Customer: Oh, but when are you expecting a new shipment.
Me: I don't, they've stopped making them and none of my supplier can get them anymore. You could try other stores or online.
Customer: ....Can I order some.
Me: (mental sigh) I can, but I won't get them since they're not produced anymore.

I hate it when customers don't listen or think if they keep asking the same thing, maybe in different wording, that the answer they get will change into something they like.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2018, 07:02 PM   #32268
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
The light's on, but no one's home.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:20 PM   #32269
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
The light's on, but no one's home.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #32270
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
The last couple days when I have gone to my libraries' Overdrive pages I have gotten a full page splash screen advertising Libby (Overdrive's new app) where I have to find the small text link to "go to my library" and click it in order to get to my account. This is after they have been showing a large banner for it on the main page for the last 6 months or so.

QUIT IT!

I already have the app for when I need to read on my phone and it does nothing to help me read on my Kindle. I'm considering uninstalling it and just using the old Overdrive app just to spite them.
Every time I log onto the Google play store on my PC it offers me the Chrome browser. I actually have the Chrome browser on my computer, it just wasn't the browser I was using at the moment. I don't need to download it again!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2018, 03:54 PM   #32271
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I drive a small car. When I go to a place like a grocery store or mall with a large parking lot, I try to park either between two other small cars or farther away from the store where I can park between empty spaces. Yet when I come out of the store inevitably some giant truck, van or SUV will have managed to park right next to me, blocking visibility so I have to back out of my parking place an inch at a time, hoping not to get smashed by one of the many idiots who drive way too fast through parking lots.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:29 PM   #32272
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I drive a small car. When I go to a place like a grocery store or mall with a large parking lot, I try to park either between two other small cars or farther away from the store where I can park between empty spaces. Yet when I come out of the store inevitably some giant truck, van or SUV will have managed to park right next to me, blocking visibility so I have to back out of my parking place an inch at a time, hoping not to get smashed by one of the many idiots who drive way too fast through parking lots.
I make an effort to find a pull-through space. That way I almost never have to back out. Too many people with kids refuse to hold their hands in a parking lots and I'm afraid of squashing a kid I can't see because they are too short. I prefer to walk further than to deal with that, but sometimes I'm stuck if I have my brother (disabled spot). I have a van, I get you, but at least they are leaving you space to get into your car! I've had people park so close that I have to climb into the passenger side to get into my van.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:33 PM   #32273
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Almost all customers I helped today were nice people. Except one. And it wasn't that she was mean or demanding. But she didn't listen (which can be worse). The conversation:

Customer: I need this light bulb (shows a halogen bulb).
Me: I'm sorry but those aren't available anymore. Osram was the only manufacturer that made those and stopped production. When we heard we bought up all the stock our suppliers still had, but they've sold out.
It's because you are making it too complicated. Easier would have just to have said that there was only one manufacturer and they no longer make them. You could try other stores or online to see if they might still have some left in their inventory.

I found that I just confused customers with too much information. But, I've done that myself.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:35 PM   #32274
Tarana
Wizard

My rant for the day is that even after I tell someone to speak up because I'm a bit hard of hearing, they do for 2 or 3 sentences and then go back to quiet or mumbling. Drives me nuts. Then they get mad when I hold a finger up that they can see to get their attention, and I repeat "I am hard of hearing, please speak up." Geeze, you didn't get it the first time, what else do you want me to do? Talk over you?

Sadly, I'm probably someone else's rant because I talk loud. I'm in such a habit of it because of the people I live with (Mom has a hearing aid but often doesn't wear it).

Last edited by Tarana; 07-15-2018 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:07 AM   #32275
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
I'm another small-car owner who agrees with you on this!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:28 PM   #32276
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I was stupid I got a second Oasis 7" this one in Champagne gold now I am stuck with 2 and having trouble selling my other Oasis

Love the Champagne gold BUT the battery life is worse! I read 10% of a book after charging it and power went down by 15%.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:30 PM   #32277
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:

I drive a Kia Rio and I hate being blocked by big SUVs my solution is I park where I do not need to back up meaning i drive into the space in front of the space so I can just drive forward instead of backing up and I can see where I am going
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:06 PM   #32278
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
My groceries have to go in the back of my MINI. And it's got "barn door" style doors, which open out, left and right. So I have to stay in a back-end-out spot, rather than pulling forward. Unless the guy in front nicely pulls out just as I'm leaving.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:22 PM   #32279
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Guess what, it's Monday. If you want next Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday off, this is NOT the time to tell me. I realize I was behind on doing schedules but I did 2 of them on Friday. Not rearranging the whole thing because you HAVE to have those days off. And you worked all weekend long where those schedules were up.

Rearrange YOUR life for once. I'm not redoing a week's schedule for one person. Good luck with your coworkers too. You've ticked most of them off to the point where they won't cover for you anymore.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:22 PM   #32280
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
My groceries have to go in the back of my MINI. And it's got "barn door" style doors, which open out, left and right. So I have to stay in a back-end-out spot, rather than pulling forward. Unless the guy in front nicely pulls out just as I'm leaving.
My Mini has a hatchback, and so does Susie's van so we're in the same boat.

With the van, the wheelchair ramp comes out on the passenger side, so depending on which side of the handicapped parking space the access aisle is we might have to back in anyway. When that happens we just have to pull ahead enough so the hatch doesn't hit the handicapped sign. Sometimes that's far enough to block one lane of traffic. Oh well, I guess the able bodied folks will just have to deal with it.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness