Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-20-2018, 09:19 AM   #32236
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
My heart bleeds for the poor starving insurance companies and there overpaid executives. Sorry, Hitch. First, unlike you, they can (and do) demand a break from the full cost of those fees. And second? Their profits clearly aren't being impacted materially.

I do not doubt that they are a significant part of your business costs. And for small business people, I both sympathize and am willing to accept that I might have to pay for the privilege. (BTW, Canada has Interac Direct, which is a hugely better way to get money between individuals and/or businesses. It's instantaneous, has no fee on the recipient, and a small one on the sender.)
Charlie:

My point is, they don't pay those costs--you do. One way or another, you, the customer, pay it. In much the same way that those thousands of dollars that vaporize from my shop have to be made up somehow, so, too, would the (likely) hundreds of thousands or even millions, I'd guess, end up getting made up in your rates, at the insurer.

That was my point. Sure, you can "insist" that they eat the rates, and not charge you...but they will simply shift the burden to another pain point. Rates or this or that.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:02 PM   #32237
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As opposed to....?

(sigh)

I just had a client, one that I actually truly like, ask me to change the title of his Index section (for my UK friends, the one at the back of the book, not the TOC at the front) to "Complete Index."

As opposed to the Incomplete Index, presumably?

Hitch
Advert
Old 06-21-2018, 04:49 PM   #32238
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Are you indexing every instance of the word "the"? And "a" and "an"? Then tell him it isn't complete.

(Unless you are.)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:51 PM   #32239
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Are you indexing every instance of the word "the"? And "a" and "an"? Then tell him it isn't complete.

(Unless you are.)
Uhhh... wouldn't that be a concordance?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:05 PM   #32240
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:

(Unless you are.)
snort,

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Uhhh... wouldn't that be a concordance?
T'would, indeed!

What would I do without you guys?

Complete Index. Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze....

Hitch
Advert
Old 06-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #32241
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
[ . . . ] (for my UK friends, the one at the back of the book, not the TOC at the front) [ . . . ]
What makes you think your UK friends would be confused. I just checked three recent UK published and printed books, each of them had a "Contents" at the front and an "Index" at the back ?

"Complete Index" sounds like a marketing slogan, or maybe your author is planning to include an "Abridged Index"

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:22 PM   #32242
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
What makes you think your UK friends would be confused. I just checked three recent UK published and printed books, each of them had a "Contents" at the front and an "Index" at the back ?

"Complete Index" sounds like a marketing slogan, or maybe your author is planning to include an "Abridged Index"

BR
Because, somewhere in the thousands of emails that I've fielded, over the last decade, I've had the TOC referred to, as the Index, many, many times by our cousins across the big pond. ;-) (And their cousins on the other corner of the world, our friends in OZ and New Zulland!).

Hitch
Old 06-21-2018, 07:47 PM   #32243
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Because, somewhere in the thousands of emails that I've fielded, over the last decade, I've had the TOC referred to, as the Index, many, many times by our cousins across the big pond. ;-) (And their cousins on the other corner of the world, our friends in OZ and New Zulland!).

Hitch
I wonder if that's just a general dummy mistake? Non country based? (raises hand ... I mean, I know the difference, but I could blithely use the wrong term and not think about it.)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:42 PM   #32244
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I took your "for my UK friends . . ." statement as saying the UK in general reversed the usage of 'Contents' and 'Index', which didn't ring true; which is why I looked at three books I happen to have on my desk.

BR
Old 06-21-2018, 10:39 PM   #32245
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I wonder if that's just a general dummy mistake? Non country based? (raises hand ... I mean, I know the difference, but I could blithely use the wrong term and not think about it.)
Well, God, yes, I should never rule that possibility out. I can't tell you the questions I've fielded, the things we fix, quietly...(FORWARD is not the bloody Foreword, people!), and so on and so forth, so, sure.

Quote:
I took your "for my UK friends . . ." statement as saying the UK in general reversed the usage of 'Contents' and 'Index', which didn't ring true; which is why I looked at three books I happen to have on my desk.

BR
No, I simply meant that it seems to have more of a hold in the UK, but if I had to bet my life savings (all 2 digits of it) on the idea that I'd only heard it from UK visitors, versus US visitors, etc., I wouldn't. I don't recall how many, or if they were all from one country or the other. It's just a sense I have from my memory.

Hitch
Old 06-22-2018, 04:32 AM   #32246
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:

BR
No confusion here about where the TOC and Index belong.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:14 PM   #32247
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
The last couple days when I have gone to my libraries' Overdrive pages I have gotten a full page splash screen advertising Libby (Overdrive's new app) where I have to find the small text link to "go to my library" and click it in order to get to my account. This is after they have been showing a large banner for it on the main page for the last 6 months or so.

QUIT IT!

I already have the app for when I need to read on my phone and it does nothing to help me read on my Kindle. I'm considering uninstalling it and just using the old Overdrive app just to spite them.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:23 PM   #32248
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
The last couple days when I have gone to my libraries' Overdrive pages I have gotten a full page splash screen advertising Libby (Overdrive's new app) where I have to find the small text link to "go to my library" and click it in order to get to my account. This is after they have been showing a large banner for it on the main page for the last 6 months or so.

QUIT IT!

I already have the app for when I need to read on my phone and it does nothing to help me read on my Kindle. I'm considering uninstalling it and just using the old Overdrive app just to spite them.
I have been getting that Libby promo screen even when accessing the library on my desktop computer. I really don't need Libby on my desktop.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:07 PM   #32249
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I have been getting that Libby promo screen even when accessing the library on my desktop computer. I really don't need Libby on my desktop.
Exactly! There's no point in it on a desktop.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:13 PM   #32250
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
No, I simply meant that it seems to have more of a hold in the UK, but if I had to bet my life savings (all 2 digits of it) on the idea that I'd only heard it from UK visitors, versus US visitors, etc., I wouldn't. I don't recall how many, or if they were all from one country or the other. It's just a sense I have from my memory.
Speak of the devil ==>> Index

Country unknown.

BR

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness