Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-02-2018, 04:47 PM   #301
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRipple View Post
What about lagginess/delay? Is it really as in video from notebook italia where max 2 was shown for the first time?
I tried the monitor, HDMI connected, since the kind folks at Onyx are so kind to distribute the HDMI → HDMI-mini cable with the box.

Now the question was: how well do you find your way using the mouse. And the answer to me is, well not as well as with traditional systems, but it is usable and you get used to it soon. The discriminator is if you forget the issue during the use, and I yes did forget the non-usual experience with the mouse and started using it naturally. Like managing the voice delays in a Voice over IP call with non perfect connection, better than many VoIP calls with imperfect connection.

Some lag is there, I did not compute it: but like a call it is not a problem if both parties agree to respect turns.
So, Cuphead looks very nice but you will not beat the boss ; )
Many other contexts are certainly adequate.

The "monitor" experience
-- either requires an extra setting that updates a screen cell only if the changes are above some threshold, or
-- requires insuring that changes in some area of the screen do not involve dithering changes in areas that did remain unchanged in the original rendering. In other words, it seems that if on the screen an area is changed, other graphics in the EPD is changed, in areas which are instead static, because the computation of their dithering changed.
The problem with this, is that the battery would be drained uselessly.

Quote:
What about programming/writing experience?
Writing, I do directly on the tablet (chiefly). I see that Kingsoft seems to have an issue, presumably with Android 6: refresh does not cover the last stripe at the bottom of the page.
I will try WPS 10.
Coding, I need proper light to try anything.

Quote:
Is there an option to switch to A2 mode?
'Course there is, the icon we had in all the firmwares until memory fades is still there in all of the screenshots that include the statusbar.
And latest fondly remembered with fondness and familiarity just a few hours ago, six posts above yours.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:00 PM   #302
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
You may expect the OBMC2P to be capable of being almost three times as fast on single threading, and you have four cores instead of just one so tasks will not get clogged in a single queue. Counting the multicore, you may have gains that bring you from 3 to 8 times the performance of the Max in the former two generations.
Raw speed confirmed: 3 to 8 times your typical Onyx device (i.MX6 SoloLite based).
Advert
Old 01-02-2018, 05:12 PM   #303
KindleMeAndrey
Enthusiast
KindleMeAndrey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard
Anyone care to post a video of handwriting-to-text recognition via Google Handwriting Input or MyScript Stylus? Is it enjoyable to do (assuming you enjoy handwriting)?
KindleMeAndrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:29 PM   #304
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleMeAndrey View Post
Anyone care to post a video of handwriting-to-text recognition via Google Handwriting Input or MyScript Stylus? Is it enjoyable to do (assuming you enjoy handwriting)?
I tried my custom version of Graffiti (com.access_company.graffiti) and it worked only alternatively, unreliably. Not productive. There is a new version out after many years of silence, maybe it works better.

I tried "MyScript Stylus" and it seems to work well - but either it must be further configured than the default settings, or it seems really bent to work on EPD, having a high animation amount (the text scrolls as you write it...).
Note that for some reason the web page at myscript.com states "This application is not available any more."
Old 01-02-2018, 11:07 PM   #305
KindleMeAndrey
Enthusiast
KindleMeAndrey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard
I have MyScript Stylus installed on my iPad, and I didn't see an option to turn off the animation. Bummer, but I suppose eInk awareness is a new thing for developers. I might write to MyScript peeps and tell them about it.
How about Google Handwriting Input?
KindleMeAndrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2018, 01:04 AM   #306
Icey
Connoisseur
Icey began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx max
What about the reading experience ? Is the processorbhelp to turn pages faster on heavy pdf ?
Is the screen is significantly better than tjebfirst onyx max ?

Thanks
Icey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:17 AM   #307
oranges
Enthusiast
oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Onyx Boox N96 & Max2
EDIT: moved post to Onyx Boox Max2 Issues thread

Last edited by oranges; 01-03-2018 at 08:44 AM.
oranges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:56 AM   #308
oranges
Enthusiast
oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Onyx Boox N96 & Max2
EDIT: moved post to Onyx Boox Max2 Issues thread

Last edited by oranges; 01-03-2018 at 08:44 AM.
oranges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:01 AM   #309
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
@mdp, is the screen mirroring much more efficient than with Max Carta an vnc/other solutions? Does the hdmi connection provide a big improvement?

Many thanks for all your comments
SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:47 AM   #310
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icey View Post
Is the processorbhelp to turn pages faster on heavy pdf ?
Immensely. In some applications, you really have a perception of 8x speed (reminder: your experience will be variable from 3x to 8x, where relevant).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icey View Post
Is the screen is significantly better than tjebfirst onyx max ?
That I want to check more thoroughly

Last edited by mdp; 01-03-2018 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:00 AM   #311
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
@mdp, is the screen mirroring much more efficient than with Max Carta an vnc/other solutions? Does the hdmi connection provide a big improvement?
Onyx's monitor solution (software + hardware) works very, very well.
You plug the cable, you see a "Toshiba" monitor in your park - I tried on several OS, no problem. There, you can extend, mirror etc. from the source desktop OS.

Yes, the experience on HDMI + monitor software surely, after experience, beats VNC /on the weak MaxCarta/. But to use remote desktop solutions on the Max2 - VNC, RDP, NX, TeamViewer - will be very interesting and there is ample chance to obtain productive environments.
So, remote desktop solutions will work in more cases (network distance etc.) and at the moment could reveal more flexible.

For example: the Onyx Monitor application forces video to A2. But, not only you sometimes want the best rendering of screen content: "normal" mode makes it easier to use the mouse because the cursor is forced to leave a trail!
On MS-Windows, there is an accessibility option to do that natively (simulating via software what the EPD would do naturally). On Linux it is more complicated (you have to use Compiz to get a "mouse cursor trail" option).

Last edited by mdp; 01-03-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:18 AM   #312
Jayjee
Connoisseur
Jayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Have received the Max2 as well.
Like Oranges, I have troubles installing Google play services (in my case to get google sheets working).

Also - can the standard neoreader app display two pages of a pdf next to each other in landscape mode? I have tried to accompish this but not succeeded. Mobilesheets has the setting, but it has no effect, view simply stays the same (contrary to my phone, where it works fine but of course renders the score illegibly small).

Other issues: sometimes the note taking/ scribbler app / function in Neoreader crashed - with no apparent reason, rendering the whole device unresponsive for several minutes...

Battery life is not good, but works for until now...
Jayjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:43 PM   #313
rogerpiano
Connoisseur
rogerpiano began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max2
Hello everyone.
I received my Max 2 today and I had little time to try it. I am a musician and I immediately uploaded PDF of sheet music for piano and orchestral scores. For me, at the first impression, it is exceptional!
I had the M92 for 5 years and obviously we are on another planet. PDFs open quickly, the pages turn as fast and the visualization is excellent. In the next few days I will test all the functions better, but for the moment everything is ok. It is very light and easy to handle.
I would have preferred a hard case, but I think I will make a tailor-made one.
rogerpiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:25 PM   #314
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpiano View Post
Hello everyone.
I received my Max 2 today and I had little time to try it. I am a musician and I immediately uploaded PDF of sheet music for piano and orchestral scores. For me, at the first impression, it is exceptional!
I had the M92 for 5 years and obviously we are on another planet. PDFs open quickly, the pages turn as fast and the visualization is excellent. In the next few days I will test all the functions better, but for the moment everything is ok. It is very light and easy to handle.
I would have preferred a hard case, but I think I will make a tailor-made one.
Thanks for posting this. Do you use Zubersoft's MobileSheets?
Are you using Bluetooth pedal to turn pages? Which one if yes?
Is Bluetooth power draining the battery?
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:57 PM   #315
rogerpiano
Connoisseur
rogerpiano began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
Thanks for posting this. Do you use Zubersoft's MobileSheets?
Are you using Bluetooth pedal to turn pages? Which one if yes?
Is Bluetooth power draining the battery?
When I play live I prefer to use paper (if I do not play by heart). I need the Max above all to teach, to always have with me my music library and to study even when I'm away from home. In these days I will try some music notation software.
rogerpiano is offline   Reply With Quote