Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #301
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedancer885 View Post
is there a way to put the covers generated by the "Generate Cover" plugin into the epub file when downloading a new story or updating an existing one? If there isn't I'd like to ask for this feature. I use Moon+ reader on my Android tablet and when I import stories the program tries to use the cover in the epub file. If there isn't one, Moon+ generates a truly atrocius cover. I'd prefer the covers I generate with the GC plugin.
As promised, I have looked into this.

I'm not very keen to move the GC step to before epub generation. Going after epub gen, GC can include {Current Cover}, so if there's a story specific (or site default) cover image it can be included.

Nor am I terribly keen to add a second pass to insert the cover image after the epub is generated. I think my earlier suggestions are probably the best:

Quote:
In the meantime, if you use the default_cover_image feature, the epub will have a cover, if not the right one. Then, if you're using calibre to send the epub to your device, calibre will replace it with the current cover.

Also, the latest beta of the 'Modify ePub' plugin can insert as well as update covers. I expect that the official release will be out in a few days.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #302
jackr
Connoisseur
jackr has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook STR, Pocket eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
So like a whitelist for each device? Rather than all new/updated stories going on to the "Send to Devices" lists, only those that are already on a different "Stories to Send to Device" list?

I can probably do that, as long as there's only one "Stories to Send to Device" list. If there's one for each "Send to Devices" list I'm not sure how I'd associate them. Name conventions, maybe?
Alas, I only use one device at the moment, so I haven't seen the capabilities of reading list with multiple devices.

What I would really like to see in Calibre some day is a multiple account setup, as the scenario of multiple users/devices is certainly a common one, but that sounds complicated to me- and I don't even have that much knowledge in computer languages.
Advert
Old 05-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #303
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackr View Post
What I would really like to see in Calibre some day is a multiple account setup, as the scenario of multiple users/devices is certainly a common one, but that sounds complicated to me- and I don't even have that much knowledge in computer languages.
Have you experimented with using multiple calibre libraries? I find it very useful for what I do.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:43 AM   #304
TrulyInnovative
TrulyInnovative began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I'd like to thank you for a fantastic plugin - this makes downloading and organizing fanfics unbelievably fast and convenient!

A slight problem I just encountered today: when downloading fics from fanfiction.net, I don't get the characters and genres to my custom columns like I did before. I could swear this was working just yesterday and I don't think I've changed any settings since then (both "Genre" and "Characters" are assigned to custom columns).
Old 05-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #305
jackr
Connoisseur
jackr has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook STR, Pocket eDGe
I haven't played around with multiple libraries yet, I will give it a try soon*

The thought crossed my mind as well that the 'update only in list' idea would also be nice in a scenario with a list of favorite fanfics. That way favorite stories that have been read and removed from the device can be automatically placed in a send to list when an update rolls along.

In an ideal world, I would like to have all my fics on my nook, but the default library is... lacking, and makes it inconvenient to have a large number on at a time. I looked into alternate libraries a while ago, but none seemed to work nice on the thing.
Advert
Old 05-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #306
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester
Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (wifi only)
Quote:
As promised, I have looked into this.

I'm not very keen to move the GC step to before epub generation. Going after epub gen, GC can include {Current Cover}, so if there's a story specific (or site default) cover image it can be included.

Nor am I terribly keen to add a second pass to insert the cover image after the epub is generated. I think my earlier suggestions are probably the best:
Thanks. I started using the latest update of Kiwidude's Modify Epub plugin, because I'm not too keen on the reconvert method. This way I only have to run Modify epub on new stories. Please check out the thread of the plugin because I had to ask for Kiwidude's help when the stories I downloaded with FFDL gave back an error and could't be properly modified. Kiwidude put a fix into the plugin already, but better safe than sorry.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #307
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrulyInnovative View Post
A slight problem I just encountered today: when downloading fics from fanfiction.net, I don't get the characters and genres to my custom columns like I did before. I could swear this was working just yesterday and I don't think I've changed any settings since then (both "Genre" and "Characters" are assigned to custom columns).
There is a problem here--it looks like ffnet has (again) changed their formatting enough to break the adapter for it. So what's happening right now is that FFDL isn't correctly collecting the character/genre data.

I'll look into it.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #308
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

v1.5.25 posted with fix:

Fix for ffnet genres, characters & status.

As usual, there may be a delay before calibre notices the new version. You can get the latest by going in and telling calibre to install it again.

Jim

Last edited by JimmXinu; 05-29-2012 at 11:43 PM. Reason: correct version number
Old 05-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #309
TrulyInnovative
TrulyInnovative began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
v1.5.24 posted with fix:

Fix for ffnet genres, characters & status.

As usual, there may be a delay before calibre notices the new version. You can get the latest by going in and telling calibre to install it again.

Jim
OK, this seems to work great now. Thank you very much for the quick fix!
Old 05-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #310
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester
Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Thanks. I started using the latest update of Kiwidude's Modify Epub plugin, because I'm not too keen on the reconvert method. This way I only have to run Modify epub on new stories. Please check out the thread of the plugin because I had to ask for Kiwidude's help when the stories I downloaded with FFDL gave back an error and could't be properly modified. Kiwidude put a fix into the plugin already, but better safe than sorry.
Jimm,

after I wrote that reply I realized that the "update epub if newer" option makes the cover I inserted with "modify epub" vanish. Is there a way to make the cover stay in the epub even if I update it?

Last edited by Firedancer885; 05-28-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #311
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
after I wrote that reply I realized that the "update epub if newer" option makes the cover I inserted with "modify epub" vanish. Is there a way to make the cover stay in the epub even if I update it?
Hmmm. So it does. Oops. I'll look into it.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:09 AM   #312
ChrisBradford
ChrisBradford began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire and Keyboard
I frequently get the following error when trying to download stories from FF.Net and FicWad -- 'utf8' codec can't decode byte <random hex number> in position <n>: invalid continuation byte. Is there a workaround for this?
Old 05-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #313
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

@ChrisBradford -- Can you post (or PM me) example URLs for both sites please?
Old 05-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #314
ChrisBradford
ChrisBradford began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire and Keyboard
Quote:
@ChrisBradford -- Can you post (or PM me) example URLs for both sites please?
Here are a couple stories from FF.Net that are broken at the moment.

The Circle Must Be Broken
Ranma Saotome Doesn't Miyah!

I'm having problems replicating it on FicWad at the moment. Perhaps the issue there has been corrected?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #315
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBradford View Post
Here are a couple stories from FF.Net that are broken at the moment.

The Circle Must Be Broken
I got it down without problems
Closed Thread