Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #301
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Yes, I saw it. And it's Watkins, not Watson.

And I will go on record as saying that it appears to be legit. The email pictured indicates that Amazon has allowed him to retain access to the Kindle platform only. I will go even further and state that the full-size image passes a visual test - consistent with gmail formatting and does not appeared to have been edited when viewed at high magnification.

Yes, jrw, I downloaded and inspected the image. Because I trust no one. But I will delete it now.

I'm glad you got your books back.

Now, if we're done with the forensics, I'm gonna go read.
I didn't want to be the first one to say it, for fear of being called gullable, but they looked legit to me too. I say this knowing how trivially easy it is to fake an email OR a screen shot, so I realize it proves nothing, but if they were fakes, they were good fakes, and I can't imagine what he would have to gain for the effort, so my curiosity is indeed piqued a bit.

I hope this thread DOESN'T die yet. I want to see how it ends....

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 02-24-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #302
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I didn't want to be the first one to say it, for fear of being called gullable, but they looked legit to me too. I say this knowing how trivially easy it is to fake an email OR a screen shot, so I realize it proves nothing, but if they were fakes, they were good fakes, and I can't imagine what he would have to gain for the effort, so my curiosity is indeed piqued a bit.

ApK
Yeah, I was hesitant too, but they look real enough for me to put myself out there. Plus the complete lack of redaction is sort of its own indicator.
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #303
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizedale View Post
Can we not just let this thread die a natural death please?
Just unsubscribe and stop reading it .
Old 02-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #304
Gazerwolf
Enthusiast
Gazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheese

Device: 2 K2 Int, K4 SO, K4 Keyboard, Kindle DXG,Voyage(broke screen)PW4
Call me a skeptic..but I don't think the 22nd was 4 days ago like in one of the pictures.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #305
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I didn't see an email dated the 22nd. There was one from the 19th and one from the 21st. Out of curiosity, I checked my own gmail, and I've two emails from the 21st. One says "3 days ago" and other says "4 days ago". It looks as though it's related to the time sent, but gmail does not display the time on the email itself so that info isn't available in the screenshot. You can only see it by hovering over the date. Never noticed that till today.

I also have an email account on a server that consistently delivers emails dated two days into the future.
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #306
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I also have an email account on a server that consistently delivers emails dated two days into the future.
Have you ruled the possibility that you're actually receiving email from two days into the future? Sort of like an eLake House effect?
Old 02-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #307
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Have you ruled the possibility that you're actually receiving email from two days into the future? Sort of like an eLake House effect?
Well, I called someone who sent me one of those emails, and they were aware of the email, so at first I ruled it out. But then I realized... what if I was calling them two days into the future??? Then I decided I didn't want to think that much, so I made a sammich and forgot about it. Until NOW.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #308
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
That's probably for the best. Time math always hurts... sammiches rarely do.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #309
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I never got food poisoning from time travel.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #310
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

No one's ever gotten it from one of my sammiches either.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #311
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No slight on your ability to make sandwiches from fresh ingredients intended.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #312
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post

No slight on your ability to make sandwiches from fresh ingredients intended.
My ingredients are so fresh you'd almost think they were from the future.

That's not a euphemism, but it would make a really good one. Gonna start using that.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #313
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
My ingredients are so fresh you'd almost think they were from the future.

That's not a euphemism, but it would make a really good one. Gonna start using that.

I can so see that as the strap line for a chain of sandwich shops.

'Our ingredients are so fresh you'd think they came from the future".

Perhaps a sci-fi theme in the shop? Servers dressed as Princess Leia or Spock?

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 02-24-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #314
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazerwolf View Post
Call me a skeptic..but I don't think the 22nd was 4 days ago like in one of the pictures.
None of the pics showed an email date of the 22nd. One was the 19th, and two were the 21st. The 21st can be reported as four days ago by Gmail depending on timezone and time sent.

(btw, checking the dates against his message postings was the first thing I did, after a general visual assessment. )

Last edited by ApK; 02-24-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #315
Gazerwolf
Enthusiast
Gazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheese

Device: 2 K2 Int, K4 SO, K4 Keyboard, Kindle DXG,Voyage(broke screen)PW4
I was working from memory as he had already pulled them by the time I posted. I must have remembered wrong.

My apologies for adding to the drama.
Closed Thread