Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 07-15-2020, 09:31 PM   #301
TheGene
TheGene began at the beginning.

Device: desktop
Hi Kovid could you tell me where/how do I change the CALIBRE_USE_DARK_PALETTE variable using Linux Mint 19.3? That bright white is really quite overwhelming after a few hours of working in Calibre ...
TheGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:00 PM   #302
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just google how to set environment variables in mint. And if you are talking about th eviewer specifically you can choose a different color scheme for it in its preferences, no need to set an environment variable at all.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2020, 10:11 PM   #303
TheGene
TheGene began at the beginning.

Device: desktop
Ha that was as simple as opening a terminal and typing

env CALIBRE_USE_DARK_PALETTE=1 calibre

and voila!! Yes definitely much easier on the eyes ...

Thank you for this awesome program.
TheGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:20 PM   #304
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGene View Post
Hi Kovid could you tell me where/how do I change the CALIBRE_USE_DARK_PALETTE variable using Linux Mint 19.3? That bright white is really quite overwhelming after a few hours of working in Calibre ...
1-From the main menu we right-click where Caliber is and set it on the desktop.
2-We create something as a shortcut and in that icon right click of the mouse preferences.
3-In the Order line we write: env CALIBRE_USE_DARK_PALETTE=1 caliber
We double click on this icon and if we have a black theme in the system it will put us in dark mode
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	180651   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	180652   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	180653  

Last edited by dunhill; 07-15-2020 at 10:23 PM.
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:50 PM   #305
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I know basically nothing about CSS etc, but want to change the line spacing used in my Calibre Viewer. I tried copying and pasting one of the templates at the start of this thread
Quote:
body {
color: rgb(255,255,255);
background-color:rgb(0,0,255);
text-align:justify;
line-spacing:1.8;
margin-top:0px;
margin-bottom:4px;
margin-right:50px;
margin-left:50px;
text-indent:2em;
}
h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {
color:white;
text-align:center;
font-style:italic;
font-weight:bold;
}
but applying it makes no difference to the line spacing. I have experimented with different values for 'line-spacing' but so far 1.7, 2.7 and 3.8 all make exactly no difference to how the lines appear on my viewer. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT
The dangers of unquestioning C&P - it was "line-height", not "line-spacing". Lesson learned!

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 11-02-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2020, 03:54 PM   #306
drglenn
drglenn began at the beginning.

Device: none
In the example you posted:

Quote:
You must include a space after the : in the css attributes in order to display properly. When values are entered incorrect as in the above from the css code you posted they are ignored as you are experiencing

For example:

Wrong usage line-spacing: 1.8;

Correct usage line-spacing: 1.8;
drglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:37 AM   #307
Marius1952
Marius1952 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO GLO HD
Proper and universal CSS code for Calibre

When converting from PDF to EPUB the book comes fine except the contents which is spread along the many pages. How can I fix it?
My current code is as below:

body {
color: rgb(0,0,0);
background-color:rgb(255,255,255);
margin-right:50px;
margin-left:50px;
text-indent:2em;
}
h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {
color:white;
text-align:center;
font-style:italic;
font-weight:bold;
}

Under Filter Style Information I have selected all options except Floats and I also added to Other CSS Properties: line-height

can you help me to have a perfect CSS coding so every converted book will come up well? I don't know programming so I rely on brains like you guys but I need common instruction to understand. The best would be copy/paste what is necessary.
thanks
namaste
Mariusz
Marius1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:38 AM   #308
Drongo
Drongo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm trying this with Calibre 4.99.12 - some epub wants to have justified text, urgh - and it's doing the line-height attribute (there just as a test to see what's happening) but not the text-align:

body, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {
text-align: left;
line-height: 200%;
}

Any ideas?
Drongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:00 PM   #309
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice

FYI: I merged two threads with similar names and purpose.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:24 AM   #310
Edemen
Enthusiast
Edemen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara BW, PW5, Pocketbook HD3
I am using the Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro. The native reading program does not allow widows and orphans. So the number of lines on a page is not always equal which annoys me
What CSS used in Caliber will make widows and orphans appear?
Edemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:07 PM   #311
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edemen View Post
I am using the Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro. The native reading program does not allow widows and orphans. So the number of lines on a page is not always equal which annoys me
What CSS used in Caliber will make widows and orphans appear?
This is not a issue of calibre viewer but anyway You can change the css in the calibre editor like this:

Code:
p{
widows: 1 !important;
orphans: 1 !important;
}
using !important You can overwrite eventual different widows/orphans values in the various p.something tag.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:01 AM   #312
Edemen
Enthusiast
Edemen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara BW, PW5, Pocketbook HD3
It works! Thank you.
Edemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:49 AM   #313
CrazyBlend
CrazyBlend began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Left justification not working in Calibre

I have the latest version of Calibre (I think), 5.14. Whenever I open an epub file in the e-book viewer, I want the text to be left-justified rather than the default fully-justified.

I don't know anything about css styles, but, after browsing this thread, I entered the following text into the Preferences -> Styles text box, and clicked OK:

body { text-align: left; }

However, unfortunately, that had no effect. All my epub books are still displaying fully justified.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help.
CrazyBlend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:52 PM   #314
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Code:
* { text-align: left !important }
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:06 PM   #315
CrazyBlend
CrazyBlend began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Thanks for the quick response! However, unfortunately, that still didn't work. I tried the version you sent:
body { text-align: left !important }
I also tried it with a semicolon:
body { text-align: left !important; }
Neither had any effect.
CrazyBlend is offline   Reply With Quote