Notices

Old 01-01-2018, 10:50 PM   #286
KindleMeAndrey
Enthusiast
KindleMeAndrey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Actually, not such a bummer for me. I would have been very tempted to get one as soon as it came out. However, the delayed launch will allow me to see if any of Onyx's competitors have anything worthy in the works. It will also allow me to see just how well the Max2 is functioning since it will be using essentially the same hardware and software.
Actually, patience testing aside—that's spot on. Sony and e-Ink are teaming up to do some tablets and laptops and supposedly they've been busy this last year, so we'll see what new e-Inky awesomeness shows itself at CES 2018.
KindleMeAndrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:32 AM   #287
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
It will also allow me to see just how well the Max2 is functioning since it will be using essentially the same hardware and software.
Actually, I do not believe that the shipment firmware will be fully optimized. Already the rumours about the battery leaving more to be desired suggest that subsequent firmwares will attempt optimizations (and that the more tweak-oriented will come out with tricks). I am of course fully in the direction of getting what is available immediately and wait a bit for any improvement. But in this light, the expression «will be using essentially the same [hardware and] software» has a trembling "essentially".

Edit: six hours to go.

Edit 2: Got it here, shiny and beautiful ; )
I confirm: this is their first "Android 6" firmware... Already I see the absence of the standard Settings icon. Must be a mistake.

Last edited by mdp; 01-02-2018 at 11:22 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2018, 07:56 AM   #288
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
UPS delivered my Onyx Max 2 this morning... I'm still learning the interface and so on, and I haven't tried using it as a monitor yet, but so far it seems very responsive and reasonably intuitive. The screen is a little bit darker than I expected, but it's still very comfortable to read full-page PDFs.

What I'm not sure about is the document management. I transfered a lot of documents to the device using the USB connection, and placed them into folders (some are work-related, some are not; I want to keep them organized separately). When browsing the "storage", the folders are shown, but when looking at the main page, they're all mixed together and that's not very practical (there are about a hundred one-page documents - not very easy to find the book I want to read among them). Does the main page offer a way to navigate folders?
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:29 AM   #289
nish2011
nish2011 began at the beginning.

Device: max 2
I just got mine too, it is my first e reader but it seems to be working quite fast, I feel that the screen might be slightly off centered so I was wondering if it is the same for everyone else, here is the full size images?

Edit
--------------------------------------------------------------
It looks like it just shadow, thanks @mdp for pointing this out.

Last edited by nish2011; 01-02-2018 at 04:56 PM.
nish2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #290
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In the next few days I'll demonstrate a neural network on this baby, I swear to G
: D
Advert
Old 01-02-2018, 11:02 AM   #291
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
In the next few days I'll demonstrate a neural network on this baby, I swear to G
: D
I expect 100 layers at least 10mln trainable parameters

I assume that your unit arrived?
SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:22 AM   #292
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
I see an "overlapping windows" icon between "arrows switch", "mode switch" and the menu icon: could it be the "recent tasks"?
Quote:
in the new interface it is visible:
clock | arrows switch | EPD mode switch | MYSTERY | menu
Is that "mystery", guessing from the icon, the "Recent tasks"?
Yes it was. There is an icon for the "Recent tasks" near the clock. This was of interest to some.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	recent_apps_switcher.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	161171  
Old 01-02-2018, 11:56 AM   #293
mdp
Wizard

Video confirmed at 6fps and, it runs well. 4fps was already usable on the MaxCarta, 6fps is better. Sample attached (I removed the audio because I would have had to equalize it, but it would take time).

When/why? When you need.

The forum does not allow me to upload .mp4 ... so I renamed it as .zip . It is not a zip! Just remove that last extension:
Max2_VLC_EmTech.mp4.zip → Max2_VLC_EmTech.mp4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Max2_Video_Screenshot_Winston.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	161174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Max2_Video_Screenshot_Ng.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	161175  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Max2_VLC_EmTech.mp4.zip (1.38 MB, 241 views)

Last edited by mdp; 01-02-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:12 PM   #294
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Quote:
Video confirmed at 6fps and, it runs well. 4fps was already usable on the MaxCarta, 6fps is better.
Only 6 fps? I know it's an e-ink screen, but it's also a quad-core processor and older ereaders sported almost equal performance showing animations
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:18 PM   #295
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
but it's also a quad-core processor
And? The limit is in the screen.

Quote:
older ereaders sported almost equal performance showing animations
"Almost equal"? The last experienced I counted as 4fps.

Going towards perceptual effect: have you checked the video I posted?

EDIT: No, really: there's an opportunity there, which is an extra, and the reaction is "I expected color"?
Old 01-02-2018, 01:22 PM   #296
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And? The limit is in the screen.

"Almost equal"? The last experienced I counted as 4fps.

Going towards perceptual effect: have you checked the video I posted?
Yes, I checked the video.

Excuse me, I didn't examine thoroughly all past performaces, but many people were astonished what an old Nook could do.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:56 PM   #297
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Excuse me, I didn't examine thoroughly all past performaces, but many people were astonished what an old Nook could do.
And I checked some Nook, in the only two videos I could find.
Given that video could not be "normally played" (open a video player software and pick your file), but some tricks could be shown (play an animated GIF): in A2 mode, eminently I see the absence of dithering. Looks fast, I am not measuring, but that is of course not the huge physical screen of the Max's. It's a different thing.
The other video does not show A2, and "normal mode" is deceptive and anyway not really usable for video. And anyway, it's another video of "could work but". For the rest, I have no idea.

Back to the matter: video works, and works well, for the people who needs that. As a player, I use VLC.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:21 PM   #298
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
What about lagginess/delay? Is it really as in video from notebook italia where max 2 was shown for the first time?

What about programming/writing experience?

Is there an option to switch to A2 mode?

Last edited by SnowRipple; 01-02-2018 at 02:24 PM.
SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:46 PM   #299
viceant
Addict

Quote:
And I checked some Nook, in the only two videos I could find.
Given that video could not be "normally played" (open a video player software and pick your file), but some tricks could be shown (play an animated GIF): in A2 mode, eminently I see the absence of dithering. Looks fast, I am not measuring, but that is of course not the huge physical screen of the Max's. It's a different thing.
The other video does not show A2, and "normal mode" is deceptive and anyway not really usable for video. And anyway, it's another video of "could work but". For the rest, I have no idea.

Back to the matter: video works, and works well, for the people who needs that. As a player, I use VLC.
All right, I have seen again old nook videos and definitely it's not the same . Our memory is not reliable.

All in all, what I hoped was it allow an acceptable web browsing experience.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #300
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
All in all, what I hoped was it allow an acceptable web browsing experience.
Acceptable web browsing experience, you say?

Look, I installed Lightning (acr.browser.barebones) and conected the baby; his pOst is wditen on the Max2. Spelling erors are from Hacker's keyboard. It is all in all more comfortable than when I post from my Samsung Note (honestly because of the real estate - 'course he Note is fast).

Browsing is whoom fast. Whoooom fast.

(typing, I need a suitable keyboard. EDIT: no, Hacker's keyboard works well, I just have issues if i type wih boh hands)

Last edited by mdp; 01-02-2018 at 04:07 PM.