Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #286
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Have not yet decided on that. It will likely require a factory reset to get the 'fixed' version since a large majority of customers are not seeing problems (in a 2.0.1 scenario, they would get upgraded as well).

Feel free to share your preference and we will take it into consideration.
I wasn't seeing any problems until I logged out of my account and then back in on my touch (that's what I get for experimenting with things ). That's when I lost all my awards, reading stats went funny, and books I had finished reading were showing as unread or 1% read. I may do a factory reset and then wait for the fix. Until this I was very happy with the new firmware. I guess it was just my time for something to go wrong. I've never had a problem with any of the other updates. As it is either the factory reset or 2.0.1 scenario works for me. I'm easy to get along with.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #287
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
I wasn't seeing any problems until I logged out of my account and then back in on my touch (that's what I get for experimenting with things ). That's when I lost all my awards, reading stats went funny, and books I had finished reading were showing as unread or 1% read. I may do a factory reset and then wait for the fix. Until this I was very happy with the new firmware. I guess it was just my time for something to go wrong. I've never had a problem with any of the other updates. As it is either the factory reset or 2.0.1 scenario works for me. I'm easy to get along with.

Yeah I upgraded from, 1.9.17 and lost all my shortlist, reading % and bookmarks.
I assumed that was normal..
Maybe it wasn't.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #288
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Just out of curiosity, any idea when we'll be seeing this fixed version Sameer?
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #289
pilothaz
pilothaz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
I had this a couple of weeks ago. I tried doign a factory reset and it didn't help. Once my touch connected, it would kick my computer off. Turned out to be the router; my ISP pushed down a firmware update and I think it messed things up.
It has nothing to do with my router.. It works fine with everything else in my house and I am pretty technical on how i setup the thing up. What I could do in the meantime is make sure the MAC address of the kobo will always pull in the same IP with the reservation tables.

But if it is having trouble sitting there connecting and showing a network error, that seems to be a different story.
pilothaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #290
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
My impressions so far

good:
- cleaner home screen layout
- advanced font options (but the useless small preview is awkward)
- top margins
- more responsive in library views
- shelves

not so nice:
- somewhat slower page turns (epub)
- page turn taps are sometimes not recognized (not a big issue, but the previous version worked better in this regard)
- 'Discover' tab on the home screen too intrusive (got to mention that I'm using the device strictly off-line and I'm not interested in accessing the kobo store or 'social reading' features. But I doubt that the discovery feature is so important as to deserve such a prominent space on the home screen. I for one would prefer to see a shelves tab at this place)
- adding books to shelves only possible from the shelve menu (should also be possible from the context menu per book in library views)
- standard dictionary selection should be made an option (it's awkward having to always look at the french translation first before you can switch another dictionary ... you may even consider this a bug ...)
- clock disappeared from reading context menu

bugs:
- shelves not working after update (signing out of the account fixed this though)
- cover display bug: read book A --> switch to book B --> put device to sleep --> cover for book A is displayed (as soon as you turn a page in book B the correct cover will be displayed)
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #291
hooplehead
hooplehead began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Feel free to share your preference and we will take it into consideration.
I'm glad to see you're actively addressing the upgrade issues.
Nevertheless, I'll wait with updating until the slow page turns of epubs is solved. I imagine that as extremely annoying, as 1.19.17 feels slow enough already. I can see me already, wondering if that was a dead tap or just page turn molasses...

I hope I don't have to wait 3 months for a 2.0.x that fixes this.

Again, quick page turns are essential. I spend 99.9% reading on my Kobo. I can live with anything else you throw at me, changed carousels, home pages, short lists...

Thanks!
hooplehead
hooplehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #292
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Phew !

Only just seen this thread, looks like I missed a potential whole lot of hassle....
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #293
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook,Kobo Clara HD,Kobo Libra 2
After getting 2.0 I did a factory reset in order to get back to 1.9.14 but manual update of that rom is no longer working. Which I did plenty of times before 2.0.

It simply boots back to 1.9 after I disconnect the cable.

EDIT: Please Ignore, all is good after the third factory reset.

Last edited by Atilla; 07-13-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #294
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Agh! I haven't upgraded yet. I've been so excited about 2.0 since it came out... I'm so happy Kobo put the home screen back to uncluttered! And I'm excited about the dictionary pop up too, and about the top margin issue being fixed.

But I've had to wait until the weekend to upgrade -- and now it's *finally* weekend and 2.0 is gone! Gasp. I'll just sit here and refresh the page every two seconds hoping for a message confirming 2.0 is back.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #295
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
I popped in to see if there was a new firmware upgrade before I synced my KT - to update my Reading Life stats. Honestly, when I saw there was a 2.0 upgrade, my first thought was "Cr*p!". As my husband, a software developer, always says "Do NOT be on the bleeding edge of software!", I thought I would read all *20* pages of this thread.

I'm trying to figure out the difference between .17, which I have, and the changes in 2.0, which I don't really want.

I thought there already was a French Dictionary, or am I thinking of the translation dictionary?

Are the shelves similar to the ones in Ibooks? I don't really need shelves, I like to browse my library for things I forgot I added, and go "Oh! Hey! Yeah, I wanted to read that!"

Is it possible to see screenshots of the main screen? I don't quite understand what it now looks like if the shortlist bar is gone.

The font issue really bugs me, where sideloaded fonts are no longer rendered properly. I swiped "Calligrapher" off my husband's work laptop, it's a beautiful font but would be unreadable if it went much lighter.

I have no Kpubs other than the few free ones I got from Kobo, and all my reading books are sideloaded on a microsd card. It seems, from what I read here, that the "enhancements" are only working on kpubs and preloaded fonts, so no real incentive to upgrade.

I'm concerned over the bricking of KTs, as mine was bought last September and coming to the end of it's warranty life. I would hate to try and swap it for a new one based on firmware issues.

A last question: if I just wanted to sync my Reading Stats, and I have firmware .17, would I be able to just do that without upgrading it to 2.0 as it's been removed from the server, or will it try and update what I've got?

My firmware wish is for it to give me a choice of updating or not when I sync.

Thanks so much for reading my ramblings.
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #296
yhamm
Zealot
yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h20
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post

Is it possible to see screenshots of the main screen? I don't quite understand what it now looks like if the shortlist bar is gone.
Try this link for a screenshot of the main screen:

http://blog.kobobooks.com/new-and-im...op-experience/
yhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #297
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhamm View Post
Try this link for a screenshot of the main screen:

http://blog.kobobooks.com/new-and-im...op-experience/
Quote:
The first is thanks to your feedback! We’ve added a Wishlist function to help keep track of all the books you love – we know you’ll be thrilled with this new feature.

The second is that we’ve redesigned the home screen on your Kobo Touch moving the Recommended Reads section to the Discover tab to help you manage your eReading experience.
Not from my feedback you haven't. I'm far from thrilled. And Recommended Reads help me manage my reading experience? Yup, that's much more useful than the Shortlist, or a couple of selected Shelves, or a saved Search tab. Pure marketroid BS, and not even convincing BS.

So, 5 "tabs" off the homescreen and, unless I'm misinterpreting, three of them are to sell books? "Discover", "Find books", "Wishlist"? Was no one listening to the fuss about "Recommended" in the last couple of upgrades? And no Shortlist or clock, but I do appear to have an icon that will tell me I'm in airplane mode all the time. At least Search appears to be immediately accessible, though it would be useful if one of those useless marketing tabs could hold a saved search list.

Can we have a Yes/No choice of which tabs we want to see? Including Shortlist, maybe a couple of Shelves. Those who want instant access to advertising can choose it, those who want a device that helps them organize their library and read it can choose alternatives. I do know that if I get advertising/merchandising in my face every time I power up my annoyance level goes up incrementally, and the chance of a sale goes down incrementally.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #298
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
Not from my feedback you haven't. I'm far from thrilled. And Recommended Reads help me manage my reading experience? Yup, that's much more useful than the Shortlist, or a couple of selected Shelves, or a saved Search tab. Pure marketroid BS, and not even convincing BS.

So, 5 "tabs" off the homescreen and, unless I'm misinterpreting, three of them are to sell books? "Discover", "Find books", "Wishlist"? Was no one listening to the fuss about "Recommended" in the last couple of upgrades? And no Shortlist or clock, but I do appear to have an icon that will tell me I'm in airplane mode all the time. At least Search appears to be immediately accessible, though it would be useful if one of those useless marketing tabs could hold a saved search list.

Can we have a Yes/No choice of which tabs we want to see? Including Shortlist, maybe a couple of Shelves. Those who want instant access to advertising can choose it, those who want a device that helps them organize their library and read it can choose alternatives. I do know that if I get advertising/merchandising in my face every time I power up my annoyance level goes up incrementally, and the chance of a sale goes down incrementally.
My 2c.

It's really hard to immagine a home screen that will a) please everyone, and b) be acceptable to the fact that Kobo's primary missoin is to sell content. However, I think the best thing kobo can do to the interface is leave it the *expletive* alone. Not because I don't have my own ideas for improvement, but the last thing the non-technical users (who are probably Kobo's primary target audience) want or need is an interface that is contantly changing with forced updated. Ugh!
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #299
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
a bit off topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
My 2c.

It's really hard to immagine a home screen that will a) please everyone, and b) be acceptable to the fact that Kobo's primary missoin is to sell content. However, I think the best thing kobo can do to the interface is leave it the *expletive* alone. Not because I don't have my own ideas for improvement, but the last thing the non-technical users (who are probably Kobo's primary target audience) want or need is an interface that is contantly changing with forced updated. Ugh!
/begin rant

Putting more crap (advertising) on the Kobo just pisses me off. I buy books that I like, when I like to, when I can afford it. I don't need reminders that there are books I can buy, that's why Kobo has my frikken email address that they email me almost every other day with new recommended books to buy, I also get recommended reads when I visit their website, I ALSO get recommended reads when I run the Kobo desktop software... WTH would I want even MORE advertising on my Kobo... my frikken Kobo is for my READING PLEASURE.

If they want to sell me more books, offer more/better discounts, offer me books I am interested in, I love Sci-Fi, not Fiction, not non-fiction and sure as hell not romance, or worse yet Romance Erotica. Yet, I still get offers of these books and rarely do I get offers on Sci-fi. Although I haven't yet given up trying to train them as to what I like. Despite all the in-your-face advertising of recommended books for me... I still have to search for books I would like to read and most of the books I have in my Previews list are still in there, even though I want to buy them, because I don't feel like being ripped off by the publishers who insist that an epub book is worth the same or more than the blocks of wood they are still trying to push on us.

/end rant... going for dinner with the wife... mmmm curry....
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #300
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
VirgoGirl
Early today Jul13 2012 Kobo announced they have stopped updates to 2.0 until they solved the problems people are having. Until then no forced updates when you sync your Kobo Touch with Kobo desktop or directly over KT reader's wifi.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote