Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-21-2012, 06:49 AM   #286
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
I stopped to post photo because it seems I have better light conditions. I think that's all with the ideas and opinions about this eReader. I (even with Lorenzo) have just spoken almost everything about the screen technology (color, readability with proper illumination etc) and firmware (what you can do and not) using my experience with LCD/LED and previous eink technology. I have my conclusion based on my experience and, for example Valentinka has hers.
But if we can do a summary I can say the crucial question is: did you like using Triton 9.7 screen in your environment?
  • Yes - (I have counted 8 users that actualy has an JBC) some love Triton rendering, some other considers it acceptable
  • No - (I counted 3 users that had a real JBC no occasional experinence)

When the answer is "No" user must get rid of JBC and will never buy another triton-based eReader (with the present technology).

When the answer is "Yes" user has got a bingo! It's true the firmware is not fully mature, but the potential are impressive! This is a fact not an opinion. The risk is if Ectaco will dismiss the JBC firmware before it can reach the full maturity and Ectaco won't release an open-SDK, JBC users would have only an half workable fantastic piece of hardware.

Edit: 8+3=11 users don't make a believable statistic, I'm sorry if my post seems say the opposite

Last edited by mod186k1; 03-21-2012 at 06:56 AM.
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #287
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
@PF4Mobile (and only to PF4Mobile):

I think most people don't come back because of trolling.
A user has a complaint,the complaint or a negative point to address, and after that other users have to repeat 20 times the same complaint again, eventhough it is addressed already.
For that reason none of the supporters of the JBC even take the time to read all the posts anymore in this thread!
It's just one big troll,and in my opinion should be removed from the forum, along with many trolling users on this thread.

I've never seen such an irrational thread in the whole of Mobile read for all the years I've been on this site! It's laughable, and should be posted in 'utterably silly' in the lounge instead of in the jetbook forum.

I mentioned before, the day a honest problem has been addressed, not hidden in a post mainly of complaints (so I won't need to pick the single sentence out of a hundred worthless negative comments that most of them aren't even true), that day I'll reply on the post.
But for what it's worth, my opinions are shared by a multitude of forum members; and one of the reasons WHY no one bothers visiting this thread anymore!

I just come hoping there would be some honest users amongst the trollers who have an honest question, one like yourself (I hope), to address those.
I have read your posts and presume you're not here to fuel the fire of trolling that someone ignited on this thread a while ago; but are honestly surprised about the negative comments posted in this thread.

Well,for you and all others,this thread is a joke! Laughable in it's content, and a troll. Don't worry! The Jetbook Color is a great device,and a great purchase! The people buying them have good experience with it; it's not a perfect device, and there will always be some who aren't happy with the device, but the overall idea is that it provides over 85% of what you expect of the device, and more soon when the next update will be here!
Focus on the question please not on what you would like the thread to be
Please address and dismount this issue. This user paid 500$ for this.

Edit: Just observation - right before taking pictures. I opened the pag 4 of this PDF file within seconds on DXG and iPad 2. It took at least 5 min to do it on JBC. Last time I used JBC less that 2 days ago (when I took bedroom pictures). The page 3 was displayed on JBC all this time. Tryed to move to page 4 (with button) or JBC's pen - nothing happened. Did it several times - nothing happend. Went to upper menue. Opened the document again. Still page 3. No succes moving to page 4. Went back up 2 levels (Book list - my Library). than back to the document. Still on page 3. No success turning to pafe 4 again. Turned of the power completely. Waited few seconds. Turned the power on. Liibrary - Book list - Pdf document. Turned page from page 3. No success. Pushed turning page button few times. Than it suddenly jumped right to page 6 or so. Went back to page 4 that I needed. All these manipilations were for the simple task (just move from page 3 (opened less than 2 days ago) to page 4. It took at least 5 min on JBC. It took no more than 3 sec on DXG and iPad 2 to get to the page 4 of this PDF.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #288
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It took at least 5 min to do it on JBC.
It's a real time calculation? It's very far from my experience. Maybe I have a suspect. can you post a video?

Edit: Just to be sure, can what is the PDF exactly? there are posted many. If there is some trouble I'll send an email to @support soon.

Last edited by mod186k1; 03-21-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #289
Valentinka
Zealot
Valentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-T1, M92, iPad 3, ex-JetBook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by mod186k1 View Post

Just to be sure, can what is the PDF exactly? there are posted many. If there is some trouble I'll send an email to @support soon.
This is the PDF file that lorenzoens sumitted for test. I used this file for my last 2 sets of pictures. Page 3 of this file - with the bedroom light (post # 243), page 4 - less than 2 days after that - outdoor after the rain (post # 278)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Expert Color Choices.pdf (316.7 KB, 219 views)
Valentinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #290
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Focus on the question please not on what you would like the thread to be
Please address and dismount this issue. This user paid 500$ for this.
I adressed this part of your post correctly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile
"I really don't understand one thing here.
None of the happy supporters of JBC seems to be interested in clarifying these horror stories you are posting here. I am talking here about the very supporters who are saying that this thread is polluted with negativity and it is recycling the same ideas. "
I told you WHY they are no longer posting here.

As about to address why the device costs $500, well, it costs $500; no need to address it any further! If you're not willing to pay that amount,then don't. however there are plenty who can, and will pay that amount!

Quote:
Edit: Just observation - right before taking pictures. I opened the pag 4 of this PDF file within seconds on DXG and iPad 2. It took at least 5 min to do it on JBC. Last time I used JBC less that 2 days ago (when I took bedroom pictures). The page 3 was displayed on JBC all this time. Tryed to move to page 4 (with button) or JBC's pen - nothing happened. Did it several times - nothing happend. Went to upper menue. Opened the document again. Still page 3. No succes moving to page 4. Went back up 2 levels (Book list - my Library). than back to the document. Still on page 3. No success turning to pafe 4 again. Turned of the power completely. Waited few seconds. Turned the power on. Liibrary - Book list - Pdf document. Turned page from page 3. No success. Pushed turning page button few times. Than it suddenly jumped right to page 6 or so. Went back to page 4 that I needed. All these manipilations were for the simple task (just move from page 3 (opened less than 2 days ago) to page 4. It took at least 5 min on JBC. It took no more than 3 sec on DXG and iPad 2 to get to the page 4 of this PDF.
I yet have to find a PDF that loads longer than 15 seconds first booting time!
And I'm talking about a photoshop PDF book,with high resolution JPEGS in that get shrunk to fit the screen!
For regular (mostly text) pdf books the load time is below 10 seconds, with page flips of around 5 seconds,; and if the book has been opened before, it loads even faster.
JBC also let know that page flipping of text books will go faster with next update as one of the F/W upgrades.

However, one thing that might be helpful is that as soon as you see the blue led go out, the device enters into standby mode. This is normally set to 10-15 seconds, a bug that will most surely get adressed; that's why some ebooks never load. As soon as the blue led goes out, try pressing a button, or bring the pen in the proximity of the screen (within 1cm from the screen).
This will activate the device, and you'll see the book will continue to load.

Last edited by ProDigit; 03-21-2012 at 09:47 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #291
mod186k1
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinka View Post
This is the PDF file that lorenzoens sumitted for test. I used this file for my last 2 sets of pictures. Page 3 of this file - with the bedroom light (post # 243), page 4 - less than 2 days after that - outdoor after the rain (post # 278)
Thank you Valentinka but I doubt it is the file which P4Mobile spoken of, because I tried this yesterday and I didn't noticed nothing of 5 min. in loading it on my JBC. Maybe is another file.

Edit: Valentinka, Even your JBC unit take 5 minutes to open it?
Old 03-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #292
Valentinka
Zealot
Valentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
When the answer is "No" user must get rid of JBC and will never buy another triton-based eReader (with the present technology).
That's exactly what I am trying to do for almost 2 weeks - GET RID OF JBC.

No success so far. NOBODY wants it including Ectaco.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #293
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Thank you Valentinka but I doubt it is the file which P4Mobile spoken of, because I tried this yesterday and I didn't noticed nothing of 5 min. in loading it on my JBC. Maybe is another file.

this is incorrect
She wrote here about that page that takes 5 min to load and quoted her.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #294
Valentinka
Zealot

Quote:

That's what I experienced yesterday when I decided to take the pictures outdoor. I got very frustrated while trying to go to page 4 of this PDF file after JBC has been in standby mode for about 40 hours. I described earlier what exactly I did before I finally got to page 4 (post # 278). You can repeat all this actions and check yourself how much time it will take you.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #295
mod186k1
Addict

Ok, I will investigate to find out what the problem is and send an email to Ectaco. Thank you

Edit: Anyway I remember yesterday I open that file on my JBC and truning page after page I went to page 4 because I would see how that tint of color with my illumination. I didn't remember problem you claims. I will do some other deep test and I will try to reproduce your problem so I can do a more accurate report.

Last edited by mod186k1; 03-21-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #296
mod186k1
Addict

Ok,
I open the PDF file: 5sec.
I click on next button: 2sec.
I click on next button again: 2sec.
I click on next button again: 1sec.
** I am now on page number 4 **
Click Back button to exit from book: 2 sec.
I shut down the JBC using power interrupter: 11 sec.

Now I power on the unit: 35 sec.
I go in My Library-> ... -> file PDF
I open the file again: 5 sec.
*** The unit show me the page number 4 ***
Click on "<" and I get the page number 3: 2sec
Click on ">" and I get the page number 4: 2sec

I'm frustrated I can't reproduce the problem

Andyh2000, ProDigit, and others, could you try, please?

Edit: Valentinka I have a suspect: maybe you have the old Firmware?
Edit2: to check firmware version you can go: Settings-> Device Info: read under "Firmware Version"

Last edited by mod186k1; 03-21-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #297
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
its very understandable what happened with valentinka. its even been seen in the videos from "goodreader" that were posted recently.

she clicked the display/device and for whatever(sleep mode maybe or just about to when the click happened) reason the device stuck for a moment. when it did she clicked again and again. these added clicks add to the issue and so then it takes some time for it to work out what ever caused the original issue and then go through the waiting clicks.

the guys in the video were trying to page around a D&D Monster Manual type book when the device stuck for a moment. then they clicked and clicked and click again. "suddenly" the device jumps 6 pages and they dont understand what happened.(because they are incompetent)

this happens with all sorts of devices from time to time. its not a big deal. people become impatient when something doesnt happen instantly and then they add to the problem by clicking again and again etc etc. like when something doesn't print the first time people try again and again and they then end up with 20 things in the print queue.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 03-21-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #298
Valentinka
Zealot

Quote:
Edit: Valentinka I have a suspect: maybe you have the old Firmware?
Edit2: to check firmware version you can go: Settings-> Device Info: read under "Firmware Version"
OK. Firmware Version:

Platform revision: 43.35.509
r1128 Spanish 1128
Old 03-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #299
mod186k1
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinka View Post
Platform revision: 43.35.509
r1128 Spanish 1128
The firmware seems to be the newest. It's strange, if I can't reproduce the problem the support will close the bug classifying it as false-positive.

If you noticed some other could you please notify me in PM?

I for example have found a problem on scribbling and I posted a video to support but I can also reproduce the bug
Old 03-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #300
Valentinka
Zealot

Quote:
The firmware seems to be the newest. It's strange, if I can't reproduce the problem the support will close the bug classifying it as false-positive.

If you noticed some other could you please notify me in PM?
I'll be glad to. Thanks!