Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #286
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yeah improper use of tables is the most frequent culprit. Try just removing the table tags by hand.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:09 AM   #287
gandor62
Connoisseur
gandor62 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Ipad, Kindle 2
oops wrong topic.----- moved

Last edited by gandor62; 11-29-2008 at 05:13 AM.
gandor62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2008, 05:39 PM   #288
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Just found this validation tools for epub format. They look quite useful

http://code.google.com/p/epubcheck/downloads/list
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:33 PM   #289
daviddem
Connoisseur
daviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Pardon me if the question is stupid, but when I do any2epub on my Mobipocket books, I always get messages similar to:
CSSStyleDeclaration: Unexpected token, ignoring upto u';'. [2:35: ;]

The conversion seems to complete successfully though. Is this normal?
daviddem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:49 PM   #290
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's just a warning about invalid CSS. It can be ignored safely.
Advert
Old 12-23-2008, 12:25 PM   #291
keisi
Member Retired
keisi began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
I am new to calibre and I love it, great job!.

But I have one problem I have several books in xhtml format, a single file, I would like to convert them to epub. In the GUI it will not recognise the xhtml file to convert from, and in the terminal using any2epub or html2epub it does not autodetect the chapters. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to convert these files then.
keisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:18 PM   #292
xzm
xzm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
html2epub handles <font size="+1"> and <font size="-1"> incorrectly, the texts appear too small. I found that the generated css are font-size: 33% and font-size: -33% respectively, I presume they should be font-size: 133% and font-size: 67%.
xzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:19 PM   #293
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

will be fixed in next release
Old 12-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #294
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
I think I got it now, Kovid, thanks not least to you and your excellent software.

I read that Xpath tutorial and a fine epub tutorial finally and now pagebreaks and TOC work fine in Epub. I'm just a bit experimenting with those fatal ADE pagenumbers, but 20 pixels seem to be about right.

Comments on those files would be appreciated.

Big thanks!

PS: My Ipod Touch says thank you, too!

BTW: Your viewer works WAY better than ADE (especially with those justification problems)! Just got an empty right margin now.

Last edited by mtravellerh; 12-30-2008 at 04:22 PM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:13 PM   #295
moggie
Enthusiast
moggie is on a distinguished road

Device: sony 505
Trying to track down an error in a reciepe

I have an html snippet.

Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<body>
<div class="navbar" style="text-align:center;">
testing</div>
</body>
</html>

html2epub feed_0/article_0/index.html 
Building file list...
	Parsing feed_0/article_0/index.html
CSSStyleDeclaration: Unexpected token, ignoring upto u';'. [1:37: ;]
		Rationalizing fonts...
	Splitting index.html (0 KB)
	Splitting on page breaks...
	Looking for large trees...
	No large trees found
	Checking files for bad links...
Output written to /Users/jb23/tmp/quill/code/index.epub
I have a much larger file which is failing miserably and I am wondering if the first error is the issue.
Code:
[INFO] 	Parsing feed_0/article_0/index.html
[ERROR] CSSStyleDeclaration: Unexpected token, ignoring upto u';'. [4:56: ;]
[ERROR] CSSStyleDeclaration: Unexpected token, ignoring upto u';'. [5:37: ;]
[INFO] 		Rationalizing fonts...
[WARNING] Failed to rationalize font sizes.
[ERROR] 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre/ebooks/epub/fonts.pyo", line 217, in rationalize
  File "calibre/ebooks/epub/fonts.pyo", line 190, in compute_font_sizes
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for *=: 'NoneType' and 'float'
[DEBUG] 		Done rationalizing
[DEBUG] Saving stylesheets...
[INFO] 	Splitting calibre_title_page.html (0 KB)
[INFO] 	Splitting on page breaks...
[INFO] 	Looking for large trees...
moggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:25 PM   #296
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If you mean is

Code:
CSSStyleDeclaration: Unexpected token, ignoring upto u';'. [1:37: ;]
the cause of the error, then the answer is no. That is just a warning. The error is caused by a logic error in the font rescaling code. I'd appreciate a test case (the larger file + any css stylesheets it links to would be fine).
Old 01-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #297
Coolmicro
Groupie
Coolmicro will become famous soon enoughCoolmicro will become famous soon enoughCoolmicro will become famous soon enoughCoolmicro will become famous soon enoughCoolmicro will become famous soon enoughCoolmicro will become famous soon enough

Device: Tablette android SmartQ T7 - Nook Touch - Pocketbook 602
Hello,

I am the coordinator of the group "Ebooks libres et gratuits" - http://www.ebooksgratuits.com. My English is very bad. I made tests with Calibre for conversion epub of our ebooks; I speak about it here, in french: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37368

The result of a ebook makes with Calibre: http://www.ebooksgratuits.com/temp/e...tees_html.epub

I used a file HTML, obtained starting from a Word file and improved (a few) with a text editor. The result is rather good, Calibre is a good software. But there are some small problems which could be perhaps corrected:

* In French, one needs a nonbreaking space before: ; : ? !
These nonbreaking spaces are present in my file HTML ( &nbsp; ) but disappear in the file epub, and in the files XHTM which are in Content.
For the books, it is a true problem if these nonbreaking spaces miss.

* For the detection of the chapters, it would be necessary that there are 3 levels, and not two (level 1 TOC, level 2 TOC and level 3 TOC), for 1 - parts 2 - chapters 3 - sections
Coolmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #298
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Can you post a simple test HTML file showing the problem with non-breaking spaces (calibre should be preserving non-breaking spaces).

Adding another TOC level is certainly possible. Open a ticket about it and I will get around to it, when I get some time.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:19 AM   #299
Coolmicro
Groupie
Coolmicro will become famous soon enoughCoolmicro will become famous soon enoughCoolmicro will become famous soon enoughCoolmicro will become famous soon enoughCoolmicro will become famous soon enoughCoolmicro will become famous soon enough

Yes:
The HTML:
http://www.ebooksgratuits.com/temp/e...tees_epub.html
The EPUB :
http://www.ebooksgratuits.com/temp/e...tees_html.epub

The problem is also described in French, here - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37413 -, by another user.

But it's the same with odt ==> epub, with all texts... (All our texts without exception, with format ODT, comprise the nonbreaking spaces) I checked it on 10 tests.

I saw that the Epubcheck was bad enough for the HTML ==> epub. With ODT ==> EPUB, it is much better for our books; there are only two errors usually:

ERROR: /media/hd2/Mes documents/My eBooks/ePub/loti_les_desenchantees.epub/metadata.opf(6): attribute "files-as" from namespace "http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" not allowed at this point; ignored
ERROR: /media/hd2/Mes documents/My eBooks/ePub/loti_les_desenchantees.epub/metadata.opf(11): unknown element "series_index" from namespace "http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf"

But, when we use 2 levels of chapters (h1 and H2), we obtain these errors:

ERROR: /media/hd2/Mes documents/My eBooks/ePub/loti_les_desenchantees.epub/toc.ncx(23): assertion failed: identical playOrder values for navPoint/navTarget/pageTarget that do not refer to same target
ERROR: /media/hd2/Mes documents/My eBooks/ePub/loti_les_desenchantees.epub/toc.ncx(29): assertion failed: identical playOrder values for navPoint/navTarget/pageTarget that do not refer to same target
ERROR: /media/hd2/Mes documents/My eBooks/ePub/loti_les_desenchantees.epub/toc.ncx(35): assertion failed: identical playOrder values for navPoint/navTarget/pageTarget that do not refer to same target
ERROR: /media/hd2/Mes documents/My eBooks/ePub/loti_les_desenchantees.epub/toc.ncx(42): assertion failed: identical playOrder values for navPoint/navTarget/pageTarget that do not refer to same target
ERROR: /media/hd2/Mes documents/My eBooks/ePub/loti_les_desenchantees.epub/toc.ncx(47): assertion failed: identical playOrder values for navPoint/navTarget/pageTarget that do not refer to same target
ERROR: /media/hd2/Mes documents/My eBooks/ePub/loti_les_desenchantees.epub/toc.ncx(53): assertion failed: identical playOrder values for navPoint/navTarget/pageTarget that do not refer to same target
ERROR: /media/hd2/Mes documents/My eBooks/ePub/loti_les_desenchantees.epub/toc.ncx(59): assertion failed: identical playOrder values for navPoint/navTarget/pageTarget that do not refer to same target

There is much more, but always the same error:
http://www.ebooksgratuits.com/epub/l...nchantees.epub

It is serious, Doctor???

The last bug, that I could circumvent, but which is real, for the conversion ODT ==> Epub.
When there is an empty paragraph in document ODT,, and with the "remote spacing between paragraphs" not checked, the empty paragraphs disappear in the document epub. It's because, in the index_split_X.html, we have : <p class="P-Standard"/> without </p> for the empty paragraphs. If I put a space in the paragraph of document ODT, the error disappears.

Last edited by Coolmicro; 01-29-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:27 AM   #300
Coolmicro
Groupie

I forgot a thing which relates to the viewer epub.

When I have, in index_O.css :
.P-Saut_5f_de_5f_page-avant {
font-size: 16pt;
margin-right: 0;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-top: 1.27cm;
margin-left: 0;
text-indent: 0.6cm;
font-family: Georgia, serif;
page-break-before: always;
text-align: justify
}
Adobe DIGITAL puts a page break, but Ebook viewer does not do it.