Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 07-19-2007, 10:16 AM   #16
smjacob
smjacob began at the beginning.

Device: sony ericsson k910i
I can't believe it's gone. I just found out. . So my only chance would be to get it on eBay. That sucks. I'm going to get an ulcer if I keep missing these gadgets.
smjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:18 PM   #17
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by smjacob View Post
I can't believe it's gone. I just found out. . So my only chance would be to get it on eBay. That sucks. I'm going to get an ulcer if I keep missing these gadgets.
Conics still has some in stock.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2007, 11:51 PM   #18
ArchiMark
ArchiMark began at the beginning.

Device: Zaurus SL-C3200
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by smjacob View Post
FWIW, I think I read on one of the OESF forum threads that Sharp is still making the Zaurus...just not planning to release any new models...

Do a search over at OESF forums if you're interested....think TriSoft, European Zaurus importer, may have commented on this...

HTH,

Mark
ArchiMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:55 AM   #19
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I can believe it that they've decided to stop marketing of the Zaurus, considering the way current UMPC have been moving. You can pick up a full-featured laptop with a larger screen, keyboard, etc. for around the same price. It's tought o compete with that kind of market; perhaps Sharp has a new product up their sleeves that they're just about to unveil that would have made their Zaurus line obsolete?

If anyone is in line for a Zaurus, let me know what you're looking for and I'll check the local second-hand shops; I know I can pick up any range of Zaurus from $180 and up. They're used, but you won't be paying a mint for something that will be dropping from production soon.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:50 AM   #20
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Dell and Sony dropped their pda lines only to move into the UMPC space. Hopefully Sharp is simply refocusing.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2007, 10:57 AM   #21
ArchiMark
ArchiMark began at the beginning.

Device: Zaurus SL-C3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Dell and Sony dropped their pda lines only to move into the UMPC space. Hopefully Sharp is simply refocusing.
Think they've already done that, Bob....

For quite some time they've been releasing other devices in Japan and Korea that at first glance look like Zaurii, but are not. They are various language dictionary devices with some other limited features.

They do not have the Linux based Qtopia OS....som much more limited and you can't reflash them to other Linux OS's like the Zaurus....

So it goes...

ArchiMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:42 PM   #22
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
You're right about the whole line of translator/portable encyclopedias available over here; they're almost a requirement for meaningful communication or learning. I actually saw a nice little Sony one a while back that could have fit in your front pocket; pitty I haven't seen more in that size. On a side note, I don't think this line-up was meant to replace the Zaurus line though, I think maybe they will have a UMPC that runs Windows coming soon (it's fits in the average consumer's comfort zone without having to learn a new interface). There are some nifty little portables around, though most have a drawback or two that could be fixed if they really wanted to sell better; i.e., listen to the consumers.

I'll be taking a peak here in a day or two to see what's new.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:42 PM   #23
mobilesalesman
mobilesalesman began at the beginning.

Device: HP Jornada 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred can do that (transcribe dictation recorded on a pda and transferred to the desktop) just as you mention. I am planning to do a review at MR of that capability very soon!
I doubt voice software will work; I've used Dragon for years on the desktop in perfectly quiet situations and it sucks.

Clamshell devices were the perfect form factor the only problem was MS dropping the OS to be greedy to go after a separate market the palm devices. Sharp old clamshells had a nice size and feel. I owned them but the new Linux version was more thumb input. I also owned virtually all others in the clamshell era and the best for hardware design is hands down the Psion 5mx or Revo. I switched to the Jornada 728 due to it having MS applications built in.

What is really needed is for a UMPC or MID device to copy either a Psion or HP Jornada or Zaurus type clamshell design and update it so it runs full windows. That will sell millions.

Here is an interesting fact, the HPC clamshell devices (only devices with touch type keyboards like Zaurus, Psion, Jornadas, etc.) sold over 2.3 million per year in the 90's. The entire UMPC market from the many 7" devices and including OQO only sold 350,000 worldwide in 07'.

The real problem is to me so simple. Now that technology can provide a device to run fulll windows and be pocket size they all forgot the great clamshell form factors and tried to re-invent the wheel. What do all users typically use for inputing their full windows laptops, etc. a real keyboard. duh... A thumb or pen input is just not what people want for a device that has full windows applications.
mobilesalesman is offline   Reply With Quote