Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 12:21 AM   #16
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur
LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Hijack:

How'd your cover experiment go with the walk? Any uptick by changing the fire?
Well, sales of THE WALK last month were the best ever, 880 copies sold @ $1.99 (priced at $2.99 but discounted by Amazon), earning me $1188. I don't know if that was because of the new cover, or because I was cheaper than other books, or if it was just a fluke.

But this month sales have dropped considerably...but that isn't a bad thing. How can I say that? Because I'm projecting sales of about 600 copies, only at the $2.99 price point this time, earning me $1236. So fewer copies sold, more money earned.

Then again, I'm a winner no matter what, since the book was out-of-print before, earning me nothing. Every cent I earn is found money, as far as I am concerned. I've sold nearly 9000 copies of THE WALK in a little over a year.

I've also just re-released the book in a trade paperback edition as well.

Lee

Last edited by LeeGoldberg; 08-26-2010 at 02:36 AM.
LeeGoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:22 AM   #17
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur
LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I was very excited by the idea of The Walk, Lee, and ordered it from Kobobooks. Unfortunately, the type is very faint on my Kobo to the point of my not being able to see it easily enough to read.
The new version of THE WALK is on line at Smashword. Perhaps that will play better on your Kobo.

Lee
Old 08-26-2010, 12:23 AM   #18
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I finished The Walk and gave it a four-star review at Goodreads.

It's a fast-paced, profane, funny and heart-breaking walk through a post-Big-One Los Angeles. Thanks for the trip, Lee! Let's hope it remains a work of fiction for many years to come.
I am so glad you liked it! Thank you for the review. I will have to go look at it.

Lee
Old 08-26-2010, 01:52 AM   #19
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeGoldberg View Post
Well, sales of THE WALK last month were the best ever, 880 copies sold @ $1.99 (priced at $2.99 but discounted by Amazon), earning me $1188. I don't know if that was because of the new cover, or because I was cheaper than other books, or if it was just a fluke.

But this month sales have dropped considerably...but that isn't a bad thing. How can I say that? Because I'm projecting sales of about 600 copies, only at the $2.99 price point this time, earning me $1236. So fewer copies sold, more money earned.

Then again, I'm a winner no matter what, since the book was out-of-print before, earning me nothing. Every cent I earn is found money, as far as I am concerned. I've sold nearly 9000 copies of THE WALK in a little over a year.

I've also just re-released the book in a trade paperback edition as well.

Lee

Hey this is GREAT to hear. Hope your book continues to sell well for you. In both electronic and paperback editions.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:35 AM   #20
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
Hey this is GREAT to hear. Hope your book continues to sell well for you. In both electronic and paperback editions.
Thanks, Guns.

My second bestselling out-of-print book on the Kindle is The Man with the Iron-On Badge, which does about 200-250 copies a month. I don't know why it sells so many fewer than The Walk. Maybe thrillers just do better on the Kindle than mysteries.

Lee
Old 09-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #21
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur

I just got a great review of The Walk from author/editor Ed Gorman on his blog today. He says, in part:

"It's a book far richer than most suspense novels[...]Marty Slack is the protagonist, a TV executive whose largest burden is being himself. As much as he resents and hates the grasping, greedy, treacherous people at the top of the TV ladder, he has to reluctantly admit to himself, in the course of his journey to reach home after being stranded miles away, that he is an awful lot like them. Slack is a character we get to know as well as we know people in the best of mainstream novels. Goldberg gives us a real live person here. And he doesn't cheat. We come to like Slack but there are moments when we see him as shallow, selfish and even pompous. But he's fascinating because he's so well detailed.
[...]And then there's Marty Slack's marriage. This storyline is another example of what I mean about Goldberg pushing against genre boundries. This isn't just a cliche portrait of a marriage in trouble. This, and at some length, is the dissection of two people who've realized that their marriage may be beyond repair. The scenes of recrimination, rage, despair hurt to witness. Beth Slack is just as painfully real as Marty Slack.

[...]This is a magnificent novel--by turns hilarious, scary, sad, witty and ultimately wise on its judgments about the way so many of us live these days."
Old 09-21-2010, 02:44 AM   #22
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur

The Walk has picked up a bunch of great reviews in the blogosphere over the last few weeks...here's just a sampling.

Author James Reasoner wrote, in part:

The Walk is part adventure novel, part horror novel, part comedy. A lot of terrible, tragic things happen, but Goldberg’s dry, satiric wit crops up often enough to keep things from getting overwhelmingly gloomy. Marty and Buck are fine characters who play off each other wonderfully well, and the pacing really keeps the reader turning the pages. All of it leads up to an absolutely great ending that really put a grin on my face.

The media critic known as Unfanboy writes on his blog, in part:

Surely part of the reason for the book’s initial failure and late-blooming success is that it is nearly impossible to classify. The plot seems simple enough: it is the story of a man’s attempt to get home and find his wife after the long-anticipated “Big One” earthquake more or less levels Los Angeles. As the book’s peripatetic title might suggest, it is more of a philosophical meditation than a thriller – except that makes the book sound much less funny than it actually is. It might be more appropriate to describe The Walk as a kind of anti-apocalypse novel, or perhaps a satire on every disaster movie you’ve ever seen – but like the best satires, it offers some redemption in the end.

It's so gratifying to see the book still getting attention well over a year since it was first published on the Kindle.

Lee
Old 10-26-2010, 11:40 PM   #23
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur

I'm Giving Away THE WALK

When THE WALK came out in hardcover seven years ago, nobody noticed it. I figured that was the end...but 15 months ago, I re-released it as an ebook. It was an immediate success and has sold nearly 12,000 copies so far and is still going strong.

I want to introduce THE WALK to the next wave of new Kindle, iPad, and Nook owners this holiday season… and to do that, I’d like send you a FREE COPY of the novel in whatever eformat you prefer (epub, PDF, etc). Here’s all that you have to do:

1. Send me an email at lee@leegoldberg.com with the subject FREE WALK BOOK and give me your name and the address of your website or blog (don’t have one? That’s okay. Read on).

2. Agree to post a review, positive or negative (but with no spoilers!) on your blog, website, Goodreads page, Facebook page, or the Amazon listing for THE WALK by Christmas Day. (You don't have to buy the book on Amazon to review it there, you only need to have an account).

3. Email me a copy of the review or a link to the post.

This offer is limited to the first 100 people who respond by November 30.