Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 10:19 AM   #16
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
I guess I am the odd holdout here, because even though as an author my works are—and will continue to be—available in electronic form, the vast majority of my literary purchases are still in good ol' fashioned printed paper. (No doubt this is largely a factor of the fact that I don't own a proper eBook device, and that for my own electronic reading, I am currently using an iPhone with Stanza.)

I have no problem with the idea of my own works showing up on the darknet, though. Eventually, some of them probably will. It is my hope that, if they do, they will reach a few new readers who might then enjoy the stories enough to keep an eye out for them later, and perhaps spend money. If those individuals wind up spending money, I've made a sale I wouldn't otherwise have; if those individuals don't spend money, they probably wouldn't have anyway.

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:26 AM   #17
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I went to the darknet once, to get Under the Dome. I had pre-ordered it, too. I guess I never got beyond the emotional age of 4 - if you tell me I can't have something, I will move heaven and earth to prove you wrong. When I got the legitimate copy, I deleted the copy from the darknet, and I haven't done that again. Still haven't read it.

Except for books I know I want to buy, what I do instead of looking on the darknet is look in the library, both pback and ebook. Although I swore I would never go back to pbooks, they have a shorter wait time compaired with the ebook version. I spend a lot of time around the first of the month checking for new ebooks. Unfortunately, as near as I can tell, they load sometime after 2 am and before 6 am.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 10:31 AM   #18
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
I've always said that I wouldn't consider darknet if the books were available legally, and I recently got to put my money where my mouth is when about 75% of the Nero Wolfe books finally became available on Amazon. It was a big nut, but I bought 'em all, and was happy to do it.
I am glad those books are once again available, and that Rex Stout's legacy can reach a new generation of readers through the wonders of technology. But here is a good example of where technology also fails: I was able to complete my Rex Stout collection (yes, all the Nero Wolfe titles, as well as Alphabet Hicks, Tecumseh Fox, and a ton of stand-alones) for approximately forty dollars, by purchasing used paperbacks over a span of a few years.

That same amount would only buy you six or eight of the Kindle editions, which is a far cry from a complete set. (Please understand, I am NOT criticizing your decision to purchase them this way!)

To me, the idea of selling back catalog titles at premium prices seems like a quick way to shorten your own shelf life. Price these items at a more attractive point, and there will be less temptation for individuals to resort to illegitimate means of acquisition in the first place.

- M.

Last edited by Vintage Season; 07-31-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:36 AM   #19
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
What ebook shops are you using that won't let you see a list of what is available and read short samples of the ones you are interested in?
Kobo's excerpts are geographically restricted. One of the dumbest marketing fails ever, that one.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:40 AM   #20
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Kobo's excerpts are geographically restricted. One of the dumbest marketing fails ever, that one.

Surely that makes sense in the Kobo store ?

If the book is georestricted, then what would be the point of not doing same to the extract ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 10:54 AM   #21
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
I only tap the "Darknet" for hard to find vintage titles.
This is what I've done too, although the one writer I was especially looking for turned out not to be available anywhere. So then I began thinking about shifting this writer's paper books (which I own) to ebook format.

I have found some other ebooks I've looked for, but when it came to downloading them I felt hesitant. These were books that I thought would someday be available as ebooks and then could be paid for, so I waited.

The only other time I downloaded a series I didn't realize the site was illegal. It was a 'sharing' site and I was so new to this I was unaware that you couldn't swap ebooks like that - which was what it was. 'I have this ebook someone might want, you share another one you think people might like.' I still don't see what's wrong with that, as long as you paid for it in the first place. Like the Book Swap sites for paper copies. But oh well. <shrug>
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:14 PM   #22
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Surely that makes sense in the Kobo store ?

If the book is georestricted, then what would be the point of not doing same to the extract ?
So if you are a publisher, you want fewer people to see your product, then?

In some cases, the actual publishers will even have them available.

It is just 100% dumb.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:09 PM   #23
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
So if you are a publisher, you want fewer people to see your product, then?

In some cases, the actual publishers will even have them available.

It is just 100% dumb.
Why is it dumb? I think it's good website design. Why tantalize someone with a product they can't buy. I'd be pissed if I was given a taste of something really amazing and then told, "Sorry, you can't buy the rest."

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:12 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Why is it dumb? I think it's good website design. Why tantalize someone with a product they can't buy. I'd be pissed if I was given a taste of something really amazing and then told, "Sorry, you can't buy the rest."

-Marcy
I agree. There's no point in letting someone download a sample of a book they can't buy. That would simply lead to annoyance on the part of the user.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:26 PM   #25
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
It's been a long time since I've actually browsed the darknet. I'm not sure I know how to find it now. There are so many books that I want to read that are available via the legit ebook stores, I don't have time to read all the books I have bought. Sure there are a lot of books that I would like to get that aren't available, but most of those are books where I would be replacing a book that I have in dead tree format.

With that said, I don't see anything morally reprehensibility with downloading a book from the darknet that isn't available via legitimate means.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:34 PM   #26
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I've checked out the darknet before, but haven't returned.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:19 PM   #27
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Season View Post
I am glad those books are once again available, and that Rex Stout's legacy can reach a new generation of readers through the wonders of technology. But here is a good example of where technology also fails: I was able to complete my Rex Stout collection (yes, all the Nero Wolfe titles, as well as Alphabet Hicks, Tecumseh Fox, and a ton of stand-alones) for approximately forty dollars, by purchasing used paperbacks over a span of a few years.

That same amount would only buy you six or eight of the Kindle editions, which is a far cry from a complete set. (Please understand, I am NOT criticizing your decision to purchase them this way!)

To me, the idea of selling back catalog titles at premium prices seems like a quick way to shorten your own shelf life. Price these items at a more attractive point, and there will be less temptation for individuals to resort to illegitimate means of acquisition in the first place.

- M.
This is not a failure. You have a big shelf of books that you have to store. They are gathering dust in your house. If you move you have to pack them up and then unpack them.

I own all the Rex Stout books in pbooks that I also bought used many years ago. I'm still replacing them all with ebooks because I like the format much better. I haven't gotten rid of the pbooks yet because he is one of my top favorite authors and my books are all vintage copies. But one day I'll want to reclaim the space they're taking up and I'll have to do something with them.

My Rex Stout ebooks travel with me everywhere. If I get stuck unexpectedly somewhere I can whip out my phone and read them. Plus I usually have my PB360 in my bag. If I only had the pbooks I'd just be bored.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:20 AM   #28
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
No. I usually download a preview on my iPhone and then buy it from a different store online.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:22 AM   #29
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
If I'm that desperate I'll go to a book store and look at the book on the shelf . first .....though I rarely do that these days ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:42 AM   #30
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

Device: Onyx Boox 60, iPad
I don't use the dark net, but I think I will very seldom buy an ebook either. Most of the books I want to read are DRM restricted in their ebook format, and having tried once, I don't see myself going through that rigmarole again. If I were youthful and optimistic, I might do so: having all your books on a hard-drive in searchable form would be in immense boon. But for now, I'll still be getting those little packages delivered to my door by the mail-lady.

My ereaders will be for PDFs and Gutenberg.
TimMason is offline   Reply With Quote