Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 12:22 PM   #16
Tomsk
Womble
Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KFHDX8.9, Fujitsu S1300, Voyage, K7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
OLED panels are active emissive displays, that constantly refresh just like LCDs. Just a bit pricier. You get better color, slightly longer battery life, slightly thinner form factor. In other words, the benefits for ebooks are essentially zero. But it looks cool on the specsheet. A typical Apple choice.
For an e-reader an OLED screen won't be very efficient.
More white on the display = more LEDs lit up = more power needed
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #17
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Nice. Apple going after the eReader market directly. This should prove exciting.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Now I'm confused. However it works, I promise you it does .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #19
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Would help if we knew what make/model you have. The only OLED displays I've encountered that are daylight readable are simple low-color displays like that on my Sansa Clip. They do work in sunlight, but they do use a lot of juice to push out that much light. Their design is relatively simple compared to high-color displays, and their basic output per pixel can be rather high. It is not something you'd want for a reader display.

However, high-color AMOLED-screened phones do not work any better in full sunlight than LCD ones, and sometimes even worse.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:33 PM   #20
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
What will be the price for 5.6- and 7-inch iPads? I guess somewhere between $149 and $199 to compete with Nook and Kindle.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #21
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I have a Zune HD with an OLED display and even though it's a bit better in the sun, it wouldn't be enough for an ebook reader.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #22
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
This obsession with sunlight readable displays is just a matter of personal preference. I have never understood why anyone would want to read even a paper book in the sun. I'd have to wear sunglasses just to look at the page. Very unpleasant.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #23
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
What will be the price for 5.6- and 7-inch iPads? I guess somewhere between $149 and $199 to compete with Nook and Kindle.
I don't think Apple will go that low with a "new" product.
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:44 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What's the current US price for the entry-level iPod Touch? It would have to cost more than that, I think, since it would have a larger screen.

Last edited by HarryT; 07-13-2010 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Typo
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #25
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppw View Post
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20100713PD207.html

If the rumor turns out to be true, how is OLED screen compared to E-ink in terms of book reading?
im calling shenanigans on this one - does not seem to fit the Apple marketing or rollout strategy - more likely I would think is new ipads down the road with more features and more memory
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #26
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
This obsession with sunlight readable displays is just a matter of personal preference. I have never understood why anyone would want to read even a paper book in the sun. I'd have to wear sunglasses just to look at the page. Very unpleasant.
i toally agree - even in bright shade (i know) the ipad is very readable
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #27
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
What's the current US price for the entry-level iPod Touch? It would have to cost more than that, I think, since it would have a larger screen.
They go for $199 for an 8GB.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #28
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Would help if we knew what make/model you have. The only OLED displays I've encountered that are daylight readable are simple low-color displays like that on my Sansa Clip. They do work in sunlight, but they do use a lot of juice to push out that much light. Their design is relatively simple compared to high-color displays, and their basic output per pixel can be rather high. It is not something you'd want for a reader display.

However, high-color AMOLED-screened phones do not work any better in full sunlight than LCD ones, and sometimes even worse.
Old OLEDs don't, but the new crop Super AMOLED (the ones in new Samsung Galaxy) are much better in sunlight then old AMOLED or LCD (including IPS).
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #29
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Are you positive it's an OLED display?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #30
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post

It'll be an Apple price ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote