Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-08-2010, 02:00 AM   #16
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Yes, I'd be interested to see the stats for kindle books bought for iPad, especially in the last couple of weeks, given the much larger selection of ebooks available from Amazon outside of the U.S. - I've bought four in the last week...

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #17
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
Yes, I'd be interested to see the stats for kindle books bought for iPad, especially in the last couple of weeks, given the much larger selection of ebooks available from Amazon outside of the U.S. - I've bought four in the last week...

Pete
how do you know if they were bought FOR the iPad?

maybe someone bought 5 books on their kindle the week before iPad launch and has read them all on the iPad! those 5 wouldnt then count?
what if someone bougfht it on the iPad and reads it on their kindle because they prefer browsing the shop on iPad...
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #18
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
From zero sales to 5 million in 60 days isn't "that much"? That's about a book a month for each iPad, and ipads selling a million each month.
We don't know how many sales there were, only how many downloads.
I've downloaded 9 books from the iBookstore. All were free, including the Winnie the Pooh book that downloads automatically when you install iBooks.
Similarly I've downloaded 21 books from the Kindle store, 5 from the B&N store and 3 from the Kobo store. All of them were free books, and any stat that counts them as sales, or uses them to calculate market share, is meaningless.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #19
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
how do you know if they were bought FOR the iPad?

maybe someone bought 5 books on their kindle the week before iPad launch and has read them all on the iPad! those 5 wouldnt then count?
what if someone bougfht it on the iPad and reads it on their kindle because they prefer browsing the shop on iPad...
Well obviously I don't know, but like I said I'd be interested in seeing the stats, and of course, how they were arrived at e.g. if a kindle book was bought on an iPad and sent to an iPad, then I'd expect that to count as an iPad sale, no? Similarly, the data that Amazon must gather during the 'whispersync' process must give an idea of which devices the book is principally being read on, and again, it would be interesting to see the data for that.

Of course, given that Amazon aren't even forthcoming about how many kindle devices they've sold, then I think the chances of getting sales and usage data out of them are pretty slim!

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote