Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 08:08 AM   #16
Gummby
Enthusiast
Gummby began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, GEB1150, Treo 680
Ditto to the above. I downloaded the update last night, and it won't come up now. Actually, it launches, but then when I hook the reader in, it won't sync. It was fine until I downloaded the update.
Gummby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #17
Gummby
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
Calibre can can do everything Sony Library can do and more. The Sony Library has given me nothing but head-aches. I uninstalled it almost right away.
Dr. Z: this is stated often on MR. How does one use Calibre to get Sony freebies?
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 03:09 PM   #18
Gummby
Enthusiast

Quick update: I did a remote operation with a Sony rep, which appeared to get things back up and running again. (As an aside, since she was remoting me, she went back and filled out the customer satisfaction form for herself, giving herself highest marks, of course).

However, when I went back into my Reader, it turned out that everything I had downloaded from the Sony store in the last 3 months was deleted. For some reason, it's all still in ADE, but now it shows that I don't have rights to access it.

And the software was running slow.

In desperation, I uninstalled the update, and reinstalled the 3.01 update which I still had on my computer. Now I show no books in my library (although they are still on the hard drive), and the software is unresponsive whenever I try to pull up books.

In short, it appears I'm worse off than I was before.

Most of the Sony stuff on my computer is freebies, so it's not a big deal. It's mainly frustration. However, the question I posed earlier remains: is there a way through Calibre (or any other software) to get the Sony purchases & freebies?
Old 06-04-2010, 03:38 PM   #19
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummby View Post
is there a way through Calibre (or any other software) to get the Sony purchases & freebies?
G, The books are probably protected but you might try moving one of them into your Calibre book library and launch Calibre and try to add it into Calibre then, if that works, try sending it to your reader.

Report back!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #20
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Edit: Ooopps! Sorry double post.

Last edited by Curly; 06-04-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #21
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Yes, you can can add sony books to calibre, change metadata and add tags. You can't view the books in calibre but can transfer them to your reader.

You could also view them with ADE software and put them on your reader with that.

The only way that I am aware of to get freebies from sony, is through the sony library software.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:28 AM   #22
purple_kathryn
Mostly harmless
purple_kathryn began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
I downloaded the library software to my laptop and it runs fine so there must be some software conflict going on with my PC.
purple_kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #23
jimhen
jimhen began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS505
Unhappy

I just developed this same problem. The program worked for a couple of times after install but now nada....same story as the rest of you.

Any further news on this? Is v3.3 coming soon as a fix?
jimhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #24
Elevatorguy
Elevatorguy began at the beginning.

Device: none
I also cannot launch 3.2 on my desktop, had sony take remote control of my computer and they could not get it to work they told me to call them but I have not. I use Calibre I have Win 7 Pro and PRS600 reader which I may return due to glare.
Elevatorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #25
jimhen

Smile

Just to get closure on this I contacted Sony's online help and after progressing through 2 levels of customer service was able to have a young lady from El Salvador (would you believe) get me up and running again.

This involved a complete uninstall, a patch and deletion and recreation of my complete library. 90 minutes but time well spent.

I am dreading the next upgrade though!
Old 06-11-2010, 01:34 AM   #26
Gummby
Enthusiast

Progress, but no closure for me. I now can view one Overdrive library book from ADE on my 600. If I load more than one, none of them work. As for the Sony Reader Software, it will download new freebies, it will allow me to move books from the old library back on to the Reader, but it will not show the Books at all. It's like dead space.

Sony also told me to call. I may at some point, but don't have 90 minutes (or more) to mess with it right now.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #27
jimhen

Gummby (great name - are you a a Monty Python fan?) My rep deliberately deleted my library. The Sony Store keeps a record of all my purchases and there is a link which will load all those purchases back into my library. Most of my books were originally in .LRF format so I now got all ePub versions which is nice. I had already deleted the free stuff because I wasn't interested in it so this wouldn't help you with that.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #28
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350 1 Pink 1 Silver Paperwhite Kindle
Hi,

I installed the new software and am having a problem with it freezing (not responding) if I wait 30-50 seconds it does work, but a pain to deal wiith.

If I uninstall it and reinstall the old one will I lose the books in my sony library or will it still be there?

Thanks!
laughingdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #29
Dereks
Connoisseur
Dereks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
I am having the same problem. after around a dozen of re-installs I've managed to get the software working, it even recognizes the reader, when I connect it. But when I try to access the reader (click on the icon in the sidebar) - Sony Library simply crashes. so annoying.
i wouldn't have used it at all, but so far there is no any other software, which can transfer notes from the reader.
Dereks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #30
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingdragons View Post
I installed the new software and am having a problem with it freezing (not responding) if I wait 30-50 seconds it does work
L, Yes, this is what I'm experiencing also. It seems to happen when accessing the ereader.

As you say, it eventually unfreezes and goes back to normal so I can live with the problem since I don't use the Reader Library software very much.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote