Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-20-2010, 10:56 PM   #16
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Are you familiar with the term antihero?
I think Villain Protagonist might be a better term.

That link has a list of examples, but be warned: tvtropes is a notorious time sink. Expect to spend quite a while on there
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #17
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Could you tolerate a series of shorter stories?

I would then suggest the Raffles series by E.W. Hourning, available here at mobileread... PD in US, life + 50, and life + 70.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #18
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks features main characters who include magically enhanced assassins called "wetboys", prostitutes, and thieves. They're a great set of books and available as a bundle on sony's website.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:01 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Could you tolerate a series of shorter stories?

I would then suggest the Raffles series by E.W. Hourning, available here at mobileread... PD in US, life + 50, and life + 70.
Yes, indeed; the "Raffles" stories are excellent. Horning was Arthur Conan Doyle's brother-in-law, and Raffles was intentionally created as an "anti-Holmes".

My "Raffles Omnibus", containing all three books of short stories, plus a novel, is available for download here at MR.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #20
Denny_
Denny_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Some excellent suggestions. I'm particularly interested in the Creasey series mentioned as well as Dexter. I can't believe I didn't think of Dexter as the Showtime series is great. I'll also look into the Hank Thompson series.

A couple of you mentioned the Flashman series and I've read other recommendations for this series elsewhere in the forum. It sounded a little corny but maybe it's worth a look.

Thanks for all the recommendations.
Denny_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #21
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think you're describing Lawrence Block's books. He has the BURGLAR WHO... series which is a traditional style mystery where a cat burglar solves a much larger crime. Then there's his HIT MAN series about a thought assassin. Hit Man and Hit List are the best books in the series. Both series are very entertaining.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #22
crash1211
crash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-600, Entourage Edge, Nook Simple Touch, iPad2, Kindle 4
The Gap Series by Stephen R. Donldson might be up your ally.
crash1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:30 AM   #23
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch is worth a read. It's a fantasy tale about a group of conmen known as the 'Gentlemen Bastards', great tale and quite funny in places.

It's the first in a planned series of 7 I think but it stands on it's own.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #24
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't think anyone mention Richard Stark's Parker series. Well worth checking out.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:01 PM   #25
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
How about "Hannibal" by Thomas Harris. It's the prequel to the other books (Silence of the Lambs) and while the movie Hannibal sucked, the book is outstanding.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:13 AM   #26
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
If you're interested in manga, one series you could try is Lupin III (Lupin The Third) by Monkey Punch. The lead character, Lupin, is the world's greatest thief who is continually being pursued by Inspector Zenigata. He is also in competition with another thief, Fujiko.

A good introduction to the character is the movie "Castle Of Cagliostro." It's an excellent movie. Although Lupin is a bit toned down from his usual behavior in this movie, it logically fits the story.

If you're interested in U.S. comic books, a character to try is Catwoman. Although most people think of her as a villain, she actually on the line between being a hero and being a villain (although there is now a question of how much of that was her own choice).
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #27
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Are you familiar with the term antihero?

You could try the Takeshi Kovacs books by Richard Morgan.
A couple people recommended the Takeshi Kovacs series in a thread I started a while back about anti-heros. I just got around to reading it recently, and boy where they right. Great series. I'm going to have to check out some of his other books.
KarateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #28
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I would also recommend the Jack Parlabane character-based books of Christopher Brookmyre ('Quite Ugly One Morning', 'Country of The Blind', 'Boiling a Frog', 'Be My Enemy' and 'Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks').

All excellent IMHO, with 'Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks' being the best.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:05 AM   #29
glowhappy
lost my wits...
glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilohertz53 View Post
Of course, there's Dexter Morgan, ethical serial killer (he only kills other killers), from the series by Jeff Lindsay that starts with Darkly Dreaming Dexter.
Mildly off topic, but this series was made into a Showtime series simply titled "Dexter". I love the tv series and wanted to read the books, but according to Amazon reviews, the books are not up to par, go figure

My apologizes for being off topic please don't flag me!
glowhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:09 AM   #30
glowhappy
lost my wits...
glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
If you're interested in manga, one series you could try is Lupin III (Lupin The Third) by Monkey Punch. The lead character, Lupin, is the world's greatest thief who is continually being pursued by Inspector Zenigata. He is also in competition with another thief, Fujiko.

A good introduction to the character is the movie "Castle Of Cagliostro." It's an excellent movie. Although Lupin is a bit toned down from his usual behavior in this movie, it logically fits the story.

If you're interested in U.S. comic books, a character to try is Catwoman. Although most people think of her as a villain, she actually on the line between being a hero and being a villain (although there is now a question of how much of that was her own choice).
Another Manga you should look into is Blade of the Immortal, rather gruesome but has great characters and plot.
wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_of_the_immortal
glowhappy is offline   Reply With Quote