Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #16
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Screen size shouldn't be an issue, and shouldn't be hard-coded into apps --- I've been waiting for resolution-independence in GUIs since I used to run a 15" CRT @ 1600 x 1200 w/ fonts set to _huge_ back in the Windows 95 days.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #17
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flub View Post
It'd be nice if Apple just got off their backsides and announced the details of the International launch of the iPad they have currently.

I'm starting to suspect we're going to be slapped with a delay at the last minute.
My parents go the US in one week! I best know before then or i might be tempted to give them $600 to take with them.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #18
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
Dear, dmaul, that is probably the 817th post that I see where you telling that you need a device of no less then 12" to read pdf and bashing anything that's not.
I have Motion 1300 for 6+ years now, it has 12" screen and a tablet and it reads and annotates pdfs. I cannot use it, because god damn thing is too big to hold comfortably, but why you don't have it yet?
Is it apple-cool-aid you waiting for?

You just said it, it's too big to hold comfortably. The battery life probably stinks etc.

I want something in the iPad type of form factor/battery life. Printouts work fine in the meantime, so I'm in not rush to get some big, bulky, short battery life, hot running tablet PC.

Especially now since the iPad is out, a bunch of Android tablets are coming out, thinner tablet PCs like the HP slate etc.

Just silly to buy anything right now IMO vs waiting 6-12 months for these to roll out and find something that's closer to what I need/want.

But yes, some Apple kool-aid as the iPad is fantastic in terms of form factor, speed, battery life etc., just a bit small and needs a real file management system. So the bar is set pretty high, and I may just end up with an iPad if the Android and other tablets don't come close to matching it in those areas.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:37 PM   #19
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
...the iPad is fantastic in terms of form factor, speed, battery life etc., just a bit small and needs a real file management system. So the bar is set pretty high, and I may just end up with an iPad if the Android and other tablets don't come close to matching it in those areas.
Yes, lack of a file management system gives me pause. It's on my gotta-have list now because of no present alternatives. I'm forcing myself to hold out until the end of the year. Don't think I'll be able to go past that.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:41 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Yes, lack of a file management system gives me pause. It's on my gotta-have list now because of no present alternatives. I'm forcing myself to hold out until the end of the year. Don't think I'll be able to go past that.
There have a been highly successful platforms in the past, which also lacked a conventional file system. Most notably the Palm, which simply had one internal database into which all files were "merged". It can be argued that file systems are things that are no concern of the user, but a "system" issue.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 04:57 AM   #21
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There have a been highly successful platforms in the past, which also lacked a conventional file system. Most notably the Palm, which simply had one internal database into which all files were "merged". It can be argued that file systems are things that are no concern of the user, but a "system" issue.

I work that way now with, iPhoto, iTunes and Calibre and of course iPhone.

It certainly took some getting used to and initially I actually went in and changed the settings so I manually managed my files but realised after a while i dont actually care about that!
I just want access to my photos and music HOWEVER there is a potential negative to this.

The software can stop this being a good system in iPhoto for example the fact that i can set it to open the image in photoshop when I click to edit means I dont need to get access to the file in the old way, I can also choose to export selected files to a disc or send via email all from within the app. When it works this way I have no need to open finder and actually touch the file, I love it... BUT if the iPhoto software wasnt this good and flexible I wouldnt like this system...

the iPhone/iPad for me are still missing that central store for all files that all apps then point at(although it does exist for photos and music) they need to do this for all file types imo.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #22
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
You just said it, it's too big to hold comfortably. The battery life probably stinks etc.

I want something in the iPad type of form factor/battery life. Printouts work fine in the meantime, so I'm in not rush to get some big, bulky, short battery life, hot running tablet PC.

Especially now since the iPad is out, a bunch of Android tablets are coming out, thinner tablet PCs like the HP slate etc.

Just silly to buy anything right now IMO vs waiting 6-12 months for these to roll out and find something that's closer to what I need/want.

But yes, some Apple kool-aid as the iPad is fantastic in terms of form factor, speed, battery life etc., just a bit small and needs a real file management system. So the bar is set pretty high, and I may just end up with an iPad if the Android and other tablets don't come close to matching it in those areas.
You giving too much credit to IPad it's as bulky because of it's ginormous bezel as 12" tablet pc I have, and weigh just a few ounces less, I would imagine 12" you waiting for will weight the same and will be even more unweildy if it comes from apple with same bezel. I played with IPad in BestBuy and thing was so heavy I got tired after 2 minutes of holding it with one hand.
Have to acknowledge though, if you are afraid of heat - old tablets are not for you
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #23
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Well, being successful doesn't mean it's ideal or acceptable to everyone.

I can deal without a file system if they at least make some central places to drag files in iTuens so that every app can find them.

From what others have posted, it does work that way for photos and music. Get them on there and all the photo and music apps can find them as they're in a central location.

But it doesn't work that way for other documents. For instance, PDFs. I can drag and drop them into Goodreader in iTunes, but other PDF apps can't find them as they're in a place specific to good reader.

If they made a folder called "My Files" or "My Docs" or something like that you could drag stuff in and most all apps could find them (as it's a central location on every iPad they could be designed to use) I could probably deal with lack of a true file management system.

But I'll wait and see how the Android, Windows 7 etc. tablets turn out, what's in store for the iPad 2nd gen etc. Though like the guy above I don't really want to wait past the end of this year. But I may wait until next spring as I'd really rather get at least a 2nd gen version of whatever tablet I end up with so I don't have 1st gen bugs, high prices etc.

Quote:
You giving too much credit to IPad it's as bulky because of it's ginormous bezel as 12" tablet pc I have, and weigh just a few ounces less, I would imagine 12" you waiting for will weight the same and will be even more unweildy if it comes from apple with same bezel. I played with IPad in BestBuy and thing was so heavy I got tired after 2 minutes of holding it with one hand.
Have to acknowledge though, if you are afraid of heat - old tablets are not for you

I don't find the iPad bulky or too heavy. Have used it for several hours in different settings since my girlfriend bought one on launch day.

The bezel is a necessity. It could be a bit smaller, but not much. With a super sensitive touch screen you have to be able to hold it without your thumbs etc. touching the screen or you'll be accidentally pressing stuff all the time.

To clarify I don't absolutely have to have a 12" screen. The 9.7" screen on the iPad works better for my needs that I thought it would since the screen is so fast for zooming and scrolling, which makes reading A4 docs in Landscape mode much less annoying that I thought.

I'd prefer a screen an inch or two bigger. But I could deal with a 9.7" if nothing with a bigger screen comes out that matches the thinness, screen quality, speed, battery life etc. of the iPad in the next year or so.

But yeah, whatever I buy I want to be thin, reasonably light, not put out much heat, and get the 10-11 hour battery life of the iPad. Otherwise I'd rather buy the iPad and deal with it's shortcomings, than buy something else that doesn't match those things.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Well, being successful doesn't mean it's ideal or acceptable to everyone.
Oh, I completely agree with you. That's why I personally always used Windows Mobile PDAs rather than Palm devices, because I like being able to see and use files in the "normal" way. We must each make a decision about what suits us personally; no one device is going to be right for everybody.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #25
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
I can deal without a file system if they at least make some central places to drag files in iTuens so that every app can find them.

Third party apps pretty much all work within a sandbox and can't interact with other apps so having a central place where all apps can find them probably won't be happening.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #26
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
Third party apps pretty much all work within a sandbox and can't interact with other apps so having a central place where all apps can find them probably won't be happening.
Who knows. It works that way with photo and music files. Those all get stored in a centralized location that Apple puts on the iPad/iPhone.

I don't see a reason they can't do the same thing for say PDFs and other types of docs.

If they're in a central location, any app can be written with that location as they're default storage location and open any files (in that apps format be it PDF etc.) that are in that location. The apps don't have to interact with each other. It's just a matter of having a central file location so all apps can be written to look for files in that location, save their files there etc.

I don't know if it WILL happen. But it seems an easy fix/compromise if they're not willing to have a real file management system.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #27
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Well, that one I will buy. 10" with bezel was too much for me to consider carrying around. 7" inch would be perfect.
A 7" screen would be a better size for an eBook reader. But I still don't think I will ever buy into the Apple business model. I believe that once you buy the hardware you should be able to install whatever software you want to on it.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #28
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
A 7" screen would be a better size for an eBook reader. But I still don't think I will ever buy into the Apple business model. I believe that once you buy the hardware you should be able to install whatever software you want to on it.
Out of interest do you believe that with all hardware devices or just apple media players?
of course with a full fledged computer its a given, but what about your cable box? game console? Ereader? etc
Old 04-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #29
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:

I want something in the iPad type of form factor/battery life....
I absolutely agree. The new tablets, the first of which is the iPad, are thinner, easier to hold and have way better UIs (iPhone/iPad OS does the best (so far) job of UI, and I hope Android 2.1+ gives it a run for the title).

And for PDFs, 10.5"+ is a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
I work that way now with, iPhoto, iTunes and Calibre and of course iPhone....
Bleh, the main reason I don't touch iPhoto is because I've had its database go bad, and I still have not figured out some of my photos (it scrambled the order, and worse, changed all the dates to the date of corruption).

The best I've found is Adobe's Light Room, and even Apple's new Aperture 3 is way better than iPhoto - and both will maintain your folder structure.

As to iTunes, now that one of my 3G Ss was force-updated to 3.1.3, there is NO app I have found which will let me copy my music from my office Mac to this iPhone (which syncs to my home Mac). (If someone knows of a way, please tell).
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #30
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
And for PDFs, 10.5"+ is a must.
Have you tried the iPad?

After using it I'd still prefer another inch or two in screen size. But I wouldn't call it a must anymore.

I could get by with 9.7 on the iPad (and other tablets if they can match the UI).

Even with a couple 8.5x11" double column scholarly journal articles I checked out, it wasn't bad. Just turn it to landscape, do the pinch zoom to get rid of the margins, and it's super readable.

I thought the scrolling would drive me nuts, but it's so smooth and fast on the ipad that it's not bad at all--vs say the slow e-ink on the Kindle DX.

I'd still prefer a slightly bigger screen for sure, but I could deal with the 9.7 inches if nothing comes out with a bigger screen that matches or surpasses the iPad's UI, battery life, form factor etc. for sure.

But also probably 90% or more of PDFs I read are journals that use smaller, single column pages. Just a few in my field use A4 sized double column formats. So it's less of a need for me than others.