Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 02:02 AM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
what do those meta tags achieve?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #17
timbgray
timbgray began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre & iPad
Zonule: Does wattpad work?
timbgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #18
Firepong
Firepong began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Pandigital Novel, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Amazing that both Stanza and iBooks share the same bug
Open a ticket and attach one of your RTF files and I'll see if I can find a fix.
I had found this to be a problem as well when converting RTF to ePub. The thing that was messing it up for me was this code surrounding most of the book:

<div class="s">

and at the end the close tag </div>

After I removed all of those and re-uploaded the book back to my IPad via iTunes and opened it up, it was wall crystal clear. Might want to check to make sure that that that book if he opens a ticket doesn't have those.

Think it might be something that was transfered over on me from my RTF files that made it do that.
Firepong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #19
synsoc
synsoc began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonule View Post
I've been working on a related problem all day, without sucess.

First some background: I've been using Calibre to organize a large number of books that were converted to EPUB from RTF. They look great on the Sony PRS505. Using Stanza on the iPhone, they also look great ONLY IF you change a particular setting in Stanza (change settings > layout > display style to "off"). If you don't do this, only the first page of the book is shown. The remaining pages, perhaps hundreds of them, are blank. On my shiny new iPad, the same fix is necessary. (Stanza needs an update for iPad - the print is blurry in full screen mode.)

Now here is my question. While waiting for an iPad-compatible Stanza, I've been using the iPad's iBook program, which supposedly reads EPUBs. This it does, as long as they are not generated by Calibre. If they are, you get the same "first page only" error. What's going on. Is there some conversion setting that will generate EPUBs that don't have this problem?

By the way, Calibre is a great program. I like it a lot.
I get the same problem converting rtf to epub using default or stanza output settings. Cover + first page then 50 blank pages, 50 good pages, 100 blank pages. The epub file works fine using the default calibre viewer
synsoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #20
gbrock
gbrock began at the beginning.

Device: iPAd
Hi everybody
I'm using Calibre to convert pdf to epub, to use in my iPad. It seems to be working well, but when I started to read on iPad I saw that it breaks all lines and add a space between 2 lines. Do you know how to solve it?
Thanks
gbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #21
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrock View Post
Hi everybody
I'm using Calibre to convert pdf to epub, to use in my iPad. It seems to be working well, but when I started to read on iPad I saw that it breaks all lines and add a space between 2 lines. Do you know how to solve it?
Thanks
I'm curious, does the iPad have a pdf viewer? It seems that the size of the iPad would be perfect for native pdf documents.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #22
gbrock

Hi
you can use Safari or some app as Goodreader to read pdf... and it's really great.
But, using iBooks, that needs epub format, it's much better... you can bookmark parts you liked and check the meaning of any word using dictionary... it's a amazing reading experience.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:57 AM   #23
sk8bit
MR. SB
sk8bit began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600BC
Quote:
Hi everybody
Thanks
I'm having the same exact issue, I attempted to adjust some settings with select to out spaces after paragraphs but that only made the conversion a lot worse.

Has one found a work around or fix for this yet?
sk8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:58 AM   #24
Firepong
Firepong began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Pandigital Novel, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8bit View Post
I'm having the same exact issue, I attempted to adjust some settings with select to out spaces after paragraphs but that only made the conversion a lot worse.

Has one found a work around or fix for this yet?
By what I found about this with my own experiences, it is a badly formatted PDF file that outputs a ePub like that. When I get a PDF file like that, I try to find a better one, doesn't matter what format it is. If I can't find a better one, it usually takes me forever to fix errors like that. Think the last one I had to fix up, only half of the ePub was bad the other half was good. Took me a little over a hour to fix it. Probably would have been longer if I just used backspace.

I had started out that way but it was taking to long as Sigil would freeze up for a few seconds so I just went into code view and done a shit ton of replaces and repairs.
Firepong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #25
gbrock

Sorry, but I strongly disagree with you... what is a badly formatted PDF file? I'm using a very well formatted file... I think that the problem is with Calibre.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:46 PM   #26
sk8bit
MR. SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepong View Post
By what I found about this with my own experiences, it is a badly formatted PDF file that outputs a ePub like that. When I get a PDF file like that, I try to find a better one, doesn't matter what format it is. If I can't find a better one, it usually takes me forever to fix errors like that. Think the last one I had to fix up, only half of the ePub was bad the other half was good. Took me a little over a hour to fix it. Probably would have been longer if I just used backspace.

I had started out that way but it was taking to long as Sigil would freeze up for a few seconds so I just went into code view and done a shit ton of replaces and repairs.
A majority of the PDF's I have are straight from the publisher or good copies from a certain disclosed source. The TOC shows up in preview or adobe acrobat, when I click on one it brings me to the correct page.

Either way once they are exported, things just don't come out right. The only thing that would fix this would be a good iPad export profile for Calibre. If not something that could compare and contrast the ePUB to the original PDF to see what errors need to be corrected.

*sigh* I have so many books, it would days months to edit them all .
Old 04-09-2010, 06:52 PM   #27
synsoc
synsoc began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Amazing that both Stanza and iBooks share the same bug
Open a ticket and attach one of your RTF files and I'll see if I can find a fix.
x.47 version fixed the issue with RTF conversion. Thanks so much! donation inc!
synsoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #28
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Sorry, but I strongly disagree with you... what is a badly formatted PDF file? I'm using a very well formatted file... I think that the problem is with Calibre.
PDF is designed primarily as a print layout document, until very recently PDF didn't take reflow of text into consideration. Because of this most of the time, regardless of method or program, PDF does not convert to ePub well.

Quote:
A majority of the PDF's I have are straight from the publisher or good copies from a certain disclosed source. The TOC shows up in preview or adobe acrobat, when I click on one it brings me to the correct page.
I still don't understand folk with iPads that have the urge to convert their PDFs to ePub, usually an extremely frustrating endeavor. The iPad should be an ideal device to view PDF files in their native format. Shouldn't table of contents, bookmarks, dictionary be part of some existing or planned PDF viewer App?

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-09-2010 at 07:08 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:23 AM   #29
sk8bit
MR. SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
PDF is designed primarily as a print layout document, until very recently PDF didn't take reflow of text into consideration. Because of this most of the time, regardless of method or program, PDF does not convert to ePub well.

I still don't understand folk with iPads that have the urge to convert their PDFs to ePub, usually an extremely frustrating endeavor. The iPad should be an ideal device to view PDF files in their native format. Shouldn't table of contents, bookmarks, dictionary be part of some existing or planned PDF viewer App?
I understand your argument, but this is something I used to do on my iPhone. Now that I have the iBook app I would like to have the full experience of reading the book the way an eReader would handle it. I used to use Air Sharing Pro to read all of my PDF's but it wasn't a comfortable experience, and at times the software would be very buggy and skip pages while scrolling, etc..

If the iBook was able to read PDF's just like the a Sony eReader could handle PDF's then I would be in the perfect world. But I guess Apple had to stop piracy to some extent....
Old 04-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #30
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
If the iBook was able to read PDF's just like the a Sony eReader could handle PDF's then I would be in the perfect world. But I guess Apple had to stop piracy to some extent....
I'm confused. What does making an Apple product work well with PDFs have to do with piracy?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote