Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-01-2006, 07:16 PM   #16
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paethon
What makes me really mad is how long in takes them to implement trivial features. Usually you would expect such an update to be ready in a week (even with pan&zoom) and not in 2 months.

What are they wasting their time with?
Maybe it isn't as trivial a feature as you would expect.

While xpdf has zoom and pan in it already, it's set up for a much faster display than eInk. The delay probably is in how to make pan and zoom actually do something other than create an unreadable page (because you can't pan fast enough to make it worth while).

As a software professional, I get comments like this all the time from management. "It's a trivial change. Why is it taking so long?" I sigh and list all the issues - the details that they don't want to deal with - that we need to figure out so that their change works correctly and doesn't mess everything else up.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:54 AM   #17
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon

While xpdf has zoom and pan in it already, it's set up for a much faster display than eInk. The delay probably is in how to make pan and zoom actually do something other than create an unreadable page (because you can't pan fast enough to make it worth while).

As a software professional, I get comments like this all the time from management. "It's a trivial change. Why is it taking so long?" I sigh and list all the issues - the details that they don't want to deal with - that we need to figure out so that their change works correctly and doesn't mess everything else up.
I'm guessing that this forum contains lots of "armchair" developers... As another professional developer I can imagine the how hard it must be for the Illiad developers, espcially as they are working on such a high profile project...!
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2006, 06:23 AM   #18
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Ignore me I was mis-remembering and realised just after I hit the post button.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:10 AM   #19
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
I can't understand iRex's announcement policy. First their PR-team [Do they have one? ] says in an optimistic way a new firmware is "on the Horizon", now this release has been delayed.
I have a déją vu, we all know this behaviour already. We remember the chaos in April/May/July. After the deadline of opening of webshop was over, a new date was called, this did happen several times. iRex obviously has learned nothing. Irex please don't deal with us in this way.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:40 PM   #20
Paethon
Paethon began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon

Maybe. But Pan&Zoom isn't in the featurecatalog for 2.7 anyway. So I expect it will come with 2.8 or even later.
So is it realy normal that a company needs 2 months for a softwareupdate with such "features" as a renaming-dialog and a search-dialog?
Paethon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2006, 01:29 PM   #21
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paethon
Maybe. But Pan&Zoom isn't in the featurecatalog for 2.7 anyway. So I expect it will come with 2.8 or even later.
So is it realy normal that a company needs 2 months for a softwareupdate with such "features" as a renaming-dialog and a search-dialog?
"Normal" depends on resources.

How many people do they have working on the software? How many people are able to work on the software without getting in each other's way? What are their priorities? (Remember that iRex's priorities may not be ours.)

We don't have the answer to those questions. So I can't say what's normal or not.

Right now iRex is in a safe time. There's no real competition out there yet (since the Sony's sold out). But they are racing the clock. They need to get their eBook out and established before the big names do. I think that Sony has realized that their eBook is bigger than they thought and will work to get the supply issue corrected. Then you have Amazon's eBook reader on the horizon too.

I think it's safe to say that iRex knows that they need to move fast and are working on the things they think are high priority.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:12 PM   #22
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
There is still an open position for an embedded system developer
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:43 PM   #23
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Well I know from personal experience in feeding PDF's into the iLiad's version of xpdf that they've broken a few things in it already.

The Postscript rendering model, which is the heart of PDF, is for some obtuse and impossible to understand. If you grok (http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...212216,00.html) it, you can do wondrous things. If you don't grok it and you wind up fighting with it: Frankenstein.

Pan and Zoom are easy, very easy, they are biscuits and gravy to Postscript. iRex developers need to read the blue book (http://www-cdf.fnal.gov/offline/Post...0postscript%22) work the examples, read the book again, repeat 3 times.

Then they may find the purple book handy as well (sorry, no freebie from Fermilab here http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Di...705742?ie=UTF8).

This level of understanding is needed so you don't break people's files when you go hacking around in the guts of xpdf.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:13 AM   #24
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
--- --- newsticker --- ---

today iRex technologies announced another open position for an developer, who, in their words, groks xpdf.

--- --- newsticker --- ---

wouldn't it be the cheapest way to pay the xpdf developers to implement the needed features instead of trying to hack (that's what they do atm, i think) in xpdfs codebase?

They know how their program works.
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:46 AM   #25
mori
mori began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Update on release, scheduled for 16/10 : http://www.irextechnologies.com/home

Anybody that signed up for the beta test heard anything yet?
mori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:48 AM   #26
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Talking

There's an announcement that 2.7 will be ready on 16 Oct... But why do I find I'm waiting for Ali's response with more anticipation...?
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:23 AM   #27
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
There's an announcement that 2.7 will be ready on 16 Oct... But why do I find I'm waiting for Ali's response with more anticipation...?
Oops, seems like I have some reputation here.

But I'm not really touched by this announcement. It looks like they're cleaning up things so that everything looks like they're terribly successful, probably for the Frankfurt book fair. So they updated the .nl website, and marketing guy rephrased and reposted the 2.7 announcement.

(Oh - on that very date, Oct 16, I'll be boarding a plane and be working for six weeks in the US. We'll see whether I'll be able to update my Iliad and read this forum then...)
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:29 PM   #28
rlauzon
Wizard

Well, I guess that most of us will find out today if 2.7 is worthwhile. iRex announced on their site that 2.7 is available.

I'll be downloading it as soon as I get home from work today.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:36 PM   #29
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
It is wothwhile.
PDF zoom and pan and landscape mode
That alone rocks.

And page flips on pdf got quite a bit faster.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:36 PM   #30
Malder1
Connoisseur
Malder1 began at the beginning.

I just updated to v2.7 and it works great!
Turning of page works in 1.5 times faster and it takes lesser than 1.5 of second now!
Malder1 is offline   Reply With Quote