Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2006, 06:00 PM   #16
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
I got my I-Sight and I love it! Here are some pictures. Please note that the light is in reality more white and not so blue as my camera believes it is.

Anyway, thanks to it's parabolic reflector, lens and genuine Nichia LED (whatever that may mean) you get a perfect circle of light so almost no more light going trough your bedroom other than the circle. I see marriages being saved. :P

Because it clips on your ear it lights in the direction you are looking at and that works quite well. Of course you can and will need to adjust it so it's in the middle of your eyesight. On a average reading distance the circle won't be so big but hey, you only need light where your eyes are looking at, or not? Of course I don't know if it will work with the Sony Reader because of possible reflections, but I think it's nothing that can't be solved by tilting your Reader a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img0016bc9.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1755   Click image for larger version

Name:	img0017ee6.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1756   Click image for larger version

Name:	img0018uo0.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	1757   Click image for larger version

Name:	img0019rf9.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1758   Click image for larger version

Name:	img0020gz9.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1759   Click image for larger version

Name:	img0023se4.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1760  

Last edited by diabloNL; 10-07-2006 at 03:16 PM.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:08 PM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Thanks for the pix, DiabloNL. I'd decided I wasn't interested in this approach, but you've convinced me to take another look at it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2006, 07:10 PM   #18
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
I tried Flex-Neck Reading Light (link) and was underwelmed. I acutally bought two (one for my wife) but found that I had to use both to have enough light to read. It was also a bit awkward having two things cliped to the reader and it still was not very good.

Today I picked up the I-Sight Ear thingie diabloNL was talking about (found it at Radio Shack - link). This may be good but the problem, as you can see from DialboNL's pictues, is that you can't light up the whole book at once due to a tight focus when it is attached to your ear. I did manage to get it to work from a distance by hanging it on my over the bed lamp. I'll try that tonight and see if it bothers my wife. The reflection concern does not look like it will be a problem to me. The good news is that the batteries for the Flex-Neck fit in the I-Sight so at least they won't go to waste if the I-Sight works out.

I think I want a customized lightwedge very badly. I was tempted to take out my IPAQ last night for it's backlight but that would be giving up!

Last edited by Greg G; 10-06-2006 at 07:16 PM.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:01 PM   #19
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

But that's what I meant Greg G. You don't need the light to lit the whole book. Unless you have a photographic memory that is. :P
Old 10-06-2006, 09:41 PM   #20
Greg G
Groupie

I'll try it but I think I'd get anoyed fast trying to keep the part of the book I'm reading lit up.
Advert
Old 10-07-2006, 02:50 PM   #21
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Nice photo shots! I think I have to try it out first to decide. diablo, can you still wear headphone plugs underneath the i-sight?

Btw, use the attach function to post your pics - this way they won't disappear if your remote host suddenly decides to delete them
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #22
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
Nice photo shots! I think I have to try it out first to decide. diablo, can you still wear headphone plugs underneath the i-sight?

Btw, use the attach function to post your pics - this way they won't disappear if your remote host suddenly decides to delete them
Just tried in and it's no problem as long as they are normal earplugs and not this Sony Ericsson kind of earplug because thos are huge!
Old 10-07-2006, 06:38 PM   #23
Greg G
Groupie

Post deleted by mistake

Last edited by Greg G; 10-08-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:32 PM   #24
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
The Fliplight I have isn't very usable because it casts a circular reflection where the light is the brightest requiring you to tilt the Reader at a certain angle to avoid the reflection. For a second night, I gave up and grabbed my IPAQ.

I am getting disheartened. I really love the size and the shape of the Reader, but the troubles of getting content onto the reader and reading at night is really frustrating me.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:37 PM   #25
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
simple and cheap solution is to just blindfold your partner.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 12:02 AM   #26
Greg G
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultim8fury
Thanks for the laugh I think I'll save that for a last resort...
Old 10-08-2006, 05:15 AM   #27
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultim8fury
And I just thought you'd do this after you read a book
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:18 AM   #28
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
Only on special occasions
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:00 PM   #29
Greg G
Groupie

The Brookstone beanbag light (link) works well enough to solve the problem. I read with it last night and while it is not as bright as the I-Sight it did the job. What I would really like is the I-Sight light hooked to the beanbag. I suppose I can rig something up but until a lightwedge version is created I think I'm good to go.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:06 PM   #30
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
How hard is the beanbag light to reposition? I move around when I read, changing positions every 20-30 minutes or so. It looks nice, but if I have to futz with it for 1-2 minutes everytime I move it's not a good fit for me. How focused is the light?
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote