Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #16
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
It was announced on Tor.com that it was going to be there - and in the comments thread on this post someone mentioned having emailed a screenshot from their kindle. (Comment #9), and since Tor didn't sell it DRM free it would have had to come from Amazon.
Okay. That's good enough for me.

I've been spot checking publishers from the Holtzbrink Wiki page, and while there isn't a lot of ebooks on there, not very many are showing anything hinky. Let's keep an eye on it, though.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:44 PM   #17
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
The NYT has the story

Quote:
.........the disappearance is the result of an disagreement between Amazon.com and book publishers that has been brewing for the last year. Macmillan, like other publishers, has asked Amazon to raise to the price of e-books from $9.99 to around $15.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...-disagreement/
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 11:46 PM   #18
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
From the NYT Blog clarifying the situation; the fun of ebook price wars between the publishers and Amazon is starting!

Amazon Pulls Macmillan Books Over E-book Price Disagreement
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:46 PM   #19
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
This just got interesting.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:47 PM   #20
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Wow. If true, that totally puts a different spin on the Walt Mossberg-Steve Jobs "chat" after the iPad event, where Mossberg mentioned the $14 rumored price of iBooks vs. the $10 Amazon price, and Jobs replied rather testily that they'll cost the same...everyone assumed Jobs meant iBooks would be $10-but maybe...
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 01:04 AM   #21
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Well I guess tomorrow we get to find whose finger's on the trigger...
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:16 AM   #22
BWhite
Connoisseur
BWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PSP, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Well I guess tomorrow we get to find whose finger's on the trigger...
Hmmm. This week it sounds like everyone's finger is on the trigger...

MacMillan versus Amazon (price wars)

Apple versus Amazon (eReader market)

Adobe versus Apple (flash non-support)

Apple versus Fujitsu (iPad name)
BWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:20 AM   #23
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
In this particular dispute Either side might be doing it...
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:22 AM   #24
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
This stuff just reminds me how crazy it is...the authors (like Scalzi) find out 2nd or 3rd hand that their books are no longer for sale somewhere they just assumed they would be...and they don't know really who to ask why.
Um...yes. I just found out from this thread that my newly-published Tor paperback of Sunborn is no longer available directly from Amazon. (I just checked.) Just what I need, when I'm trying to get the word out to potential readers.

I had been annoying my editor with periodic questions about when a Kindle version would appear, but I guess that's a moot point for now.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:26 AM   #25
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
It's all over the Kindle forums... The pulled books are also missing from Amazon.com's wish lists.
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:59 AM   #26
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Hmm.. I just bought The Eye of the World night before last. Now a search brings a page with all of Jordan's Kindle books marked "Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available."

Guess I'd better not delete it..
The ebooks which I've bought that have now been pulled are still available to download from the 'Manage Your Kindle' page so I wouldn't be too worried. However backing-up your ebooks (after stripping the DRM) is always a good precaution.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:20 AM   #27
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieClarken View Post
The ebooks which I've bought that have now been pulled are still available to download from the 'Manage Your Kindle' page so I wouldn't be too worried. However backing-up your ebooks (after stripping the DRM) is always a good precaution.
By the sounds of the grumblings on other forums, it seems to be affecting USA residents .
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:45 AM   #28
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
http://gizmodo.com/5460203/the-apple...acmillan-books

Amazon pulling paper books as well as digital? Gutsy move.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:52 AM   #29
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Personally, I could handle it if they set the default e-price for new-release hardcovers to $15, that's what Baen does with their E-Arcs. However, if they're setting e-books of hardcovers to $15 then they should set e-books of paperbacks closer to $5.

I've rarely felt ripped off by the e-price of a book that's still in hardcover, because even when dead tree is discounted and cheaper, the e-version is usually at least lower than list. It's when the e-version is damn near double the list price of dead tree, like a $15 e-book for a $7 or $8 paperback that I get angry.

Sure does look interesting though.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:01 AM   #30
GJN
Guilty Bystander
GJN began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro, Kindle, iPad, and other gadgets
Is Amazon doing the pulling or is Macmillan/Holtzbrinck? Anyone know?
GJN is offline   Reply With Quote