Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-30-2010, 10:42 PM   #16
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Well, Calibre has been working perfectly since I disabled the spelling checker for this app. I've been flogging it several hours today with nary a glitch. I think it's safe to assume I've found the source of the problem.

Interesting.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:35 AM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Glad you got it sorted, though it is weird, I agree.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #18
cantovento
cantovento began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Angry

After converting my book from WORD to pdf and then from pdf to epub with calibre 0.7.15 , I edited it in sigil 0.2.4. I can view it in calibre, but not "send to device". There is no error msg, it simply sits.
cantovento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #19
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Assuming that you are trying to send the book to iBooks on your iPhone, have you done a "connect to iTunes" before trying the Send to Device?

Just for interest if you started with Word, why did you go through the PDF stage? PDF is notoriously difficult to do a good conversion on. If starting with Word the best results are normally achieved by using the Save As Web Page (filtered) option and then loVing that into calibre for the conversion to ePub.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #20
MyJewishSoul
MyJewishSoul began at the beginning.

Device: Rooted Nook Color (Phiremod 6), Kindle, iPad 2
I know that this an old thread but I hate Calibre so much that I just have to vent here. Every time I use this sorry excuse for a program it freezes up and I have to go to task manager to close it. I have used 3 different high performance computers and on each one I experience 'not responding' error with everything I attempt. Today, I tried for over an hour to remove tags, each time it froze up and I had to force close. I have uninstalled and reinstalled 5 times.
MyJewishSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #21
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJewishSoul View Post
I know that this an old thread but ~ I just have to vent here.
It is good your just venting or one of the 1 million plus folks that use calibre daily without difficulty might feel the need to try and help you get past your problems.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I know that this an old thread but I hate Calibre so much that I just have to vent here. Every time I use this sorry excuse for a program it freezes up and I have to go to task manager to close it. I have used 3 different high performance computers and on each one I experience 'not responding' error with everything I attempt. Today, I tried for over an hour to remove tags, each time it froze up and I had to force close. I have uninstalled and reinstalled 5 times.
Let us see.
3 Anti Virus programs, all scanning everything.
256M RAM and 6 other programs open, one of which is a Movie playing.
6 torrents downloading
a hard disk that has not been defragged in the last year.
The fins are clogged with cat hair or dust bunnies
Calibre runs on my: 2GHz Celeron, 3Ghz Pentium, 1.9GHz Athelon, 2.4GHz Turion (see OS list in my sig)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #23
MyJewishSoul

Okay, fair enough.
Please tell me why I cannot complete a simple task like removing tags without the inevitable 'not responding' error.

Here are my PC's specs.
PROCESSOR- Intel Core i7-970 Six Core Processor, 3.23GHz, 12MB Cache
OPERATING SYSTEM- Windows 7 Ultimate, 64bit
MEMORY- 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz
VIDEO CARD- Dual 2GB ATI Radeon HD 6950 - ATI CrossFireX Enabled
HARD DRIVE- 1TB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 7,200RPM, 32MB Cache HDD

Last edited by MyJewishSoul; 06-18-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #24
MyJewishSoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Let us see.
3 Anti Virus programs, all scanning everything.
256M RAM and 6 other programs open, one of which is a Movie playing.
6 torrents downloading
a hard disk that has not been defragged in the last year.
The fins are clogged with cat hair or dust bunnies
Calibre runs on my: 2GHz Celeron, 3Ghz Pentium, 1.9GHz Athelon, 2.4GHz Turion (see OS list in my sig)
Thank you for your response, but I'm not a computer noob, I'm an IT professional who knows how to keep my PC running smoothly.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #25
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Okay, fair enough.
Please tell me why I cannot complete a simple task like removing tags without the inevitable 'not responding' error.

Here are my PC's specs.
PROCESSOR- Intel Core i7-970 Six Core Processor, 3.23GHz, 12MB Cache
OPERATING SYSTEM- Windows 7 Ultimate, 64bit
MEMORY- 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz
VIDEO CARD- Dual 2GB ATI Radeon HD 6950 - ATI CrossFireX Enabled
HARD DRIVE- 1TB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 7,200RPM, 32MB Cache HDD
Calibre has in excess of 3 million users. As dwanthny pointed out, some large number of these people delete tags every day, sometimes even (gasp) twice a day, without problems. That sort-of indicates that the problem is on your end. But hey, you are an IT professional with an attitude, so that can't be the case. All of these other users must be delusional, happily imagining that calibre works.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #26
MyJewishSoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Calibre has in excess of 3 million users. As dwanthny pointed out, some large number of these people delete tags every day, sometimes even (gasp) twice a day, without problems. That sort-of indicates that the problem is on your end. But hey, you are an IT professional with an attitude, so that can't be the case. All of these other users must be delusional, happily imagining that calibre works.
What part of what I said made you think I had an attitude? [Language deleted - MODERATOR]

Google Search
calibre [Language deleted - MODERATOR]
About 1,300,000 results (0.20 seconds) That's slightly less than half of the "excess of 3 million users."

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-18-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #27
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hmmm perhaps your post starting with "sorry excuse for a program" and going downhill from there. You will not be missed.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #28
MyJewishSoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Hmmm perhaps your post starting with "sorry excuse for a program" and going downhill from there. You will not be missed.

[Offensive language deleted. - MODERAT0R]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-18-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #29
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Piss off, wanker.
@Kiwidude, he edited his insult of me from 'wanker' to 'moron'. Must have been so he could use it on you, you lucky dog.

I like the use of google search numbers as evidence. Lets see...

search: being alive sucks. Hits: About 74,300,000 results (0.21 seconds)
search: world peace sucks. Hits: About 3,640,000 results (0.22 seconds)
search: calibre sucks. Hits: About 1,290,000 results (0.18 seconds).

Using the proposed standard of evidence, we can conclude that being alive is around 20 times worse than world peace, and some 60 times worse than calibre. Fascinating!
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #30
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Using the proposed standard of evidence, we can conclude that being alive is around 20 times worse than world peace, and some 60 times worse than calibre. Fascinating!
I knew calibre was popular, but this is too much
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote