Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-26-2009, 06:42 PM   #16
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The article is factually correct...

And since they are the ones pushing for its adoption as a counter to big bad evil Amazon they are in fact "developing the epub standard".

Nothing to fault the author for, other than not fully documenting his facts.
But the facts, he's got them right.
The article didn't state that Adobe was "developing the ePub standard".
The article says "The ePUB standard, developed by Adobe.." which is not a fact, and the writer did not get it right.

They did not develop the ePub standard. This isn't a matter of semantics, it is a matter of proper credit and attribution, and laziness/lack of research on the part of the Engadget writer.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #17
GizmoPlanet
GizmoPlanet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
I seem to recall recently reading an article in a Canadian newspaper that EPUB was developed by IDPF, which is a digital publishing organization located in Toronto, Canada.

That said, I don't doubt for a minute that Adobe didn't have substantial say (or at least influence) in the development of the format.
GizmoPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 07:36 PM   #18
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Considering how frequently Engadget writers fumble with facts, I wouldn't give them much credit here.
It's the same with all blog driven tech journalism. The deadlines are always incredibly short, they won't fact check things they are 'unsure' about. Someone gave the author that misinformation and because he trusted the source he went with it.

I find engadget to be better than sites like PC world who usually post whatever drivel drives web traffic (usually mac vs pc articles)
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:54 PM   #19
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoPlanet View Post
I seem to recall recently reading an article in a Canadian newspaper that EPUB was developed by IDPF, which is a digital publishing organization located in Toronto, Canada.

That said, I don't doubt for a minute that Adobe didn't have substantial say (or at least influence) in the development of the format.
IDPF is the International Digital Publishing Forum. It's a trade group composed of members of the industry, and headquartered in Toronto.

The IDPF home page is here: http://www.openebook.org/

The member list is here: http://www.openebook.org/membership/currentmembers.asp

Adobe is a corporate member, and has a lot of clout in the industry and influence over what IDPF produces.

EPUB is an outgrowth of the Open eBook Publication Structure or "OEB", originally produced in 1999.

My impression is that Adobe was a major driver behind the changes that resulted in EPUB, but I can't document it.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote