Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
How much did you have to pay?

I bought from Waterstones UK for £9.49 which is the same price as the Hardback (a 50% 'discount')

While a lot of places are selling the book at silly prices (I think Amazon are selling for £4.99), I think that £9.49 is a reasonable price and am glad the E-book price reflected this. I am hoping that this is a way forward for Waterstones who in the past I have slated for their unreasonable prices...
I bought mine from Amazon at £4.99. Arrived in this morning's post.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:16 PM   #17
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
You bought a physical copy??
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yep. Cheaper, and I can re-sell it after I've finished it .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #19
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Fairy Nuff
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #20
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've bought it too. Dan Brown isn't "great literature", but he's always a "good read".
In my opinion a "good read" is by definition "great literature" and I agree Dan Brown's previous books have been good reads.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #21
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
I have asked my local library whether they would be likely to do e-books.

About 6 months ago they said they had no plans. More recently, they just ignored me...
If you've got any connection with Essex, you should be able to join the Essex Online library @ http://essex.bookaisle.com/ via their online registration.

You can then use the ELAN number they give you without needing to physically visit a library to get a card... I don't know how many copies of the new book they have though, although they did get at least one, as I've got it out on loan from there now!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #22
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Count me in... got it today. I have several trips all over... need stuff to read. Got some 15 books in the queue.
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #23
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I'm strong willed and won't get caught up in the excitement and buy this book. I won't buy it because everybody else is. No sir!

Okay, okay, I just bought it. But I could have resisted it.

Damn.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #24
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
At this point, it seems a lot of us have purchased the title so maybe we should make a special edition MR book club selection.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #25
notsure
Zealot
notsure has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350
I just got it but don't know when I'll read it.

There are currently about 13 books in the queue ahead of it, haven't decided if that's a good or bad thing yet.
notsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #26
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
The prices you guys are giving are confusing me because I've found the ebook for more than 40% less than the hardback (On Amazon the p-book is $16.17 and I've found the ebook at Books on Board for $9.45 and the Sony Store for $9.99). I don't understand paying hardback prices for an ebook.

I hate that I like to read this tripe, but I admit it - sometimes I do.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #27
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
The prices you guys are giving are confusing me because I've found the ebook for more than 40% less than the hardback (On Amazon the p-book is $16.17 and I've found the ebook at Books on Board for $9.45 and the Sony Store for $9.99). I don't understand paying hardback prices for an ebook.

I hate that I like to read this tripe, but I admit it - sometimes I do.
I got mine from the Sony Store for $9.99.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:53 AM   #28
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Hya Pie: I paid the same as you did (just under £10) for the ebook -- same as the hardback price at Waterstones, I think, but I've heard of £5 orders in some supermarkets. Seems some high street retailers are buying their stock from supermarkets because it's cheaper than direct from the distributor. And, of course, in this particular case, they don't have to worry about waiving the sale-or-return thing.

By the way, I'm at page 400 of the book now, and I'm disappointed. There's no suspension of disbelief, no controversy, characters are more wooden than ever and the situation itself is contrived and unlikely. Brown has fallen flat with this one, I think. I can hardly wait not to get back to it. N
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:50 PM   #29
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Hya Pie: I paid the same as you did (just under £10) for the ebook -- same as the hardback price at Waterstones, I think, but I've heard of £5 orders in some supermarkets. Seems some high street retailers are buying their stock from supermarkets because it's cheaper than direct from the distributor. And, of course, in this particular case, they don't have to worry about waiving the sale-or-return thing.
A lot of independent bookshops in the uk ended up doing that with other books too such as the last harry potter due to how low the supermarket prices were.

I ended up buying it, I'd just finished the series I was reading and under $10 seemed like a bargain.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #30
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
At 25% today. So far, I'm still interested. I appreciate the fact that the ebook publisher realized that the images were important to the story as well. I found some of the graphics attached to it easy to see and understand..and they look like actual images.

Yay for my Kindle handling the gray shaded images
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote