Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #16
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
If he wants you to buy a copy after getting the free copy, it isn't really free, is it? Kind of a strange request.
I dont find that strange. After reading Boyd Morrison's books I bought all 3 of them from Amazon.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #17
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Crap. Only ePub and PDF. Time to convert
Advert
Old 09-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #18
rcuadro
Wizard

Did anyone else notice than when you add the book to calibre it already has a 5 star rating
lol
Old 09-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #19
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Hello and Welcome to MR, Lord Raiden. Stick around and peek into the various forums (well, we would enjoy hearing from you also).

Careful, as it can become addicting.

for sharing your work with us..

We have a few other writers on MR **hint, check out my signature for just a few of them**
Too late; you've already touched this tar baby and will soon learn resistance is futile. Anyway, welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #20
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I'd like to suggest that you consider selling the book (and all your books) through Fictionwise. The Oort Perimeter sounds interesting and if I enjoy the writing, I would be interested in buying more books written by you, but I won't buy anything from Amazon. I would be interested in buying, however, via Fictionwise in multiformat. I don't doubt that there are others on MR who also would like to be able to access your non-free books through etailers other than Amazon.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #21
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I'd like to suggest that you consider selling the book (and all your books) through Fictionwise. The Oort Perimeter sounds interesting and if I enjoy the writing, I would be interested in buying more books written by you, but I won't buy anything from Amazon. I would be interested in buying, however, via Fictionwise in multiformat. I don't doubt that there are others on MR who also would like to be able to access your non-free books through etailers other than Amazon.
He could maybe go through ereads or somebody like that to do FW Multi, but unless something's changed Fictionwise requires 25 or more titles by at least five different established, professional authors in order to do Multiformat with them. The only way besides Amazon I can think of would be to do it yourself like Steve Jordan or to go through Smashwords (which could also get them listed through B&N). I don't know what requirements might be to hookup with Webscriptions.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:25 PM   #22
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
He could maybe go through ereads or somebody like that to do FW Multi, but unless something's changed Fictionwise requires 25 or more titles by at least five different established, professional authors in order to do Multiformat with them.
Fictionwise requires 10 published titles + exclusivity--if you sell at FW, you can't offer them at your website or Smashwords.

Fictionwise will sell your works if you can offer a minimum of 10 reprints that are either novels published by established print publishers...The Fictionwise author contract is exclusive--this means that electronic copies of your works must not be available for sale anywhere else on the internet for the duration of the contract.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #23
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Ah, didn't see that only the part about publishers.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:08 AM   #24
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
He could maybe go through ereads or somebody like that to do FW Multi, but unless something's changed Fictionwise requires 25 or more titles by at least five different established, professional authors in order to do Multiformat with them. The only way besides Amazon I can think of would be to do it yourself like Steve Jordan or to go through Smashwords (which could also get them listed through B&N). I don't know what requirements might be to hookup with Webscriptions.
Except if published through smashwords the files will undoubtedly somehow become complete garbage and then nobody will be able to read them.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:11 AM   #25
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
If it's being released under CreativeCommons, someone else could tweak the formatting & release that version.
Careful, that is not implied by simply stating "Creative commons" there are variations of CC licenses that do not allow people to derive works (which is what you would be doing by editing it and distributing it)
Old 09-14-2009, 10:18 AM   #26
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheryjensen View Post
Except if published through smashwords the files will undoubtedly somehow become complete garbage and then nobody will be able to read them.
Christine is having problems on her PC - it/she keeps trying to save the html page of which revision to choose as an ebook file (PDF/EPUB/etc). The files themselves are not corrupted. I tested some of the same books she complained about and the link she gives isn't the actual book, it's the revision page (save that html as a PDF and yes, it won't look pretty).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:13 AM   #27
zacheryjensen
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Christine is having problems on her PC - it/she keeps trying to save the html page of which revision to choose as an ebook file (PDF/EPUB/etc). The files themselves are not corrupted. I tested some of the same books she complained about and the link she gives isn't the actual book, it's the revision page (save that html as a PDF and yes, it won't look pretty).
You are correct. I actually explained the technical cause on her site a few days ago. I should've come here to rescind my objection but forgot. Oh well. At least you pointed out my error here
Old 09-18-2009, 11:14 AM   #28
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Thanks for the input guys. For right now, Amazon is, at least from what I've observed, the best place to self publish this novel right now. I'm hoping though to eventually get a regular mainstream publisher like Baen, Bantam or someone like that.

And for those of you who won't buy from Amazon (at least directly anyways), but still want to print copy, you can get a print copy directly from me (I get them from Amazon at cost, so they don't get a dime off my book if I order directly from them, plus you can get it signed! ) if you like.

Of course, as mentioned before, if you want to buy it, but don't want the physical print copy, then you can just shoot me a few bucks via paypay (whatever you think it's worth to you) instead.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:53 PM   #29
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
And for those of you who won't buy from Amazon (at least directly anyways), but still want to print copy, you can get a print copy directly from me (I get them from Amazon at cost, so they don't get a dime off my book if I order directly from them, plus you can get it signed! ) if you like.
Keep in mind that it's often not a matter of "won't buy from Amazon," but "Amazon won't sell it to me."

Amazon won't sell ebooks to people outside the US, and it won't sell them to people who don't own very specific expensive hardware. Selling your ebook only through Amazon is like selling a physical book only through Wal-Mart--sure, it covers a lot of the market, but many people just can't shop there, aside from any store preferences other people have.

(I did notice that you'd make arrangements for people who want the ebook but can't deal w/Amazon, and thank you. Just wanted to point out that the objections to Amazon aren't all or even mostly based on shopping preferences.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #30
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
lol. Oh, I refuse to sell my ebook through Amazon. They format lock you, and foist upon you a DRM laidened nightmare. Nope, I won't do that. Thus why I've given away the ebook. I am only selling the print version. and that just happens to be done through Amazon. So it sidesteps all their DRM evil.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote