Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2009, 04:11 AM   #16
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkodk View Post
I have previously read on dragonmount that Tor Books would like to publish it for the Kindle.
Hopefully they release it both for kindle and epub, ignoring one half of the market or the other would be stupid and just encourage piracy.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #17
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I just hope that that it won't be a Kindle only release.
I have previously read on dragonmount that Tor Books would like to publish it for the Kindle.
I doubt it will be.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #18
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
This is great news since I long since I fully intend to reread the series before the last book comes out. I have the first 5 or so in PB but the bindings are coming apart and they are huge so I will be much happier reading them electronically.

Of course I understand that the "last book" is now a three parter and this won't be finished until 2011 so I still have time to wait since I have no intention of starting until this series is finally finished. By that time I will probably have yet another reading device with some other format that is touted to be the next best thing so I won't worry about the Kindle only possibility at this point.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:48 PM   #19
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Thought I would bump this since the prologue is now out with versions on both amazon and the sony bookstores among others.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #20
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Thought I would bump this since the prologue is now out with versions on both amazon and the sony bookstores among others.
I can't see paying for what's ultimately an excerpt, but for those that want to there are links to the stores selling it on this page...
http://www.tor.com/gatheringstorm/prologue
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #21
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
This is great news since I long since I fully intend to reread the series before the last book comes out. I have the first 5 or so in PB but the bindings are coming apart and they are huge so I will be much happier reading them electronically.
I know what you are saying about the size. I'm reading the series for the first time, only just finishing book 6 the other day. Physically they are too thick and heavy to hold comfortably. I don't like hardcover books but the WoT series I can see would be easier to read as hardcover than paperback.

I love the idea of getting them electronically (havent bought my ereader yet but am soon).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #22
lkodk
Connoisseur
lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: PRS-505 + PRS-600 + PRS-T1 + Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Hopefully they release it both for kindle and epub, ignoring one half of the market or the other would be stupid and just encourage piracy.
Well they managed to ignore a huge market. Not by using kindle only, but by imposing geographical restrictions on epub.... AAARGH!
That is totally ridiculous on books that have been available in paperback all over the world for years.

Last edited by lkodk; 10-27-2009 at 11:31 AM.
lkodk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #23
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Well they managed to ignore a huge market. Not by using kindle only, but by imposing geographical restrictions on epub.... AAARGH!
That is totally ridiculous on books that have been available in paperback all over the world for years.
It's not Kindle only, it's also at Sony and B&N, but is of course Geo restricted.

It is out also in the UK put out by the UK publisher. WH Smith has it...
http://ebooks.whsmith.co.uk/D793D64B...3-456D8A19922F

...in fact it looks like UK/European customers get access to all/most of the series already.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #24
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Found it in the Sony store - $10.50 (discounted from $15.00) for a book that has been in paperback for nineteen years and can probably be found in any used bookstore for less than four dollars.

I guess they really don't get it and probably never will.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #25
lkodk
Connoisseur
lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
...in fact it looks like UK/European customers get access to all/most of the series already.
Nope. BoB, WHSmith and B&N won't sell to my country
Old 10-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #26
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Nope. BoB, WHSmith and B&N won't sell to my country
That sucks. I guess I figured the UK publisher's (Orbit) rights would cover English language sales for the rest of Europe as well.

My only other thought would be Waterstones just in case they don't enforce geo restrictions as thoroughly.

http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...world/3863547/
Old 10-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #27
lkodk
Connoisseur

Thanks AnemicOak.
Had not thought about trying Waterstones. And they were willing to business with me.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:04 PM   #28
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Leave it to Amazon to confuse things! There are two editions of The Eye of the World in the Kindle store.

http://www.amazon.com/Eye-World-ebook/dp/B002U3CCYM/
# Format: Kindle Edition
# File Size: 1934 KB
# Print Length: 688 pages
# Publisher: Tor Books; 1st edition (October 27, 2009)
# Sold by: Amazon Digital Services
# Language: English
# ASIN: B002U3CCYM

http://www.amazon.com/Eye-World-ebook/dp/B002UFUMHO/
# ASIN: B002UFUMHO

Except for the ASIN and the displayed cover art -- which might not be the cover art actually in the book -- they appear to be the same. I'm going to ask for samples of both & see if I can tell what's different about them.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #29
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Leave it to Amazon to confuse things! There are two editions of The Eye of the World in the Kindle store.

http://www.amazon.com/Eye-World-ebook/dp/B002U3CCYM/
# ASIN: B002U3CCYM

http://www.amazon.com/Eye-World-ebook/dp/B002UFUMHO/
# ASIN: B002UFUMHO

Except for the ASIN and the displayed cover art -- which might not be the cover art actually in the book -- they appear to be the same. I'm going to ask for samples of both & see if I can tell what's different about them.
Looks like maybe someone from Tor uploaded one and forgot to include the new cover they had made for the ebook.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #30
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I'm really happy to see that these are finally in ebook format. my household over the years has probably already purchased an average of 5 copies of each of these books, so paying another 10 bucks kind of grates, but oh well... at least these are some more barbell sized books I don't need to lug around!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote