Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 10-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #16
thebigalphamale
thebigalphamale began at the beginning.

Device: u820, asus t91, eee pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo View Post
I just bought a T91 and I have to admit, I'm loving it more than my Sony Reader and Smartq7. I love being able to read any file format without having to worry about converting!
I tested a couple of comics using comicrack and cddisplay and it looks amazing..
Also the weight isn't an issue to me, I'm not looking for something to throw in my backpack, just a reading device to use while at home
how is the speed of the asus t91 (you have vista 1gb ram?) is it fairly quick or fairly slow for tasks other than being an ebook reader???? i was on the fence and heard some negative reviews and so i was awaiting the archos 9 release to compare to.... thanks
thebigalphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #17
Taboo
Taboo began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q, PRS 505, Asus T91
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigalphamale View Post
how is the speed of the asus t91 (you have vista 1gb ram?) is it fairly quick or fairly slow for tasks other than being an ebook reader???? i was on the fence and heard some negative reviews and so i was awaiting the archos 9 release to compare to.... thanks
It comes with Xp and 1gb of ram, but I upgraded to Windows 7 and 2gb ram. Since upgrading I haven't had any problems with the speed, but I mostly use it for webbrowsing, comics and books.
I was also planning on buying an archos 9, but felt that having a keyboard would be a bonus.
Also from what Ive read most of the negative reviews are from people who have XP installed.
Taboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #18
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
On another thread I mentioned I was going for the Viliv S7 but I had an eye on the T91 for a while and the more I read about it the more i want one specially after watching this link and this month Asus is bringing out a Multitouch version

Last edited by Gibbo; 11-17-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #19
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarie View Post
Yes, it dims down quite low. Also, after your post, I played around with Mobipocket Reader, turning the background color light purple with black text, which makes it very easy on the eyes. A couple of other benefits: I can download directly to the device without the transfer step like on my Cybook, AND the screen can be rotated in all four directions, so you can set it up easel-like on the table while reading, tapping the screen to turn the page. I think I'm really going to like this thing.
Could you please post a few pics of the Mobi reader and any other reader programs you might have installed. I wounder how the Kindle PC application might look like
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #20
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
I'm posting from my T91MT right now. The Kindle for PC app has an unfortunate problem that make it unsuitable for use on a netbook in portrait mode. The Window has a minimum width that prevents the book from being completely displayed.

I've tried several readers and, so far, the one I like best is FBreader. Mobipocket is nice but it would be better if I could adjust the size of the next/last page buttons. I haven't tried them all yet but from what I did try

Stanza - takes FOREVER to load a 1.5mb book, fbreader loads it right up
uBook 2010 - meh
Kindle for PC - see above
B&N eReader - if I can figure out how to get my own books into it, without uploading them to a site, this would be my fave. The touch support is fantastic. I'll put some more effort in to this soon
Mobipocket - it's not bad, but it's not quite there
Calibre - meh, but reading isn't really what it's for

most readers don't support rotate, which is a pain but easy enough to work around

Last edited by Houndx; 11-18-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #21
DerekTheGeek
DerekTheGeek began at the beginning.

Device: None
Use with Safari Books Online

I am considering purchasing this today primarily for reading on the web. I have a subscription to Safari Books Online and have been looking for a good device to read the online content.

How do you like it for web content? If you have time would you mind trying out the sample URL for Safari Books Online (http://my.safaribooksonline.com/0596007124) and letting us know what you think?

What do you think of the build quality? Thanks!
DerekTheGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:31 AM   #22
Houndx
Groupie

The build quality is fantastic. I have a few very minor complaints. So long as you don't mind tweaking windows to get everything right, it's a great device. For instance, I just figured out how to add books to eReader(and B&N eReader) but it lacks a rotate setting. So, I've added a .bat file to rotate the screen automatically then rotate back when I close it.

"C:\Program Files\iRotate\iRotate.exe" /rotate=270
start /wait "" "C:\Program Files\Palm Digital Media\eReader\eReader.exe"
"C:\Program Files\iRotate\iRotate.exe" /rotate=0

That said, if you're hoping to read on that web page in portrait mode then it won't work imo. The page has a minimum width of about double the portrait screen width. If you want to read in landscape it's ok but not great.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #23
DerekTheGeek

Thanks for taking the time to try out that web page. I figure I would have to read the content in landscape though I would prefer portrait. Nice to hear the build quality is so good. Thanks again!
Old 11-18-2009, 10:09 AM   #24
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
You know, that's the first netbook I'd like to have. I don't like a keyboard constantly while reading, but it would be nice at other times. I'd also like a device with XP or W7 on it (more flexibility regarding software).

Sadly, I'm broke too...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #25
Houndx
Groupie

For just reading, I feel that the Smart Q7, that my wife is now using, is a superior device. It's half the weight, has better battery life and has the best reader software I've found. Alreader2+ for WinCE is, simply, great.

eReader/B&N eReader is very nice and just lacks a few formatting options that would make it better than Alreader2+. I've just finished trying out several more readers and none of them were worth it.

Has anyone else using a tablet found a favorite reader? So far my order of preference is eReader->FBreader->Mobipocket Any of these could go from ok to awesome with a few minor changes
Old 11-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #26
DerekTheGeek

Q7 and the web?

How do you find web pages render on the Q7? I looked at it as a solution for reading the mobile version of Safari Books Online but thought the screen resolution might be too small. It's size and form factor are certainly appealing. Not to mention the price.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #27
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndx View Post
For just reading, I feel that the Smart Q7, that my wife is now using, is a superior device. It's half the weight, has better battery life and has the best reader software I've found. Alreader2+ for WinCE is, simply, great.

eReader/B&N eReader is very nice and just lacks a few formatting options that would make it better than Alreader2+. I've just finished trying out several more readers and none of them were worth it.

Has anyone else using a tablet found a favorite reader? So far my order of preference is eReader->FBreader->Mobipocket Any of these could go from ok to awesome with a few minor changes
I've yet to come across a (WinMobile/WinCE) reader that allows me to take annotations in my book, beside Mobipocket. I couldn't get ereader to work in my JE100... (And Alreader+ doesn't read mobipocket, which is 99% of my library)

Last edited by Sweetpea; 11-18-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #28
Houndx
Groupie

They render fine, if a bit slowly. Personally I wouldn't use a SmartQ for any extended web work/reading.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #29
Houndx
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I've yet to come across a (WinMobile/WinCE) reader that allows me to take annotations in my book, beside Mobipocket. I couldn't get ereader to work in my JE100...
I was talking about Windows 7/Vista/XP readers up there. I'm more concerned about finding a reader that I can configure to look good and control easily than taking notes.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #30
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndx View Post
I was talking about Windows 7/Vista/XP readers up there. I'm more concerned about finding a reader that I can configure to look good and control easily than taking notes.
The same goes for XP/W7 devices. I tried various readers on my PC, and none delivered what I wanted. Alreader doesn't read my books, ubook is waaaaay too difficult to set up, ereader doesn't read my books (or only a few of them anyway), fbreader doesn't read my books... So, it's mobipocket that I like using, even though it has several flaws (both the windows as the mobile version) that I'd love to see solved but know they'll never be solved (folder support anybody?) But it's simple to use, can read my files and lets me do what I'd like to do regarding annotations.

(oh, and you mentioned your Q7, hence my remarks about WinCE)