Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
I haven't read any of the books!

Didn't realize there were so many. Though, I guess I should have considering how many Star Wars novels I see at the bookstore.
A few people I know who do read Star Wars agree that Star Wars is a bit stagnant. All it is is "How can we get the Jedi in trouble yet again?"

Star Trek is moving forward and that's good.

But yes, there are a lot of Star Trek books. And I do think they get the shaft at most book stores.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #17
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
I listened to an audio Star Trek book once and it was wonderful with great sound effects and music! I'll have to try a book now...
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #18
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A few people I know who do read Star Wars agree that Star Wars is a bit stagnant. All it is is "How can we get the Jedi in trouble yet again?"

Star Trek is moving forward and that's good.

But yes, there are a lot of Star Trek books. And I do think they get the shaft at most book stores.
I liked the Timothy Zahn trilogy and the Keven J. Anderson books but after a certain point they just kept releasing even more books! and they weren't nearly as interesting and my tastes in fiction weren't so picky back when I was 16 and 17 either.

Star Trek has a wide cast of interesting characters and potential stories. it's kind of like stargate in that regard.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
I liked the Timothy Zahn trilogy and the Keven J. Anderson books but after a certain point they just kept releasing even more books! and they weren't nearly as interesting and my tastes in fiction weren't so picky back when I was 16 and 17 either.

Star Trek has a wide cast of interesting characters and potential stories. it's kind of like stargate in that regard.
And Star Trek has even branched out to new series with characters not seen in the TV series. The potiential is there for you to find something you will like.

I also recommend the entire Vanguard series as it takes place in the TOS timeline but is all new. The first one does have a cameo of the Enterprise, but the others do not.

Harbinger (Vanguard #1)
Summon the Thunder (Vanguard #2)
Reap the Whirlwind (Vanguard #3)
Open Secrets (Vanguard #4)
Old 07-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And Star Trek has even branched out to new series with characters not seen in the TV series. The potiential is there for you to find something you will like.
Yes, I like the New Frontier ones. They are all written by Peter David so they are very consistent in quality and story line.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2009, 04:00 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, I like the New Frontier ones. They are all written by Peter David so they are very consistent in quality and story line.

BOb
I'm up to #9 in the NF series. Too much else to read to get back to it yet. I plan to in August read #9. #9 is Excaliber: Requiem.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #22
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Are there any "non-fiction" Star Trek eBooks?

Like "The Klingon Way" or "The Legends of the Ferengi" or "The Star Trek Encyclopedia" or similar stuff?

I'm yet to find anything like that, but I'd be far more interested in it than the stuff that is available.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:47 PM   #23
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've found "Legends of the Ferengi" on Fictionwise.com and "Ferengi Rules of Acquisition", The Klingon Hamlet, and "The Starfleet Survival Guide" on Simon & Schuster's own website.

Has anybody here ever had success with personally requested titles to be made available as eBooks from a publisher as large as Simon & Schuster?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The new DS9 The Soul Key book due on the 28th is $6.39 at Amazon and $5.37 ($0.64 in rewards) in ePub or eReader at BooksOnBoard.

And finally the retail price it back to $7.99 instead of $9.99.