Notices

Old 07-24-2009, 07:32 AM   #16
NightWhistler
Developer of PageTurner
NightWhistler began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3, Asus Transformer Prime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Because your ASUS and HTC use ActiveSync, they are NOT a UMS Device. You USB Key Drive NEED to be safely removed, like the Cybook.

And the 1.4.923 should be nearly the same as the MobileRead one
Anybody running Linux should be fairly familiar with this process of mounting and unmounting. Windows pretty much works the same way though, it's just less explicit about it.

The problem is buffering: your OS tends to be 'smart' about copying things to USB drives. This means that when it reports that it's done copying data to the device, what it really means is:

'I'm done reading all the data that I'm going to copy to the device, and I've queued it to be written'.

Try this by copying a big file to the device, and immediately selecting "safely remove hardware". It will often ask you to wait for a few seconds while all the buffers are emptied and data is copied.

If you simply pop out the device without safely removing it, you might be stuck with a partial file, or worse: a corrupted filesystem.
NightWhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:27 AM   #17
rireed3
Connoisseur
rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook 1, Cybook Gen3
Thanks for the explanations.

I'm familiar with the concepts, but only ever had ActiveSync on USB. My only removable mass storage for years has been burned CD-ROM.

Richard
rireed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #18
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
I've had problems on Windows PCs with over enthusiastic virus scanners and other background programs that access mounted drives without your knowledge. Now whilst they shouldn't cause problems (as they are only reading), they can confuse some of the marked states on files and drives.

Hence regardless of the settings, I always unmount disks. I've had sufficiently nasty problems (not with liseuse, but with other devices) that I'll even shut down the Windows machine if the unmount says please try later....
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #19
momghoti
Zealot
momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Bookeen
Quote:
Hence regardless of the settings, I always unmount disks. I've had sufficiently nasty problems (not with liseuse, but with other devices) that I'll even shut down the Windows machine if the unmount says please try later....
What do you mean by that? I had a situation today when the Remove Hardware Safely asked me to try later but I *really* needed to detach the cybook--Windows was trying to do an upgrade and kept wanting to restart. It took about ten minutes for the RHS to let me disconnect. Can there be a problem with the detachable storage that could keep it from safely being removed? Hung, as it were?
momghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:33 AM   #20
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by momghoti View Post
What do you mean by that? I had a situation today when the Remove Hardware Safely asked me to try later but I *really* needed to detach the cybook--Windows was trying to do an upgrade and kept wanting to restart. It took about ten minutes for the RHS to let me disconnect. Can there be a problem with the detachable storage that could keep it from safely being removed? Hung, as it were?
If I get the "please try later" message, it usually means that something is accessing the device. In my case, this is typically either virus scanner or backup software or windows indexing service (which seems to have an ability to restart itself no matter how enthusiastically I tell it the service should not be started...). Typically these are background things that I have no real idea if they are running until I get these sorts of messages.

Now most of those only read data, so generally unplugging at that point doesn't cause a problem, but at least some filesystems (NTFS is an example; I'm not sure about FAT) do keep markers that say a filesystem is "in use" which can confuse things. Also, without knowning how the device behaves, it is possible that it gets confused if it is trying to respond to a read request to a host computer from which it has been disconnected. This is typically why remove processes say "Please wait" at this point (it can also cause nasty problems for the process reading the data, if it is not well written...).

I have used the shutdown/restart to release the device in which case I pull the USB cable out once the host computer has shutdown.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2009, 09:21 AM   #21
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by momghoti View Post
I had that message sometimes too. That was because of calibre that was attempting to load the Cybook content, or Mobipocket Reader. I take the precaution to close all the programs that could be accessing the Cybook before using the RHS.
From time to time, nonetheless, I have the message again, because Mobipocket Reader is not well closed : its process is still running (reader.exe).
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote