Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #16
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Well that was a lacklustre event. Basically a point release upgrade for OS X, a new overly-expensive macbook and a phone that is only just getting around to to doing what phones have been doing for the last five years (3MP camera, VGA video capture, voice dialling).

No tablets, no 'one more thing'. When did Apple become more boring than MS?
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #17
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Actually, iceberg gets good reviews for page look.

But each book is an APPLICATION! Bleh.

So, don't use the freaking thing. All we need is another idiotic format.

Of course, there are other options for the iPhone (if anyone wants to read on it for extensive periods of time.) So, I hope iceberg dies quickly.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Iceberg is going to melt.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #19
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I don't see how this is 'new.' I have been happily and easily reading on my iPod Touch for some time now with Stanza and eReader, and both give me more flexibility and control than this 'Iceberg' seems to...

If Apple wants to get into ebooks, I would rather it be with cool hardware at this point. That is an area where the market could imho stand some innovation still...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #20
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Yeah, THAT's how you do an upgrade price.

And Leopard wasn't the steaming pile Vista was (though, admittedly, got much better after the SP).
90% of vista's suckyness was poor driver support, and new permissions that people werent used to.

everything is still the same in win 7 (they toned down the permissions just a tad.. but only a tad) but now everyone has drivers already cause it's the same as vistas.

vista isn't the pile of crap people says it is. it was just different.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #21
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Well that was a lacklustre event. Basically a point release upgrade for OS X, a new overly-expensive macbook and a phone that is only just getting around to to doing what phones have been doing for the last five years (3MP camera, VGA video capture, voice dialling).

No tablets, no 'one more thing'. When did Apple become more boring than MS?
apple hit the iphone from the other direction, they made a great multimedia device, then added the phone part to it.

unlike everyone else who makes a phone and then adds multimedia. the iphone IS a good phone, and its done more for smart phones than anything else.

but it's a nice "upgrade" none the less. mainly its just a price drop. with slightly better features, you cant ask for more. faster and cheaper. that was what apple did. and that's good.

they are getting around to more phone things. but this thing is gonna have the same camera my ATT tilt has, and its still a crappy camera in anything but full sun.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:38 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
vista isn't the pile of crap people says it is. it was just different.
Vista is a rotting stinking pile of crap.

Windows 7 is more backwards compatible for one thing so more software works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #23
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
apple hit the iphone from the other direction, they made a great multimedia device, then added the phone part to it.

unlike everyone else who makes a phone and then adds multimedia. the iphone IS a good phone, and its done more for smart phones than anything else.

but it's a nice "upgrade" none the less. mainly its just a price drop. with slightly better features, you cant ask for more. faster and cheaper. that was what apple did. and that's good.

they are getting around to more phone things. but this thing is gonna have the same camera my ATT tilt has, and its still a crappy camera in anything but full sun.
Actually, I find the iPhone to be just an okay phone. However, I bought one to surf the web, etc and the phone part was not a primary consideration so it was a good fit for me.

I'm upgrading when the 3G S comes out (already have the 32GB pre-ordered actually). I have one of the older 16GB EDGE models, and I don't know if it's just me, but EDGE is much, much slower nowadays compared to before.

Now if only AT&T will allow tethering...

The Iceberg, though? Not so cool...
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #24
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Vista is a rotting stinking pile of crap.

Windows 7 is more backwards compatible for one thing so more software works.
Apples are tastier than apples?

Windows 7 is more a stability and preformance release, with some UI improvements and a few great new additions (PowerShell v2!).

[Edit]

This really isn't helping things stay on topic, huh?

I do hope that Apple does a tablet, I would like to see if they can make them work more succesfully.

Last edited by CleverClothe; 06-08-2009 at 10:40 PM.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:36 PM   #25
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Maybe IceBerg is just meant to break the ice for better things to follow that can use a million books and newspapers. Something like a book reader with a bigger, more flexible, more colorful screen.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:51 AM   #26
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
It was intresting following the Keynote on the Blogs, and through a Pirate stream as there was no official Apple Audio or video Stream.

While there were no major show stoppers, there were a few interesting hardware upgrades

Macbook Pro -

Moving the 13" to the Pro line was pretty well expected, and the drop in price was Nice.

While the Firewire was a great addition (Which they should never have taken off) , I actually wished they had added an Express card slot as I wanted to be able to add additional suppot for things like Esata.

That Brings us to the 15". Dropping the Express card ? Ok while most people did not use it that regularly, for those who need additional expandability it was a must. And just dropping in a SD slot and not even a Multicard reader ?

Finally the Battery. OK Long battery life, but non replaceable. and Keeping in mind what the usual half life of battery's is,expect to pay to upgrade 2-3 years down the line.

Overall wile its a nice upgrade, there are a few decisions that have me scratching my head.

Still with me being on the market for a new Computer, I'm looking between the new 13" Pro or one of the older 15" ones which should probably be available at reduced prices.

Macbook -

The upgrade a few days ago, bough its specs in line with most newer notebooks, so not much to tell.

Macbook Air -

Spec boost and a drop in Price, has bought this down to reasonably affordable level, once you take out the Apple Tax for those people who want the lightest Mac notebook,

Iphone 3Gs -

While its a nice Upgrade performance wise (Probably Faster Processor and more RAM) and some Nicce hardware upgrades such as the Camera, Nike+, compass, etc Its not that major an upgrade that I expect a large number of existing 3G uses to upgrade untill their current contracts expire, next year in most cases.

Thats the reason they probably left the 3G in the Portfolio, to cater to the people who don't need all the wizzbang features or performance boost of the 3Gs.

Overall an Evolutionary Upgrade rather then something revolutionary.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:20 AM   #27
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
The iphone was always about marketing, not about real performance. Featurewise it has yet to catch up in many ways to WM phones from 3-4 years ago, even after the latest upgrade. The iphone is great for those who want the big nanny to tell them what they can and cannot do. Nice looking hardware for those who don't need many features and when performance is not an issue.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:51 AM   #28
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
The iphone was always about marketing, not about real performance. Featurewise it has yet to catch up in many ways to WM phones from 3-4 years ago, even after the latest upgrade. The iphone is great for those who want the big nanny to tell them what they can and cannot do. Nice looking hardware for those who don't need many features and when performance is not an issue.

I wouldn't go that Far. Having used WM since Pocket PC 2002 the OS while powerful has always been a little awkward to use.

Thats what the iPone really benefits from really. While Powerful in itself, the what the OS really brings to the table is a really good user interface, which while not without its share of issues is a lot more easier to use for most common, non technical people.

That's what brings us to one of the greatest strengths but also the greatest weaknesses of Windows Mobile. For an experience, technical user the OS offers incomparable versatility in what is possible to do, and can and does provide a very powerful platform.

The Problem is that that same versatility makes it awkward and often difficult to use for no technical users, especially when device manufactures or carriers have not optimised it properly. Thats one of the major advantages that Apple has, that with limited hardware options, tey are able to optimise the OS for the device, something which most WM Manufactures or resellers usually don't bother with.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:07 AM   #29
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Have to disagree, and rather strongly. I've had a couple of HTCs before, and my current phone is an HTC as well, running modified WM6.1 (the UI of WM6.5 is unusable, IMO.)

My wife has an iPhone. The overall user experience with the iPhone is so much better, it's not even funny. I've been envious for a couple of years now....

I was waiting for turn by turn, for when I travel. The new iPhone has it, so tomorrow I am calling to place an order for the 32gig version.

If Apple brings a similar UI to a tablet, with either a Pixel Qi or an OLED screen, it will be a huge hit. They really know how to do "user experience," and at the end of the day, that's what really matters..., at least to users.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:08 AM   #30
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I have an Iphone and several WM phones. Well, you are making my point. On the iphone the user experience is what Apple gives you, on the WM phone you can make it any way you like it. Yes, it takes some work to get it just right. But on my main Windows phone I can run slingplayer to listen to the news, have an IM program and the browser running in the background, and write an e-mail at the same time. It doesn't slow down at all.

For the iphone I even have to program every phone number twice (with country code and without) since networks tend to send it in both formats and the Iphone can't tell it is the same contact. Choose several items in a list? Forget it, one at a time. Etc, etc. Agree that the iphone is easy to use, that is because it lacks most functions. Of course, the market has spoken, Apple is the marketing master. But if "sells more" equals "is better" then ereaders would have disappeared long ago and we would all be reading on netbooks. An iTablet would be nice for browsing, but reading books on a regular LCD or even OLED? I know a lot of people do it. Maybe we should invest in companies that sell glasses, contact lenses and eye surgery? That will be a booming business.

The iphone brought us a lot of good things, bigger screens, cheaper prices, etc. So I am glad we have it. And it is the phone of choice for those who are not really interested in technology.

There actually are dozens of great interfaces available for WM, but I just prefer the simplicity of a home sceen with all the necessary items instead of all that eye candy. Well, I have a factory unlocked iphone 3G to sell, if I get any decent offers.

An iTablet with a Pixel Qi screen, bring it on!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote